Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasted Heritage Buildings - Your nominations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,821 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

i thought custom house was under utilised, and getting run down.

alot of these places, they could certainly become attractive locations for tourists to visit but i don't think they could be run without some other income like concerts etc, which locals might not like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

images%3Fq%3Dwonderful%2Bbarn%2Bleixlip%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1

The Wonderful Barn in Leixlip. Its just off the M4 before the celbridge off ramp. it origins are sketchy- i'm guessing was originally part of nearby castletown estate, possibly used as a granary.
    Anyway i think its a fantastic looking unique building- unfortunately its only purpose these days looks like for knacker drinkng. would love to see it preserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

wonderfulbarn1.jpg

The Wonderful Barn - further historical and architectural info here: http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=KD&regno=11901102

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Ah I was wondering if The wonderful barn (and the smaller dove cote one behind it) would get a mention on your list. I think they are privately owned, so depending on which way you look at it they have a greater chance or less chance of being restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'm including this building but i'm not sure what it's present status is. I grew up a couple of miles from 'The Obelisk' as it was known locally and visited it many times. When i was a young fella you could go up to the middle landing via a staircase. The views across pre-built up Leixlip and Celbridge were fabulous on a clear day. It was blocked up some years ago,H&S would deem it a hazard now as there were no guard rails to stop you falling over the edge!!

2602364330_4f65f4e04d.jpg

• Advertisement

I believe Mariga Guinness, one of the founders of the Irish Georgian Society, is buried under the Connolly Folly. It certainly is very worthy of preservation and I know maintenance work has been carried out on it in relatively recent years. :)

I believe Mariga Guinness, one of the founders of the Irish Georgian Society, is buried under the Connolly Folly. It certainly is very worthy of preservation and I know maintenance work has been carried out on it in relatively recent years. :)

I might take a spin up that way at some stage this week to see what it's like now,i'll take a few snaps while i'm at it.:)

Today, one from really close to home - the old windmill on Vinegar Hill in Enniscorthy, County Wexford. Apparently the windmill building was already derelict when the hill was occupied by Irish rebels during the 1798 rebellion. The windmill itself is an unimposing structure which has changed little in the forty years since I first saw it, but it is part of an immensely important battle site which was pivotal in the smashing of the rebel cause in 1798. On the 21st June 1798, a 20,000 strong force of Crown troops commanded by General Lake faced a similar number of rebels encamped on the hill. A seemingly strong position, when viewed from the west, the hill can be easily approached from the east and the well equipped Crown forces soon dislodged the rebels but failed to complete the defeat by cutting off their retreat to Wexford.
    Today the hill is popular with cider drinkers, quad bikers and yobs who delight in setting fire to the surrounding gorse. What, in any other country, would have been developed as a major heritage/tourist attraction is a mess and the town derives zero benefit from its proximity to the site.

Contrast the 'development' of the Vinegar Hill Battlefield with that of the English Battle of Hastings site here: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.14118

vinegarhill.jpg

lord lucan wrote: »
    I might take a spin up that way at some stage this week to see what it's like now,i'll take a few snaps while i'm at it.:)

Went for a spin today as far as Connollys folly. Didn't take any snaps but the entire thing is surrounded by scaffolding and there were a few lads working away on it. It's surrounded by a perimiter fence so there was no way of going in for a closer look but it appears to be getting some work done to it which is good news.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its also their logo:

http://www.igs.ie/

• Advertisement

Haulbowline Island in Cork Harbour is home to the Irish Naval Service and is littered with important buildings of historic significance having been an important naval base for over 200 years. The closure of the ISPAT (formerly Irish Steel) plant on the island some years ago has freed up space for tourism and heritage development but little has happened to date. While searching for a suitable pic I came across this interesting report prepared for the Heritage Council in 2007 which proposed that a National Maritime Museum be created on part of the site. http://www.heritagecouncil.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/Publications/Museums_and_Archive/Scoping_Maritime_Report.pdf
    The report also contains lists of various 'preserved' items of marine/water interest including some of the inmates at the old Daingean Reformatory referred to elsewhere in this thread. The pic below shows one of the Storehouses which was being considered in the report but which was destroyed by fire less than a year later.

00015c9610dr.jpg

I also came across this great You Tube video about Camden Fort (near Crosshaven) another great collection of historic State-owned buildings being let go to rack and ruin. Note the narrow gauge railway tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,292 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I posted the Customs House in the thread cos it's a fantastic building that houses civil servants.

