Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dan Boyle has no confidence in Willie O'Dea

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

P.ie getting very excited, talk of WO'D being an ex-minister

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Willie O'Dea is gone. Handed in his resignation according to Eoghan Harris

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

I could lead it better than present incumbants, :D

I wouldn't vote for you :P

A clown with no electoral mandate, yet he pops up on every media outlet spouting on as if he was runnng the country

did he sing in You're A Star or something?

Not according to the radio.

Cowan told the Green's to get behind Willie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,594 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That's just Eoghans inner monologue escaping again, I think I'll hang on for some more concrete evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Green Party are satisfied that the matter will be solved to their satisfaction shortly. RTE already speaking as if he is gone already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

If this is true I can just hear Cowan.
    "No need to resign", "honourable course", "sad loss","upset by public disquiet" etc. ad infinitum.
    In one way Cowan is right, there is no need for O'Dea to resign, if Cowan had any moral fibre he'd f*ck him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

Willie D is gone...

It will be interesting to see how the FF spin doctors handle this event.
    It will also be interesting to see if this event has increased the fracture line within the Greens.
    Let the games begin.

A.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 56,110 ✭✭✭✭walshb

bmaxi wrote: »
    If this is true I can just hear Cowan.
    "No need to resign", "honourable course", "sad loss","upset by public disquiet" etc. ad infinitum.
    In one way Cowan is right, there is no need for O'Dea to resign, if Cowan had any moral fibre he'd f*ck him out.

Exactly, and exactly why Cowen comes out of this a whole lot worse than Willie... Cowen is backing this guy full whack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭omerin

Would Dan Boyle please just go away. He's a parasite, no one in Cork wants him, will he ever feck off!

As for Willie I couldn't care less, thats where the quality of politics in this country has lead me.
    btw on newstalk this morning, a reporter let slip or made a genuine mistake when he call willie - Mini O' Dea, wonder if thats his nicname in political circles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 IrishToffees

What alternative to FF do we have? FG/Labour? Irish Politics is probably the most corrupt in the western world. 98-99% of all politicians from all the main parties are in politics not to serve the public but for personal gain and wealth. The sooner the Irish public wakes up and demands a complete overhaul of the Irish political system the better. Banana republic always has been and I fear it will always be!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Eamon Keane on Newstalk, after talking to some FF members says Willie is going tonight after a television appearance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

What alternative to FF do we have? FG/Labour? Irish Politics is probably the most corrupt in the western world. 98-99% of all politicians from all the main parties are in politics not to serve the public but for personal gain and wealth. The sooner the Irish public wakes up and demands a complete overhaul of the Irish political system the better. Banana republic always has been and I fear it will always be!

No real argument - at least in terms of competence.

But at least we might end up with the lesser of too evils.

Here's hoping!

Mind you, it'd make a change for O'Dea to have done some good for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Can anyone imagine what it will be like waking up the morning after the FF/Green government collapses?

I can

"Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Eamon Keane on Newstalk, after talking to some FF members says Willie is going tonight after a television appearance

Quick, someone hand him a sword!

There is no guarantee that any other coalition of parties will be better than the present one but you'll never know until you try. FF have been in power in the country too often and for too long, they have grown contemptuous of the people.
    If the O'Dea story illustrates one thing, it is that were FF in a majority in the Dáil there would be no question of his resigning, sure what's a little perjury when you're a senior Government minister? Seán Citizen on the other hand would be languishing in Mountjoy.

If the O'Dea story illustrates one thing, it is that were FF in a majority in the Dáil there would be no question of his resigning, sure what's a little perjury when you're a senior Government minister? Seán Citizen on the other hand would be languishing in Mountjoy.

.....or - in the unlikely event that it was an FG or Labour minister - FF would be screaming for his resignation, and dismissing allegations of "dirty smear tactics" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Can anyone imagine what it will be like waking up the morning after the FF/Green government collapses?

I can

"Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

To paraphrase the late, great Bill Hicks, the puppet on the left hand is not to my liking anymore, maybe it's time to favour the puppet on the right hand?

Yes, Enda Kenny, the guy who seriously touted the idea of reimbursing the initial greedy Eircom shareholders.

We have no political capital in this country guys, my advice is to buckle up and make sure that you're stocked up on canned goods for the next thirty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

I might actually read wee willie LIAR o,deas weekly musings in the Fianna Fail On Sunday/Sindo this week for the first time ever-strictly for the hilarity factor.Still not going to buy it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

To paraphrase the late, great Bill Hicks, the puppet on the left hand is not to my liking anymore, maybe it's time to favour the puppet on the right hand?

