Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco EPC2425 v Scientific Atlanta EPC2203

• 17-02-2010 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

I recently had UPC installed and was given the Cisco EPC2425. Now, I haven't had a chance to mess around with it. I bought a Netgear WND3700 Wireless N dualband router, which is pretty much the best you can currently get, with the intention of setting my UPC supplied wireless cable modem to bridging mode and then let my own wireless router handle everything. Having done some reading here, I see that's not really possible. Just by chance, someone in work brought in their UPC supplied Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 cable modem as they want me to have a look at it as they can't seem to get it working. It looks fine to me. I think the person probably thinks its supposed to be wireless. Anyway, what I want to know is if I can simply switch these modems i.e. give him my Cisco and I take his SA, will they work. I know both modems are the property of UPC but my question is, can these be reset to factory defaults, which will then work fine when powered back up even though they are now at different locations? I remember with the old cable modem NTL used to supply, you could leave it switched off for a few hours and then power it back up connected to a different device as it used to use MAC addresses to tie it down. Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

No you can't. The modem they give you is yours until you surrender it upon cancellation as it identifies you on their network.

Its not like DSL where you can use any modem you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Ok. So I need to contact UPC to get a SA sent out to me and the guy in work needs to do the same to get a wireless router or else buy one himself and plug straight into his SA.

Advertisement