Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Travel Security Breach

Options
  • 17-02-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭

I just received this email, i originally posted this in the Travel & Holidays forum but the mod decided that even though it was to do with Budget Travel, who supplied holidays and were a travel company, it had no place in that forum, and said i should post it here.

Dear Customer,

I contacted you before Christmas to inform you that Budget Travel Limited's business had been put in liquidation, but that a number of parties were interested in purchasing Budget's business. I told you then that your personal data held on a subscriber database would be disclosed to the purchaser as part of this process in order to ensure continuity of service to you as a valued Budget customer.

This purchase is now nearing completion and it is intended that the purchaser, Club Travel Limited, will complete its purchase of Budget's business over the next few weeks. The information to be provided to Club Travel comprises your name and email and may also include your contact phone number and postal address (if you provided these details to Budget). The database also contains internal Budget codes representing customers' age group, gender and travel preferences, but not all customers provided this information, so Budget may not necessarily store this encoded information about you.

The information stored therefore comprises very basic information which Budget used to provide quality travel services to you, some of which is encoded. In many cases Budget only stores your email and name. No other information relating to you is held on the database, for example, no financial information such as bank details or credit card details is stored on the database.

In preparation for completion of the purchase of Budget's business, the subscriber database containing your information was placed on a portable USB stick, which was stored at Budget's Dublin headquarters. This USB stick was stolen as part of a theft in the last fortnight. An Garda Siochana are investigating the matter and the perpetrators of the theft have been identified, but the USB stick has not yet been recovered. The theft appears to have been opportunistic with no specific intent to take customer data and it is important to emphasise that the information on the database is very basic data, which in some cases could be obtained elsewhere (in a telephone directory for example). Without the Budget Travel codes, it is unlikely that those who stole the USB stick will be able to decipher and read the encoded data.

As is best practice and as recommended by the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner, I am notifying you about the security breach and can reassure you that stringent measures have been put in place to prevent any breach like this occurring in the future.

Kind regards,

Simon Coyle
    Official Liquidator
    Budget Travel Limited (In Liquidation)

Now why am i starting to feel worried?? They had my card details etc when i paid for 2 holidays with them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

They'd have no reason to store those CC details, or to transfer them to anyone else, so I wouldn't worry too much. From your own post:
    The information to be provided to Club Travel comprises your name and email and may also include your contact phone number and postal address (if you provided these details to Budget). The database also contains internal Budget codes representing customers' age group, gender and travel preferences, but not all customers provided this information, so Budget may not necessarily store this encoded information about you.

So, the easily read information is that your name is Bob Bobson, email bob@bob.bob, phone number 01-606606 and you live at 123 Fake Street. They might know that you're in the 25-35 age group, male and like flying first class to the States, taking the kosher meal on board and that you prefer an aisle seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Terrible response from the Travel mod. "Repost and you will be banned" Wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Pythia wrote: »
    Terrible response from the Travel mod. "Repost and you will be banned" Wtf?

Yep, tell me about it, totally awesome modding there :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Guys, take any comments on moderator action to the Feedback forum - don't clog up this thread.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

This is why the data was on a usb stick

http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/budget_travel.asp
    Special Unreserved Office Furniture & IT Equipment Liquidation Auction
    Auction Date:Saturday 20th February 2010 @ 11:00am

Budget_Logo.jpg
    Under the instructions of Simon Coyle of Mazars
    (Official Liquidator)

Mazars.jpg
    Large selection of office equipment including: Desks, Chairs, Room Dividers, Storage Cabinets, Computers, Printers, Photocopiers, Fax Machines, Server Units, Boardroom Furniture & Kitchen Equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So a standard normal USB stick?...not one of those encyrpted one's that even charitys like Bernardo's use?...what a bunch of ****en idiots.

Some companys are just clueless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Seems they have the same information a company can get from buying a list of people from information services such as Kompass.

If it did fall into criminal hands, they'd take one look at it and bin it as it would be of no use whatsoever.

Personally I'd have no worries whatsoever & wouldn't give two seconds thought to this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

91011 wrote: »
    Personally I'd have no worries whatsoever & wouldn't give two seconds thought to this.

