Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malin Head station to become automated this year

Options
  • 17-02-2010 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭

More sad new today on the Six One News as the Malin Head station will becom fully automated later this year, with the 6 full time employees being relocated elsewhere. Sad news, with yet another important station being demoted into automation and the problems that brings - lack of proper weather observations for one. We've already seen Kilkenny, Rosslare, Birr, Mullingar, Claremorris all go the same way, where will be next - Valentia? You just can't beat human observations.....was that recent precipitation rain or sleet or snow or hail? We see many reports of UP (Unidentified Precipitation) from some of the current stations as it is, now another. What about cloud identification for synoptic reports?

Things are going the wrong way... :mad:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0217/6news_av.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Wholeheartedly agree with everything you said Su Campu. It is a crying shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Danno wrote: »
    Wholeheartedly agree with everything you said Su Campu. It is a crying shame.
    +1

Too many things are going automated these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

Su Campu wrote: »
    More sad new today on the Six One News as the Malin Head station will becom fully automated later this year, with the 6 full time employees being relocated elsewhere. Sad news, with yet another important station being demoted into automation and the problems that brings - lack of proper weather observations for one. We've already seen Kilkenny, Rosslare, Birr, Mullingar, Claremorris all go the same way, where will be next - Valentia? You just can't beat human observations.....was that recent precipitation rain or sleet or snow or hail? We see many reports of UP (Unidentified Precipitation) from some of the current stations as it is, now another. What about cloud identification for synoptic reports?

Things are going the wrong way... :mad:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0217/6news_av.html
    I agree, but still. It takes 6 people to run a 24/7/365 station. That's 6 wages. Hard to justify in the current political/economic, anti-publicservice "climate". Apart from the airports now there's just Valentia and Belmullet, and I'll bet they're not too far from being automated either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

octo wrote: »
    I agree, but still. It takes 6 people to run a 24/7/365 station. That's 6 wages. Hard to justify in the current political/economic, anti-publicservice "climate". Apart from the airports now there's just Valentia and Belmullet, and I'll bet they're not too far from being automated either.

If they are being relocated, won't that still be 6 wages? and 6 wages without the human observations at Malin Head?

I agree with comments above, sad news, but sign of the times we are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

If they are being relocated, won't that still be 6 wages? and 6 wages without the human observations at Malin Head?
    Big staff reductions recently in ME, there's a recruitment embargo so retirements aren't being replaced. They're mainly being relocated into HQ to fill these gaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Do they use a Video feed?

Advertisement