Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Raid on Connaughton Road carpark

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Cwhyte wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that doesn't happen anywhere else and is definitely related to those residing in connaughton road car park?

No just saying why I don't park my car there anymore. Anyone could have keyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Are you suggesting that doesn't happen anywhere else and is definitely related to those residing in connaughton road car park?
    It still amazes that no matter how many times you break the law and show total disregard for the rules that eveyone else is expected to adibe by there is always someone to defend you or fight your side:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

bonzos wrote: »
    It still amazes that no matter how many times you break the law and show total disregard for the rules that eveyone else is expected to adibe by there is always someone to defend you or fight your side:rolleyes:
    My point was that peoples cars get scratched in every car park. If people want to believe its more likely in connaughton road then there welcome to their ignorance, its simply untrue though.
    What amazes me is its 2010 and ignorance like this still exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

yeah, and i'm sure that they are a few plumbers who simply stock immersion cyclinders for future jobs...........

oh the naievity.......

yeah, and i'm sure that they are a few plumbers who simply stock immersion cyclinders for future jobs...........

oh the naievity.......
    I'm not defending anyone who is guilty of stealing. I'm not being naive, I'm just not as comfortable as some with generalisations.

• Advertisement

I'm not defending anyone who is guilty of stealing. I'm not being naive, I'm just not as comfortable as some with generalisations.
    Your right its totally unfair that these people are the victim of generalisations.....its totally unreasonable to assume that just because 20 gaurds land at your home(or carpark/halting site/recycling depot in this case) at 8am in the morning that the general public think your involved in criminal activity

Your right its totally unfair that these people are the victim of generalisations.....its totally unreasonable to assume that just because 20 gaurds land at your home(or carpark/halting site/recycling depot in this case) at 8am in the morning that the general public think your involved in criminal activity
    What are ya on about? someone said that their car was scratched in connaughton road, I made the simple point that it happens elsewhere aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

How many murders in Sligo Town are unsolved? Just a question for all those Garda lovers who are posting!
    See the Morris tribunal for a list of corrupt Sligo Gardai (some still serving)
    eg " former Sligo garda John Nicholson, who was found to have lied to the tribunal and forged signatures on a number of false expenses claims"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

My point was that peoples cars get scratched in every car park.

It was not a scratch, the whole lower part of the bonnet was scratched with a sharp object. It was not the normal type of door banging into the side damage you usually get in a car park.

dingding wrote: »
    It was not a scratch, the whole lower part of the bonnet was scratched with a sharp object. It was not the normal type of door banging into the side damage you usually get in a car park.
    Did you report it to the gardai? The amount of damage does not add weight to your insinuated accusation btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Did you report it to the gardai? The amount of damage does not add weight to your insinuated accusation btw.

Well it shows it's not an accident. What good would it do to report it to garda? Are they gonna fix it? The only thing they do is write it down and if you don't have insurance you don't need that.

Would you park your car in a location where scrap metal and rubbish is dumped all over the place and garda raids are not uncommon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

About 2yr ago a colleague parked what was then her new car in that car park and headed off into town about her business. Came back and bleeped the car with the remote and as she hopped in so too did Wee Barney into the passanger seat who then refused to get out.
    Big Mama leaning out her caravan half door simply goes "Sorry there Boss, that child's nothing to do with me Boss" just as Wee Barney starts to loosen & deposit the lining from the back of his throat on the dash while simultaneously holding his filthy paw out for cash. Wee Barney then called her bluff after she threatened to drive up to the barracks on Pierce Rd., which she did.
    After a fifteen minute wait one of the quicker acting members of the Guards strolled outside to evict Wee Barney however he had removed himself from her car by this stage. Being a new car there was little in it but what there was, 'bout €12 or so in loose change for parking, tolls etc, pack of fags, hair clips, rosary beads & small bottle of Lourdes holy-water had disappeared just like Wee Barney.
    Carmel buggers off home cursing herself for the experience only to find, while cleaning flem from the dash that Wee Barney, obviously suffering a severe bladder infection and unable to help himself, had been forced to urinate in the passanger side footwell.
    Strangely enough Carmel has not parked in that car park since but... I'm sure that could have happened in any car park anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

If people want to believe its more likely in connaughton road then there welcome to their ignorance, its simply untrue though.
    What amazes me is its 2010 and ignorance like this still exists.

I'm afraid ignorance is bliss on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I lived on The Mall a few years ago and had the pleasure of being broken into and having all my electrical items stolen. The Gardai informed us it was the family of travellers (who don't do too much travelling btw) living in said carpark but couldn't do anything about it.

How is it that they can't get them to move on? They must be there at least 10 years.

I lived on The Mall a few years ago and had the pleasure of being broken into and having all my electrical items stolen. The Gardai informed us it was the family of travellers (who don't do too much travelling btw) living in said carpark but couldn't do anything about it.

How is it that they can't get them to move on? They must be there at least 10 years.
    Because this is Ireland where you can break the law every week,arrive at the court in a €50k Jeep and still get free legal aid.To get them to move now would make them millionares...the would also have to be offered a similar site EG. close to the town center,convenient for shop lifting,storing stolen goods etc....I cant see them being moved to kevinsfort?can you?their SW should be cut everytime they are convicted of a crime,they have no respect for the law,the guards or the people of sligo.the only way to punish them is to cut their benefits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Read this from the Sligo Weekender of 2006. Four years later what has changed?

http://archives.tcm.ie/sligoweekender/2006/08/29/story29459.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Because this is Ireland where you can break the law every week,arrive at the court in a €50k Jeep and still get free legal aid.To get them to move now would make them millionares...the would also have to be offered a similar site EG. close to the town center,convenient for shop lifting,storing stolen goods etc....I cant see them being moved to kevinsfort?can you?their SW should be cut everytime they are convicted of a crime,they have no respect for the law,the guards or the people of sligo.the only way to punish them is to cut their benefits

Was there not a case down the country a few years ago when the Gards just hooked up the caravans -wheels in some cases and dragged them to the impound then blocked access to the carparks. I was hoping then that the same would be done everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The.Q

Essexboy wrote: »
    Read this from the Sligo Weekender of 2006. Four years later what has changed?

http://archives.tcm.ie/sligoweekender/2006/08/29/story29459.asp

How about this one from 2002 (8 years ago):

http://archives.tcm.ie/sligoweekender/2002/09/04/story685.asp

which answers the earlier question as to how they're allowed to park there.
    The travellers applied for residents annual parking permits (which costs 40 euro) and were granted them.

and
    one of the caravans is actually connected to the water and sewerage systems and electric power. This was installed because of a particular situation a couple of years ago where a family member required kidney dialysis.
    I do notice that there does seem to be a lot more space in the car-park now, since the raid. Still wouldn't park there, though. Does that make me racist/discriminatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

here's a link that will warm the" heart of your cockles";)

http://www.myguideireland.com/sligo-town-centre

a case of travellers helping travellers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The.Q

dardevle wrote: »
    here's a link that will warm the" heart of your cockles";)

http://www.myguideireland.com/sligo-town-centre

a case of travellers helping travellers?
    Yeah, I particularly like this line:
    Coming in the back door, so to speak, of the car park, I found the children playing in an old horse cart. Matilda wanted to be in a picture all by herself. With her long red braids and ringlets, she was irresistible.
    Aaahhhh, how quaint! Sounds like a John Hinde postcard, doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Stevedore

Declan Bree got the water and sewage and electricity connected for them, nice to have a bit of comfort after a long evening of violence and thieving, anyone defending them really doesn't know them

Stevedore wrote: »
    Declan Bree got the water and sewage and electricity connected for them, nice to have a bit of comfort after a long evening of violence and thieving, anyone defending them really doesn't know them
    So you know them all personally and can judge each one individually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

He's not judging then individually, he's judging them as a group. As distasteful as you may find it, they are a family of degenerate criminals. Some are obviously worse than others, but they're all involved on some level.

There are plenty of decent traveler families living in Sligo. They aren't one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Stevedore

I went to school with two of them, and have seen their behaviour first hand around the town the last twenty years, recently saw the grandmother teaching the 4 year old grandson how to steal in a shop, they are all on the dole and can still afford to lose multiple three figure sums in a local bookies, explain that to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

I drove by the other day. Did I se ahorse in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

what is the point of this thread? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Truley wrote: »
    what is the point of this thread? :confused:

Its just an excuse to use a raid on a traveller caravan to make disgusting generalisations about all travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

T runner wrote: »
    Its just an excuse to use a raid on a traveller caravan to make disgusting generalisations about all travellers.

Thought as much. Surprised it's been allowed to go on this long but hey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I think a lot of it is venting tbh, the whole set-up there is wrong and won't help to get rid of this stereotyping. But naming actual children online is outrageous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement