Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wage cuts how much legally can they cut

Options
  • 17-02-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have recieved wage cuts recently the most recent one the end of Janruary. Are cuts to date on wages are near 38%. It is getting to a stage I am better off leaving my company and moving on. However I am some time there. Surely there is some limit to the cuts where I can say enough is enough and request for redundancy and legally be entitled to it ????

Also Surely we have to agree as an employee to cuts - can anyone advise??????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Perhaps they want you to leave so as not to pay redundancy.....hoping the cuts will make you jump ship??
    Just an idea.
    Do you have a contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭baz_ctr

is your job unionised? if not some bad empolyers (in my opinion)will take it as far as they want or see fit as long as they can get away with it, maybe they are just trying to squeeze you out of the job

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I have recieved wage cuts recently the most recent one the end of Janruary. Are cuts to date on wages are near 38%. It is getting to a stage I am better off leaving my company and moving on. However I am some time there. Surely there is some limit to the cuts where I can say enough is enough and request for redundancy and legally be entitled to it ????

Also Surely we have to agree as an employee to cuts - can anyone advise??????

They can cut you back to the minimum wage. You could try to claim that these cuts were a form of "constructive dismissal" and try to sue for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

They can cut you back to the minimum wage. You could try to claim that these cuts were a form of "constructive dismissal" and try to sue for that...

Hmmm from what ive heard from the Legals its a hard road to travel, the judge is often on the side of the employer...now more than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Work Problems

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LeapFrog2000

Thansk will have a look at. Surely you have to agree to a cut and not forced on you. I would not even mind if I worked four day or something middle of road but cut nearly 2 days and working nearly 5 days a week.

I would look for my redundancy but probably not entitled to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Thansk will have a look at. Surely you have to agree to a cut and not forced on you. I would not even mind if I worked four day or something middle of road but cut nearly 2 days and working nearly 5 days a week.

I would look for my redundancy but probably not entitled to it.

I believe that firstly they cannot force you to take a pay-cut. You have to agree either verbally or written. If you categorically refuse to take the pay-cut then they can make you redundant and you will be entitled to statutary redundancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 aa0020

Can you give us a little bit of background. How many employees. Do you have shop stewards. Is your company unionised or is there a % of unionised employees. How did they handle previous cuts. Have they ever pre-announced and consulted any of the previous wage cuts? The industry might also be useful to those who want to give you advise on this forum.
    I am sorry you're going through this. Has the company taken any steps to prove the financial necessity of the cuts.

There is legislation that dictates that an employer has to consult with employers over significant changes taht affect the majority of employees. I think its called something like Information and Consultation Act? I think its a fairly new piece of legislation? heard about it on the radio recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭flash harry

Its quite simple. You dont have to accept any pay cuts, they dont have to risk their business employing people if its detrimental to the company i.e. they can make redundancies.

You could go to a union if you are in one, look at the great work they've done for the aer lingus cabin staff......

• Advertisement
Advertisement