Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Hand Furniture

Options
  • 17-02-2010 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi All,

Anyone konw anywhere in or around the city that sells reasonable quality second hand furniture? I'm trying to help a relative furnish a flat for herself and the budget is small.

Appreciate any info any of you may have.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Vincent de Paul have a good shop on Merchants road and Simon have a place in what used to be Higgins', just accross from the entrance to Highfield. They really really helpful in there. I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

As above poster said, you can find good bargains in St. Vincent de Paul on merchants road. I think they have a new load of stock on wednesday mornings. It's not all great obviously but there are some bargains to be got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

VdP show is only open one day per week .. I think it's Friday, could be wrong. Whatever day, get there at opening time: good stuff is sold as soon as it appears.

There's also the CashFactory is Liosbaun, and another one (can't remember the name) in Ballybane industrial estate.

And she could always try Galway Freecycle (it's a Yahoo group ... google it for details)

I used to see a van called 'not new trading' going around - not sure where they are based or if they are still in business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

There's a place in Ballybane Ind Est opposite McDonagh's that sell furniture and things-JW something or other. There are deals to be got in there at times.

You could also try jumbletown.ie(might be .com). Everything on the site is free. There's a fair bit of junk but also the odd jem!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

adverts.ie or jumbletown.ie

Is the flat for 'herself' to live in or to rent out? If it's to rent out I'd respectfully suggest that a penny saved now is a pound lost later...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

You could maybe hire a van and go to Ikea as their prices are not a lot different from second hand and you get something nice looking as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 King Nut

Thanks a million for replies guys, lots of info/leads to follow up. The flat is her own (just purchased through affordable housing) so point the about saving pennies now is well made. TBH we hadn't considered the IKEA option, I have access to a van so might be worth pursuing that one.... I talked to her again last night after posting and it she seems cool on the secondhand idea, will try to take a spin arouind with her this w/end and check out Simon & Vincent shops at least.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Have a half notion that the Simon furniture shop may only be open Fridays...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Not second hand.. but if you're considering IKEA it might also be worth a look in Merlin Park Furniture. We found it very good when furnishing our flat a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

not new in ballybane isn't worth wasting your time with, in my opinion.

The prices are ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

King Nut wrote: »
    Hi All,

Anyone konw anywhere in or around the city that sells reasonable quality second hand furniture? I'm trying to help a relative furnish a flat for herself and the budget is small.

Appreciate any info any of you may have.

Cheers

If you are going to Dublin, this may be worth checking out. I found it by mistake, so don't know how it works but I'm sure you can find out yourself.

http://www.dublinwaste.ie/free_trade_list.php?category_id=12

Would of course endorse IKEA as well, you have to get the meatballs there as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Try freecycle, the galway one on yahoo groups. Book shelves are at a premium there. Also carboot sales. It might be a bit early in the year but there's one in Tuamgraney every week and one in Kilchreest in Loughrea. There'll be one in may in Galway city.

My mate picked up a dining room suite for €70 in the terryland carboot sale. It was worth about €359 new in Reids!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

SVdeP are good, but you have to get there early to get good stuff, it's a bit of a jungle in the shop sometimes!

Rant on Simon, sorry...
    The prices in the Simon on Rahoon Rd are pretty mental imo, a I saw table was more spendy than the same one new in Terryland!:eek: They are now open Wed and Fri..

A friend hadn't enough cash (there was no barganing either, difference of a tenner on a larger item) so went home for 10 mins to get it, came back and was told the item had been promised to someone earlier that morning (ie the friend of the salesperson who she phoned *in front of my friend* to say someone else was buying it and did they want it after all?). The sales assistant was from a non English speaking country (not mentioning which,as that's neither here nor there) and made the call to the friend not realising my pal spoke the same language!!
    Not good for Simon, these practices, and the staff in town are usually lovely.

Freecycle, Free section on adverts.ie, Jumbletown, and car boot sales are great if you have transport and not in a mad rush to get the first thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kathiiford

You can find inexpensive used furnishings on the market in a wide range of locations. Most generally it is marketed through regional categorized ads or at currently have. If you select to go to one of these, just be sure that you have a way to shift your furnishings on the day of the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is old, 2010, and hopefully the original poster have sorted it by now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement