Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dan Boyle has no confidence in Willie O'Dea

Options
  • 17-02-2010 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Dan Boyle has said he has no confidence in Willie O'Dea tonight.

http://twitter.com/sendboyle

At last maybe this is the start of the Green party, waking up from their slumber. I look forward to hearing what John Gormley has to say about this. I don't think we have heard the last of the Willie O'Dea incident and rightly so. It sends out the wrong message to not only politicians but to everyone about lying under oath. It's just a pity he is a member of the Senead and not the Dail. Even though today Eamon Ryan looked very uncomfortable when 'defending' Will O'Dea and the majority of the other Greens were nowhere to be seen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

A Green has something in common with the rest of the country ????

That's a first!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

This f**l has apparently already threatened to resign from the Greens so its no surprise, he is not an elected representative and as such his opinion really carrys no more weight than anybody reading this as the six green TD,s are going nowhere. When asked about principals Gormleys standard answer now is that the Greens are a party of policies and the only way to initiate our policies is to be in gov ie hang on regardless and pick up our pensions as we will need them after the next election which cant come soon enough for moi !

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

If he is so unconformtable, why doesn't he resign his Fianna Fail appointed Senate Seat? He'll probably be on the radio tomorrow justifying the Green support of another FF perjurer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Looks like this story is starting to gather pace

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0217/odeaw.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just nicked this from elsewhere, interesting!
    I heard a very interesting tale tonight from my contact inside Leinster House.
    Brian Lenihan in the chamber speaking on the motion. Time came for Eamonn Ryan to speak, Ryan was nowhere in sight, so Lenihan had to speak on into the Greens' time.
    Meanwhile, outside in the corridor, John Gormley telling Ryan in no uncertain terms to get in there and make that speech, and Ryan very reluctant to do so. Eventually he went in and did as bid.

That's what I'm told anyway by my spy.

I heard Caoimhin O Caolain of SF reference that Ryan had gone walkabout and then shuffled back in, when he made his speech this afternoon.

• Advertisement

Eamon Ryan looked so uncomfortable in that speech. He did not look like he meant a single word of it. But it just goes to show what the Greens will now do to stay in power. If they felt so good about O'Dea where was Gormley, Gogarty, White, Cuffe etc in the Dail chamber?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

If he is so unconformtable, why doesn't he resign his Fianna Fail appointed Senate Seat? He'll probably be on the radio tomorrow justifying the Green support of another FF perjurer

At the very least Boyle must resign from the Greens if he is to be taken seriously.

Some info from P.ie :

Quote:
    Originally Posted by QuizMaster viewpost.gif
    I heard a very interesting tale tonight from my contact inside Leinster House.
    Brian Lenihan in the chamber speaking on the motion. Time came for Eamonn Ryan to speak, Ryan was nowhere in sight, so Lenihan had to speak on into the Greens' time.
    Meanwhile, outside in the corridor, John Gormley telling Ryan in no uncertain terms to get in there and make that speech, and Ryan very reluctant to do so. Eventually he went in and did as bid.

That's what I'm told anyway by my spy.

Thats interesting.

I was told something very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Talk is cheap when he doesn't have a dail seat, and so doesn't have a vote.

The greens are partly responsible for that muppet continuing in his government position. There's no way around that fact, no matter how much Dan tries to sugar coat it. If he's as ethical as he'd like to make out, he should resign and make a principled stand. But he won't. So who cares about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would have the potential to bring down the government however the problem is the Greens at the moment are finished, perhaps in worse condition than the PD's were in the last election, no way will they go before the people at this stage. Boyle should set up the New Greens or similar and he would take the Green vote that was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I have less confidence in Dan Boyle than I do for Willie O'Dea. I mean at least Willie was voted in. Boyle was given a "job for the boys" when he couldnt retain his own seat...

Think the greens could be falling apart. I think too many of them have sold their souls

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Would have the potential to bring down the government however the problem is the Greens at the moment are finished, perhaps in worse condition than the PD's were in the last election, no way will they go before the people at this stage. Boyle should set up the New Greens or similar and he would take the Green vote that was there.
    Boyle is a serial election loser; he has no credibility in Cork whatsoever - he made himself look ridiculaous with his feud with chris O leary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Dan Boyle tries to run with the hare and hunt with the hounds as usual. Trying to act as if he's in opposition and government at the same time. Why is this news?

He's a hypocrite, just not a very effective one.

Dan Boyle tries to run with the hare and hunt with the hounds as usual. Trying to act as if he's in opposition and government at the same time. Why is this news?

