Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit info

Options
  • 17-02-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Looking to get my girlfriend a rabbit as she keeps saying she wants one. Just looking for some info on where i can get a good healthy one along with a hutch ( not too expensive but a decent one). Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Rabbits make great house pets and can be house trained, you just need to do a bit of bunny proofing(wires and stuff that can be chewed need to be covered or hidden) and are very entertaining. Usually recommended that they are kept in pairs(not always male and female) and neutered.
    You can get great indoor cages and toys, and loads of info online.
    There are loads of different breeds, and colours so you may want to do some research yourself to figure out what she might like.
    Try online pet stores
    http://www.pet-bliss.ie/acatalog/Small_Animals.html
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/rodents/cages

there's a couple to get started, I'm sure someone on here can give advice to best cages and places to source a Bun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Try the irish guinea pig forum and there's an irish rabbit forum as well, should come up if you google it.

However get her a book on rabbits first, the need more care and space than people think and it's not really fair on the rabbit to just get the one. If getting one plan to get the bun spayed/neutered and then get them a spayed/neutered buddy.

Or perhaps adopt a bonded pair from rescue the DSPCA and LAW sometimes have rabbits looking for homes.

Don't forget the cost of vaccinations which must be done wether indoors or outdoors for VHD and Myxomatosis, also rabbit health insurance will save you a fortune in the end. Ensure there's a very experienced rabbit vet in your area, otherwise it's a nightmare when they get sick.

Rabbits also need daily cleaning and pee everywhere and spray pee on walls etc. neutering helps with this and their tantrums.

It's too cold to put a rabbit outside just yet a rabbit that has come from a shop or indoor breeder can't be put out until around May when the weather warms up, and really no rabbit should be left out in winter time the minimum they should have is a warm shed over winter.
    So many people find their rabbits dead in hutches every winter and wonder why..they can be prone to respiratory infections etc. and the damp and cold doesn't help.

zooplus do some good indoor cages if outdoors hutches aren't as practical as sheds, with hutches you have to bend over and get soaked in the rain at least with a small shed you can stand upright to clean the rabbit out and not get soaked plus they are generally cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

www.irishrabbits.proboards.com Lot's of very knowledgable and dedicated bunny owners over there. Maybe your girlfriend could join?

guineapigrescue gave you lots of good information there. I would say that rabbits are a very big commitment, much more then people think. Their care and supplies cost way, way more then people think. I would suggest setting aside at least €500 for the rabbit. To cover rabbit, vaccines, cage, spay/neuteur (essential for an indoor rabbit & if your getting another), hidey house, hay, food, water bottle, food bowls, veggies, bedding and things to keep him/her occupied in the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jackreds

Got great info there thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

go to http://www.bunspace.com/ not to many people on the proboards site. Bunspace is great for advice and people are very helpful there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

The good thing about Irish Rabbits is it is just Irish people, so you can relate to them more :) Plus it can only grow if people join, it is getting bigger all the time with near 200 members :)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Ye your dead right. I joined a couple of weeks back and have posted a few times there. Hope it gets bigger but if you need to find good info bunspace is still the best place to go bar none

Advertisement