Therefore it's a wasted heritage building.

not too difficult to understand I hope....
    As opposed to its original use?
    Properly developed it could be an enormous tourist attraction for the Capital and the rest of us could get a proper look inside the place. Perhaps now that the State now owns 15% of BoI they should take the buildings too in return for the impending further investment? :D
    I agree that it's a shame that it's a bank. But I fail to see how it could be a tourist attraction. Obviously, its interesting to irish people, but there is no way it would pull in enough yanks to make it viable.
    I'd rather it was part of irelands national museums over most possible uses.
    The Wonderful Barn in Leixlip. Its just off the M4 before the celbridge off ramp. it origins are sketchy- i'm guessing was originally part of nearby castletown estate, possibly used as a granary.
    Anyway i think its a fantastic looking unique building- unfortunately its only purpose these days looks like for knacker drinkng. would love to see it preserved.
    It's orgins aren't sketchy, it was built as a semi-folly by the Conellys (specificly Katherine), and therefore part of the Castle town estate (makes it celbridge not leixlip :D). And it was a granary. other suggestions are mistake, like dovecote , a mix up with the dovecotes nearby, or shooting tower, again dove links.

It's under private ownership, on the lands of a pub or breakfast house or something.
    lord lucan wrote: »
    I'm including this building but i'm not sure what it's present status is. I grew up a couple of miles from 'The Obelisk' as it was known locally and visited it many times. When i was a young fella you could go up to the middle landing via a staircase. The views across pre-built up Leixlip and Celbridge were fabulous on a clear day. It was blocked up some years ago,H&S would deem it a hazard now as there were no guard rails to stop you falling over the edge!!

2602364330_4f65f4e04d.jpg
    This is Conellys folly, also by Katherine. Never served a purpose expect keeping guys in jobs during the famine. Castletown is pretty well funded, so I doubt there is a chance of this falling into disrepair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Celbridge

Donaghcumper Desmesne and the Historic buildings, trees, vistas and protected boundary walls are under threat from developers Devondale/Durkan Brothers.

even in these economic times Kildare County Council have granted planning on a development that will drive an un-needed and unwanted bridge accross the Liffey at the parochial house (protected) ripping down trees (protected) and destroying vistas that have been enjoyed by walkers for generations.

8 storey glass buildings that can be seen in Dublins docklands have no place in this rural setting.

follow Donaghcumper on twitter and Donagh Cumper on facebook. show the Public representatives that their "job" is to represent the PUBLIC.

please lobby Kildare County Councilors at every opportunity

The rape of the countryside will continue until we say enough

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I know for sure there's a castle around here somewhere but no one knows the name or exact location because its not well known but i there a few years ago.

I heard a few of the older people saying that a good few years ago all the contents of it were taken and sold on but nothing could be done to stop it because it's not owned by anyone i dont think.
    I went looking around for it there last month but couldn't find it,dunno if it was knocked or if i was going the complete wrong way:pac:

There was a megolitchic tomb aswell but the whole thing was demolished to quarry limestone!
    Can't believe they could let that happen:mad:
    There's actually a really long story behind it..

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

storm2811 wrote: »
    I know for sure there's a castle around here somewhere but no one knows the name or exact location because its not well known but i there a few years ago.

I heard a few of the older people saying that a good few years ago all the contents of it were taken and sold on but nothing could be done to stop it because it's not owned by anyone i dont think.
    I went looking around for it there last month but couldn't find it,dunno if it was knocked or if i was going the complete wrong way:pac:

There was a megolitchic tomb aswell but the whole thing was demolished to quarry limestone!
    Can't believe they could let that happen:mad:
    There's actually a really long story behind it..

Hello storm2811, roughly where in Leitrim was it?
    Thanks

Hello storm2811, roughly where in Leitrim was it?
    Thanks

The castle is around the Lough Rynn/Gortlettera area and the megolithic tomb is on the way to cloone/carrigallen from mohill,nothing left of it now though,just a quarry filled with water and a scrapyard around it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

storm2811 wrote: »
    The castle is around the Lough Rynn/Gortlettera area and the megolithic tomb is on the way to cloone/carrigallen from mohill,nothing left of it now though,just a quarry filled with water and a scrapyard around it:(
    Apart from Lough Rynn House, there is also Lakefield House the other side of the lakes on private land. Wasn't at it in a lifetime but we used to pick mushrooms there as children. Link here. It was run down even then but it is still there, just very overgrown in and around it.

I am originally from Aughavas, on that stretch of road, you say the tomb is from but I can't think of where this one might be. Heres a link to a site, which may help. http://www.irishmegaliths.org.uk/leitrim.htm

If you think of where it might be, just post. Thanks

Apart from Lough Rynn House, there is also Lakefield House the other side of the lakes on private land. Wasn't at it in a lifetime but we used to pick mushrooms there as children. Link here. It was run down even then but it is still there, just very overgrown in and around it.