However it is still your personal information and companys should not be careless with it, in this case if its an unencrypted USB stick they then have been out and out careless with this information.

If I wanted just anyone to see my home address etc then I'd post it on the net

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Cabaal wrote: »

Most people do !

http://www.eircomphonebook.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jhegarty wrote: »
    This doesn't list what you like. The information, if used correctly, could let companies know what percentage of Budget Travel users liked certain resorts, and could send them spam based on their past preferences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭{^Syntax^}

TrueCrypt is free....

jhegarty wrote: »

Yeah some people "may" decided to list there details in a phone book, but its a choice to do so at the end of the day.

Some ejit company loosing a USB stick full of your details is not a choice, its down to carelessnes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

No wonder they went bust if they thought putting a subscriber DB on an unencrypted USB stick was a good idea....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

scudzilla wrote: »
    I just received this email, i originally posted this in the Travel & Holidays forum but the mod decided that even though it was to do with Budget Travel, who supplied holidays and were a travel company, it had no place in that forum, and said i should post it here.

Dear Customer,

I contacted you before Christmas to inform you that Budget Travel Limited's business had been put in liquidation, but that a number of parties were interested in purchasing Budget's business. I told you then that your personal data held on a subscriber database would be disclosed to the purchaser as part of this process in order to ensure continuity of service to you as a valued Budget customer.

This purchase is now nearing completion and it is intended that the purchaser, Club Travel Limited, will complete its purchase of Budget's business over the next few weeks. The information to be provided to Club Travel comprises your name and email and may also include your contact phone number and postal address (if you provided these details to Budget). The database also contains internal Budget codes representing customers' age group, gender and travel preferences, but not all customers provided this information, so Budget may not necessarily store this encoded information about you.

The information stored therefore comprises very basic information which Budget used to provide quality travel services to you, some of which is encoded. In many cases Budget only stores your email and name. No other information relating to you is held on the database, for example, no financial information such as bank details or credit card details is stored on the database.

In preparation for completion of the purchase of Budget's business, the subscriber database containing your information was placed on a portable USB stick, which was stored at Budget's Dublin headquarters. This USB stick was stolen as part of a theft in the last fortnight. An Garda Siochana are investigating the matter and the perpetrators of the theft have been identified, but the USB stick has not yet been recovered. The theft appears to have been opportunistic with no specific intent to take customer data and it is important to emphasise that the information on the database is very basic data, which in some cases could be obtained elsewhere (in a telephone directory for example). Without the Budget Travel codes, it is unlikely that those who stole the USB stick will be able to decipher and read the encoded data.

As is best practice and as recommended by the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner, I am notifying you about the security breach and can reassure you that stringent measures have been put in place to prevent any breach like this occurring in the future.

Kind regards,

Simon Coyle
    Official Liquidator

Now why am i starting to feel worried?? They had my card details etc when i paid for 2 holidays with them
    So a standard normal USB stick?...not one of those encyrpted one's that even charitys like Bernardo's use?...what a bunch of ****en idiots.

Some companys are just clueless
    However it is still your personal information and companys should not be careless with it, in this case if its an unencrypted USB stick they then have been out and out careless with this information.

Am I reading this wrong, but it is encrypted.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Am I reading this wrong, but it is encrypted.....

they state the data is encoded, not encrypted. big difference.
    Encryption and encoding compared.

Perhaps they mean that it is encrypted...and simply don't know the different between encrypted and encoded I don't know.

At the end of the day they said encoded which as preilly79 has pointed out is not the same thing at all, its still concerning that they are not looking after customers data

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

In this particular case they probably mean that if you had provided them with certain information (and not everyone does), there might be some letters numbers after your name. So in my example of male, 25-25, first class, kosher, aisle seat, there could be something along the lines of "MB/PREM/LZ/AI", which wouldn't mean a lot to the majority of people outside the industry/that company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Thoie wrote: »
    In this particular case they probably mean that if you had provided them with certain information (and not everyone does), there might be some letters numbers after your name. So in my example of male, 25-25, first class, kosher, aisle seat, there could be something along the lines of "MB/PREM/LZ/AI", which wouldn't mean a lot to the majority of people outside the industry/that company.

i work in the software side of the travel industry, that's it in one.

Advertisement