Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can any bands of the 90's/00's stand the test of time?

Options
  • 17-02-2010 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey Folks.....I have had several heated debates with friends over this subject while enjoying a few pints & it always gets the same reaction …” hmmmm”:confused: ….. followed by a few hours of arguments!

Most folks these days are aware & enjoy listening to music/bands from as far back as the 1950’s… to name a few of the obvious ones that live on….the Beatles, the Kinks, Led Zeppelin, the Doors, the Stones ,the Who, Jimi Hendrix, etc

Here is the question? Of all the bands that popped up in the nineties/noughties, can any of them stand the test of time? In 50 years time, will the next generation of music fans enjoy the music of our generation & have the same appreciation we have for bands of the past!!! OR will the bands named above continue to live on surpassing most of the more recent stuff!

Let me start the ball rolling, here are some that I think might stand a shot… Radiohead, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, REM, U2, Kings of Leon, Cheryl Cole (just kidding on the last one :D….. I hope :eek:)

Interested in your responses!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'd have REM as an 80's band.

Wilco for me still be great in 50 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'd say it's still too early to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The 90s bands sure, 00s bands like KOL I hope not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I'd imagine the White Stripes will stand up pretty well, I don't exactly like them but I wouldn't be surprised.

I'd say Muse but sure they've been around a good 20 years now already, though they have only really become seriously popular in the 00's afaik.

If more people listened to The Black Keys, they'd last, but they're unlucky insofar that nobody really knows about them. Same goes for Sigur Ros, imo. Them in particular because they have a completely different sound, nobody's ever really made music like them before, and that's how all the "classic" bands got started-- by bringing something new to the table that maybe wasn't that well received by the masses at the beginning but has fallen into legend.

I just hate people saying "oh, the 90's and 00's had no good music, there will be no classics," etc.
    Put it into perspective: do you really WANT music like what was already done to death in the 60's and 70's? Replicas? Yeah, the stuff is new and it doesn't sound like the old stuff, but that's a good thing, and what we think now of 90's and 00's-era music is exactly what people were thinking during the 60's and 70's.

Christ, people in the 90's were saying how much the music of their generation sucked, but for us to look back on it there's plenty of really good stuff, the grunge movement in particular.

Cop on a bit, really. The only reason you think all music in this era is crap is because you only hear what's played on the radio instead of putting in any kind of earnest effort. The radio has never been a good indicator of what's actually good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

There are a sh1t load of bands from the last 20 years that will still get airplay and have a big following in 20 years.
    Radiohead
    Stone Roses
    Nirvana
    The Prodigy
    Beck
    Coldplay
    Air
    Oasis
    Jeff buckley
    etc etc etc

All of these are part of the soundtrack of our generation and will live on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Blur, Radiohead, Stone Roses, Nirvana, The Prodigy, Oasis, etc will all go down as massive bands that people will be listening to 20 years from now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

I'd say it's still too early to tell.
    I agree it's too early to understand. Today we can see so many talented musicians and maybe in twenty years we will talk about legends but right now.. just enyoj.
    And it's so many influences of the other music styles I thihk it's interesting time anyways so we'll see we'll see..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Megane

I've had that same conversation with my friends too, so I understand... its an interesting question... one that only time can answer really!

So I would agree that it is too early to tell, but in my opinion many of the great bands already metioned above will still be played & loved in years to come... one of my stubborn friends believes that none of the bands will be played & that a new type of music will be at the forefront!!! I really doubt this will happen but who knows.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

well upon reflection I'd like to see Sigur Ros, Muse, ATDI, TMV and Opeth stand the test of time if we're talking about bands that really got famous in the 00s. I didn't know Muse were that old, they only started around 1999/98 afaik. Anyway these were good 00s bands imo, a shame that Sigur Ros didn't get the credit they deserve, commercially speaking.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

A lot of the electronica that broke through to chart/commercial success during the 90s will stand the test of time - The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Orbital, The Orb, Leftfield, Underworld etc.