I am originally from Aughavas, on that stretch of road, you say the tomb is from but I can't think of where this one might be. Heres a link to a site, which may help. http://www.irishmegaliths.org.uk/leitrim.htm

If you think of where it might be, just post. Thanks

Yeah i think lakefield is the place,i'd have to see it to remember but i remember that there wasnt a road leading all the way to it,ya had to walk through a few fields and that.

The tomb is gone now,everything was destroyed when they were bombing to quarry limestone,but theres some long story about a local priest and my dad who found a skull there before it was quarried and tried to stop it happening.The priest died a while ago but i think his name was Fr.Carney?

Irish Independent

By Ralph Riegel

Thursday August 12 2010

AN American nun whose multi-millionaire philanthropist father donated a vast estate to the State has vowed to return when the Government finally honours its promise to her late parents and restores their former home.

The McShane family donated Killarney House in Kerry to the State 20 years ago -- but were then appalled when the house was effectively ignored and allowed fall into near-dereliction.

This was despite the fact it ranks as one of the most historic homes in the south-west -- and boasts an incredible location near the Killarney lakes.

Irish-American construction tycoon, John McShane, was a friend of US President Franklin D Roosevelt as well as several taoisigh. However, John and his wife, Mary, fell in love with Kerry and chose to spend the latter years of their lives in Killarney House from the 1950s.

John left his beloved Irish home as well as substantial property including islands in the Killarney lakes to the Irish State.

However, the State then allowed Killarney House to fall into disrepair and near-dereliction.

John and Mary's only daughter, Pauline, became a nun and has lived a life of devotion and poverty.

When Sr Pauline -- who is now based in Pennsylvania -- first heard of the damage to the house two years ago and the fact that squatters had even taken up residence there, she was heartbroken.

Now, she has warmly welcomed the decision of Environment Minister John Gormley to provide up to €1m for initial preservation and renovation of her parent's beloved home.

"I am delighted. This is something we were hoping for since we turned over the property," she told Radio Kerry.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/donated-ancestral-home-left-derelict-by-state-2293639.html

Killarney%20House.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

AN American nun whose multi-millionaire philanthropist father donated a vast estate to the State has vowed to return when the Government finally honours its promise to her late parents and restores their former home.

Shameful. It really is.

I doubt they'd ever accept the condition but it would be wise to include some kind of non-performance clause when handing over property to the state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nenagh Castle isn't the correct term.
    The Castle walls still exist but very little left.

This is not a castle, it's a keep and there were once five of these surrounding the castle.

Ah when I was but a young lad you could enter this.
    There were shields of family crests on the walls. You could walk up the narrow stairs and overlook the town.

Got shut down mainly for safety reasons plus Castle Park is plagued with knacker drinking.

220px-Nenagh_Castle.jpg

Good news, our useless council after decades of talking finally got around to taking action.
    Also, it's going to be visible from the other side, currently blocked off on that street.
    It's going to the main attraction for the town. The excellent heritage center and restored jail is across the road. There is genealogy service too for tracing relatives.

13th-century-nenagh-castle.jpg

Edit, there on on the right you can see the old Castle walls.
    We used to climb over these as kids :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Surely more could be done with Saint Laurence's gate in Drogheda? Surely one of the finest examples of this type of gate in the world it is located near the center of the town. Unfortunately it is only rarely opened to the public, despite its excellent preservation. Also, traffic is allowed to pass under it, from which vibrations may damage it. Drogheda also has a few other buildings in a much more dilapidated condition which surely could be better utilized.
    1.1254169196.st-laurence-gate.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

zonEEE wrote: »
    Elsinore Lodge

xelsinore.jpg

elsinore.jpg

Yeats home in sligo, i think its gone beyond repair

Simply embarrassing for us as a country. Imagine Wordsworths house in England like that or Goethes in Germany. Shocking, simply shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Simply embarrassing for us as a country. Imagine Wordsworths house in England like that or Goethes in Germany. Shocking, simply shocking.

Surely the Yeats family hqad some say too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Haulbowline Island in Cork Harbour is home to the Irish Naval Service and is littered with important buildings of historic significance having been an important naval base for over 200 years. The closure of the ISPAT (formerly Irish Steel) plant on the island some years ago has freed up space for tourism and heritage development but little has happened to date. While searching for a suitable pic I came across this interesting report prepared for the Heritage Council in 2007 which proposed that a National Maritime Museum be created on part of the site. http://www.heritagecouncil.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/Publications/Museums_and_Archive/Scoping_Maritime_Report.pdf
    The report also contains lists of various 'preserved' items of marine/water interest including some of the inmates at the old Daingean Reformatory referred to elsewhere in this thread. The pic below shows one of the Storehouses which was being considered in the report but which was destroyed by fire less than a year later.