Paul Gogarty is even worse for that, always complaining about corrupt Fianna Fail and then sitting down with them. I am looking forward to hearing his comments on this.

Only thing is Dan Boyle is the chairman of the Green Party and was at the centre of negotiations for the programme for government. He has said a lot of things but this is probably the most serious to date.

Irish Times running with it tomorrow.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0217/breaking37.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Please don't be so naive people:D.
    Nothing is gonna happen.

You're just gonna get your hopes up and then be angry when nothing happens as usual:pac:

The way I see it, fair play to Willie.
    He know Irish people are suckers, he is playing the game and hes good at it.

Everybody will whine and moan for a bit, here and elsewhere, until the next story comes along, but nobody is gonna do anything about it and he knows it.
    He survived the drama today, as he has many times before and will do again.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Actually....
    The Government won a motion of confidence in Minister for Defence Willie O’Dea earlier this evening by 80 votes in favour and 69 against.

80+69 = 149

Is this why Cowen ran with it today ? Because some of the opposition were missing ?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Actually....

80+69 = 149

Is this why Cowen ran with it today ? Because some of the opposition were missing ?

Plus if the Greens had a backbone it would have been 74(80-6) to 75(69+6)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Actually....

80+69 = 149

The current government seats are 86, the opposition 78, so there's six missing on the government side, and 9 on the opposition side.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Dan Boyle has said he has no confidence in Willie O'Dea
    He's not the only one:pac:

One worry is that if it is GoGo that goes first then he can use that as a platform to say he was the one TD brave enough to pull out due to scandal X or Y - giving himself a platform of respectability in order to get re-elected, thats a thought - he could work it to end up the only Green TD in the Dail!!!

jedpedward.JPG

But Willie will pull through I suspect, the Lemming from Limerick is Lazarus

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It'd be nice to think something concrete would come of this - either O'Dea forced out or the Greens finally finding their balls - but it won't. There'll be a quiet backroom meeting, things will be promised by never delivered and we'll trundle along with the public growing ever more disinterested in 'our' politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

And I have no confidence in Facebook politicians.

Dan Boyle has updated his status to: 'Petulant eejit'

Paul Gogarty on Newstalk at the moment and has admitted other members of the Green parliamentary party not happy about the O'Dea affair.

"We are not happy with the situation but we don't consider it a resigning matter"

When asked was he comfortable in government with Fianna Fail he answered

"I am never comfortable in government with Fianna Fail"

More of his double standards....... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Perhaps I'm being cynical but could this just be a ploy to look like the Green's actually considered not voting for this rather than them just rubber stamping whatever it is their masters ask them to as usual.

Perhaps I'm being cynical but could this just be a ploy to look like the Green's actually considered not voting for this rather than them just rubber stamping whatever it is their masters ask them to as usual.

That's far too clever for GoGo to even imagine never mind accomplish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mysillyusername

So a senator who couldn't vote on the no-confidence motion comes out and proclaims his/the green parties concerns.

Are we going to find out what Green party TD's think?? I don't think so..cheap talk from a senator!!!

So a senator who couldn't vote on the no-confidence motion comes out and proclaims his/the green parties concerns.

Are we going to find out what Green party TD's think?? I don't think so..cheap talk from a senator!!!

speaking on RTÉ Radio's Morning Ireland, Green Party Spokesman on Education Paul Gogarty said it was wrong for Minister O'Dea to make such a statement, but it was not a resigning issue.

On Newstalk he said that some supported the motion, others were against and others in the middle.

"If John Gormley wanted O'Dea gone, he'd be gone."

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0218/odeaw.html

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mysillyusername

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    speaking on RTÉ Radio's Morning Ireland, Green Party Spokesman on Education Paul Gogarty said it was wrong for Minister O'Dea to make such a statement, but it was not a resigning issue.

I usually don't get a chance to hear the news in the morning..but you are right....if the Green Party wanted him gone..he would be gone..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Good article here in the times from a former Green Councillor.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0218/1224264713504.html

• Registered Users Posts: 56,110 ✭✭✭✭walshb

bijapos wrote: »

This mater should be far from over. It is now a matter for the Gardai and the DPP, and this ridiculous, "done and dusted" stance is not on. I won't hold my breath though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

bijapos wrote: »

Hardly an unbiased source.

Let's be clear: this issue is a political one not a legal one.

I'm getting tired of the Greens being the fall guy for everything that happens with this government - you wouldn't think there were only 6 Greens in government the way some posters go on. It is an absolutely normal day now, when the Greens get more flak over something a FF TD does than FF.

Having said all that, I'm not sure how much FF nonsense can be suffered.

Advertisement