The 90s was very much a decade of dance/electronica and will always be remembered for that, be it more commercially successful as those already mentioned, or the multitudes of lesser-known more underground electronic acts of the period, along with the scene, culture, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

The Strokes from early '00s are an obvious choice for me.

Distinctive guitar sound/vocals.

There are others of course but they stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭dasdog

Felixdhc wrote: »
    A lot of the electronica that broke through to chart/commercial success during the 90s will stand the test of time - The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Orbital, The Orb, Leftfield, Underworld

What will be proven good depends on if the music sounded attempted at the time and if someone was recording it in an attempt to jump on a bandwagon. Those above and I reckon Photek, Aphex Twin and although undergound Eat Static may be looked on favourably. There have been some really good bands in 90's/00's but rock mark IXVIII hasn't produced many outstanders. Things seem to have been going in to subsets of subets without any overall new musical genre appearing i.e., something not guitar band based or dance/electronic based or the produced three minute pop sound or rap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

What, no Pearl Jam?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Afghan Whigs
    Godspeed You Black Emperor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

McChubbin wrote: »
    What, no Pearl Jam?! :eek:

This!

Pearl Jam will age the best of all the 'grunge' bands, and even all the 90's bands IMO, up there with Radiohead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

It's impossible to say really. I imagine the groups that will be remembered are the ones that broke new ground.

White Stripes? Please!:pac:. All they are is a watered down version of garage rock bands from the 60s (with a crap drummer). I don't hate their music but they have not made any ground breaking original music. If people want to listen to that music in 20 years, they will most likely throw on Zeppelin, MC5 etc.

If I am to pick one I would put my money on Radiohead to stand the test of time well. From OK Computer onwards they really have pushed the boundaries. Probably the most innovative big band of the last 20 years.

Nirvana will stand the test of time too imo. They epitomised the grunge era. The fact so many teenagers still cite them as their favourite band 16 years onward is a good indication that their music is here for the long haul.

Other bands I reckon have the "timeless" value are The Stone Roses (Madchester Sound), Prodigy and Chemical Brothers (joining the dots of rock and electronica). Aphex Twin. Arcade Fire.

I believe there will be kids in 20 years that will listen to A Tribe Called Quest and be sickened they were not around for the golden era of hip hop. Much in the way many of us currently feel about rock n roll music.

In summary I don't think any revival groups will stand the rest of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

^ I think Pearl Jam will sound a lot better in 20 years than Nirvana tbh. Their songs are about contemporary topics such as suicide, unemployment, war etc, while Nirvana's music sounds a lot more 'grungey'. Not that thats a bad thing, just don't think it will make them as relevant in 20 or 30 years.

Also forgot to say Rage Against the Machine - a genre defining band IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

liah wrote: »

If more people listened to The Black Keys, they'd last, but they're unlucky insofar that nobody really knows about them. Same goes for Sigur Ros, imo. Them in particular because they have a completely different sound, nobody's ever really made music like them before, and that's how all the "classic" bands got started-- by bringing something new to the table that maybe wasn't that well received by the masses at the beginning but has fallen into legend.

+1 on the Black Keys. Absolutely quality and their progression from The Big Come up in 2002 to Blakroc last year has been great to follow.

Also agree with other on Pearl Jam, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Chuniqu

The Black Keys seem to be getting the thumbs up all around.... I must admit, I have never heard of them until now, but had a quick listen there now & I'm liking so far!

As for the replies so far, it seems that "its too early to tell" is the general concensus, but I'm glad to see nobody is disagreeing that the bands mentioned above will be around in years to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

The band that we'll view in 20 years the way The Rolling Stones, The Who, E Street Band, etc are viewed now will be Pearl Jam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

The Prodigy definately, Leftfield, Orbital, Daft Punk, Acen. As for the 00's, I really can't think of any.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Without a shadow of a doubt, Daft Punk.
    LCD Soundsystem
    Elliott Smith
    Radiohead
    Wilco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

I totally agree with Pearl jam and one of very few of todays bands that could stand toe to toe live with any of the great yesteryear bands

Advertisement