00015c9610dr.jpg

I also came across this great You Tube video about Camden Fort (near Crosshaven) another great collection of historic State-owned buildings being let go to rack and ruin. Note the narrow gauge railway tracks.

Lived on Haulbowline as a child, it is beautiful there and it deserves to be in better condition than it is!!!!

As for Camden fort, went there all the time as a child! Again beautiful spot. You can see into the old showers from the road beside it!

I know this one is all over the place and there are far more beautiful buildings that also need to be cared for but since i was on the tour of this during heritage week, I said I would put it in. Moore Street.

moore1.jpg

Also there is a museum in part of Cork City Gaol, but the back of it is in a terrible state. The whole building should be cared for properly! An't get a photo of it online, but it is not pretty!

Also all the Matello Towers along the South County Dublin bar one are in terrible condition! There are a few off the top of my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nelly1912

ballyfin house in co. Laois, probably the finest neo classical house in the country, used to belong to some relgious order went up fpr sale, offered to the government who passed it over. this fine house is now lying empty half way through a conversion to a luxury hotel which has been abandoned, its a crime..

BALLYFIN3.jpg

The scene of many a necktie party including the mercenary & jesuit Dominic Collins Youghal Clock Gate needs a mention.

The whole town of Youghal is steeped in medieval what not and St Mary's Collegiate Church had a College that predated Trinity.

st.dominic_collins%2520.jpg&sa=X&ei=uMOHTOP7BcKRjAeEg6WbCQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFu6jmhTppbGsw6yHRYXK2akxNl3A Pic of Dom awaiting execution.

http://www.sjweb.info/jesuits/saintShow.cfm?SaintID=37

<H1>Youghal’s Future In The Past As Clock Gate’s Potential Studied

</H1>

A feasibility study into the potential for Youghal’s Clock Gate suggests it should be adapted for multi-purpose uses. The study, conducted by consultants KPMG for the Heritage Council (of Ireland), in conjunction with the Irish Walled Towns Network, suggests the listed building’s four floors be utilised for disparate purposes as follows:
    Report: Christy Parker – Photo: Kieran McCarthy www.youghalonline.com

clock-gate-337x450.jpg Clock Gate Youghal

Floor 1: Interpretive heritage centre
    Floor 2: Display of local crafts and wares
    Floor 3: Recreation of original tower use as a jail
    Floor 4: Virtual observation desk
    The roof was deemed a commercially unviable due to the bell tower limiting safe access space to only 2-3 people.

Town Clerk Liam Ryan explained and presented the study to the July sitting of the town council, reading in part from a 63-page report. He opened by saying the building needed repair and renovation, having not been in public use since housing a museum in the 1970′s. KPMG used desktop research and public consultation to explore its potential, while assessing the need and demand for the uses. The consultants amassed considerable input from vested stakeholders such as local traders/Chamber of Commerce, Youghal Town Council, Cultural/Heritage/Tourism Groups and various other local interest groups.

An original list of four potential options emerged, within the following guidelines:
    * Ensuring that the clock tower is a minimum burden on resources of the town council and ideally being self-sustaining.
    * Establishment of appropriate use that would satisfy the citizens, particularly in regard to public access.
    * Attracting tourists, simultaneously increasing town trade and helping reverse current decline
    * Restoring sense of pride amongst the local inhabitants.

These options were thus: 1) Status Quo (leave it as it is); 2) Multi use; 3) Commercial use; 4) Storage facility.

When the four options were evaluated in terms of both monetary and non-monetary costs and benefits, Option 2 was favoured.

Good ideas…

This option see a quality interpretative heritage centre on the ground floor, potentially encompassing a welcome desk, display area for artefacts, display area for interpretive information on local heritage, a toilet ad a stairway to the second floor.

The second floor display of local crafts and arts would be combined with the history of their creation and also encompass information on Youghal’s traditional (and lost) industries such as textiles and pottery. The display of the crafts should have advertising for the products, retailers and signposts where the retailers premises can be seen from the Clock Tower. Promotion of the products should attract visitors to the town core with resultant economic benefit.

Recreation of the jail on the third floor would remind visitors of the building’s original purpose. The floor could be finished in materials reminiscent of those used following its 18th century construction. Wax works and artefacts would enhance the heritage theme.