Yes, Enda Kenny, the guy who seriously touted the idea of reimbursing the initial greedy Eircom shareholders.

We have no political capital in this country guys, my advice is to buckle up and make sure that you're stocked up on canned goods for the next thirty years.

yes but we need a change from this stagnant corrupt crap we have put up with for the last decade the lift this country would get would be like Ireland beating Romania in the World Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭deanh

I think that was Michael Noonan. It s a pity that political debate cannot stick to the facts.

Are these the greedy shareholders who were inveigled every day of the week by Mary O' Rourke into buying into a sure thing. The greedy shareholders who were not allowed to sell their shares when stock price increased initially, while the banks and big business were allowed to sell theirs, or the greedy shareholders who were forced to sell their shares for a fraction of their price whether or not they wanted to.
    While I wouldn't support Kenny's proposal, lets not forget FFs contribution to the debacle, it effectively put an end, for the forseeable future, to stock buying by the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The greedy shareholders who were not allowed to sell their shares when stock price increased initially, while the banks and big business were allowed to sell theirs,
    I don't know what you were doing, but myself and plenty of other ordinary investors sold on day 1 for a hefty profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

hmmm wrote: »
    I don't know what you were doing, but myself and plenty of other ordinary investors sold on day 1 for a hefty profit.

+1

Paid for my holiday that year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Looks like he's gone, to be announced on the news at 9pm.

Cowan comes out v badly from the whole affair, shows he has no standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭deanh

hmmm wrote: »

You could only sell if you purchased your shares on account. If you opted to receive you share certificates (as most first time shareholders would have done), it took up to a week to get them posted by which time the share price had declined. True, the shares could still have been sold for a profit, but nobody anticipated that FF, banks and stockbrokers had colluded in exaggerating the company's value in their own interests. Shareholders got screwed when the market discovered the fraud and the share price floored. Again, in the Valentia takeover, no account was made of the interests of ordinary shareholders. Overall, Mary O' Rourke finished off the prospect of other share privatisations. She got her answer in the subsequent general election, although Donie Cassidy could never be described as an improvement!

deanh wrote: »
    You could only sell if you purchased your shares on account. If you opted to receive you share certificates (as most first time shareholders would have done), it took up to a week to get them posted by which time the share price had declined. True, the shares could still have been sold for a profit, but nobody anticipated that FF, banks and stockbrokers had colluded in exaggerating the company's value in their own interests. Shareholders got screwed when the market discovered the fraud and the share price floored. Again, in the Valentia takeover, no account was made of the interests of ordinary shareholders. Overall, Mary O' Rourke finished off the prospect of other share privatisations. She got her answer in the subsequent general election, although Donie Cassidy could never be described as an improvement!

Couldn't have put it better. One of O'Rourke's main selling points was the fact that the ordinary Joe Soap in Ireland had no history of dabbling in stocks and shares and here was a gilt edged opportunity to get in to the habit without risk. Eircom was undervalued and the foreign telecoms companies would be falling over themselves to buy it.
    The upshot of this was, many of the investors were first timers with no experience of the stock market and no idea of the rules and practices but nobody sounded a cautionary note. People invested, not for greed but to back up pensions etc, something which the current crop of overpaid, cast iron pensioned, ministers are telling us we should be doing.
    For the record, I didn't actually buy any Eircom shares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Dan Boyle is a poltical joke-what the hell does it matter if he has no confidence given that his party has voted to keep Willie in office?? Why doesn't he resign?

I agree. I have nothing but contempt for him.. He did the moral equivalent of texting your girlfriend to break up with her, when he twittered about his "no confidence"... Dan.. nobody cares what you think, you didnt get voted in and your vote / opinions only count with a) the greens and b) what FF friends got you your senate seat in the first.

If the man had any guts he could have resigned, like he "threatened" to do last week..... (i.e. give up 70k p.a. for looking disinterested in the Senate a couple of days a week, who else would pay the fat fool that amount of money).

If he had something to say, he should have called a press conference. Instead he twittered, then turned off his phone and dived for cover ... what a coward... He should be fired for lack of moral courage, and interfering in Dáil issues.

• Advertisement

If Dan Boyle set the wheels in motion for today's events, then fair play to him.

Any comment on his Twitter site tonight ?

Advertisement