The fourth floor’s observation desk would be a variation on the ‘camera obscura’ concept. This represents a small hole created in a dark room, through which an inverted image is projected onto a wall or flat surface in the room. Popular in similar British attractions, they usually take the form of a large, dark chamber within a high building so that a ‘live’ panorama of the outside world is projected onto the flat surface.

It is proposed that the view projected into the fourth floor would be the view from the top of the Clock Gate. This would be facilitated by four weather-proof cameras erected on the roof. Four images would be projected onto four fourth floor walls. There could also be a short audio-visual presentation and guide to the town, with references to retailers on the second floor. Images of Youghal at night and during all four seasons could be presented along with current views. Images from the virtual observation desk could also be shown on internet, further promoting Youghal as an attraction.

…Bad prospects

The good news delivered, the report also dwells on the grim reality of restraints Funding for refurbishment presently carries no source. It is deemed unlikely in the current economic nightmare that private sector funding to the estimated tune of €339,000 would be forthcoming, so public sector investment is needed.

Funding for ongoing maintenance costs (structurally €7,500 per annum) looks equally elusive. Youghal Town Council has indicated it would prefer the entire project would be rendered self-financing and self-sustaining.

Being a Listed Building work would be constrained to the extent that extensive renovation might not be permissible. Access to the building is limited by a steep, narrow staircase, presently designed to accommodate only the able-bodied, which in turn may limit potential uses. That bane of entrepreneurial life, Health and Safety Issues may intrude on the accommodation of a large number of visitors on the building at one time. Access to the roof, as mentioned earlier, is historic hurdle in the Heritage Handicap. However, ultimately it would be considered that funding is the fence most likely to bring down the aspirations of the field.

http://www.youghalonline.com/2009/08/11/youghals-future-in-the-past-as-clock-gatess-potential-studied/

What an uninspiring report on one of Irelands Historical Gems.

I wonder if anyone has contacted KPMG and asked them to return the money for the report the highlights of which are here read like a Marketing Students effort. Does not deserve a passing grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Another shout here for Moore hall. The family seat of the first (and only) president of the Republic of Connacht.
    Another glaring one is Sligo Gaol. A fine georgian prison and governor's house used as a corporation yard, offices and a fire station crudely attached.
    Hazlewood House, also in Sligo is an imposing Georgian structure designed by Cassels. It was used as offices by a nearby factory in the seventies and eighties. Extremely ramshackle with a hideous fire escape attached, I believe the current owners (a developer and unfortunately not the state) is touting for money from the state with the promise of restoring it.
    And of course Lisadel. Now thankfully reopened to the public, but at the height of the boom, the state turned it's nose up at it and it went for around 3 million euro including extensive lands which could've covered the cost quite quickly if utilised properly. Surely any government worthy of the name would've snapped it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Banagher, Co.Offaly has a unique complex of military buildings - forts, martello towers etc built to defend the Shannon crossing and prevent enemy (French) ships from coming up the river. While some preservation work has been carried out by a local historical group, these important buildings are very neglected and in terms of heritage/tourism appear to be totally overlooked.

BanagherMartelloTower.jpg:mad:
    CromwellsCastleBanagher1.JPG

Further upstream at Shannonbridge even more impressive fortifications exist also in various states of decay - at least they were the last time I was there - and I believe that they are also in State ownership.

Pic below shows important defensive structures within Shannonbridge Fort - save for the ivy they could have been built yesterday! Another major tourist attraction going to waste.

shannonbridge09.JPG

Oh we have them here to:D except much better condition but they are still not as good as they could be, i see loads of wee old mansions in my area borded up, my mum always gets angry at the government for wasting them.. and building stupid council estates on them:mad: One that comes to mind thats while bad is the old coleraine hospital and the workhouse, oh and the clothworkers building that is a wreck and that is a VERY historic thing for here.

• Advertisement

owenc wrote: »
    Oh we have them here to:D except much better condition but they are still not as good as they could be, i see loads of wee old mansions in my area borded up, my mum always gets angry at the government for wasting them.. and building stupid council estates on them:mad: One that comes to mind thats while bad is the old coleraine hospital and the workhouse, oh and the clothworkers building that is a wreck and that is a VERY historic thing for here.

our preservation policy is a bit of a disaster and as a country we do not have the resourses of the UK and the National Trust personally I am with your Mum and I would leave people reclaim and refurbish before they fall down.

On buildings like Youghal Clock Tower even if they were adapted and rented out to stop the deterioration well so what. I am sure there would be no shortage of takers.

Advertisement