Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing Spots

Options
  • 17-02-2010 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I dont know much about fishing but the Lower Dodder road in Rathfarnham is a popular spot around July-September. I think thats the best time for fishing on the Dodder, not sure if that applies a general rule for fishing though. Your best bet would be to go to a tackle shop and ask. Southside Angling on Cork St might help you out, you also need the licence and can get that there I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Drop into a fishing tackle shop and ask.

They won't give you the really deadly spots, but they'll tell you which area's are popular at the moment and which stretches of canal & river have recently been restocked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

What kinda setup do you have? Course/sea/fly ect.,

the tolka is a decent spot for mullet but not really this time of year. It'll be another month or two for good mackrel fishing too but the dun laoirege and howth piers are good spots with access to the dart too., out on bulloch harbour you can rent a boat for a few hours and that's great craic for mackrel fishing during season.,

The best thing to be fishing for a this time of year is pike really, they hang around shallower waters in feb/march., if ya want to do that, try the stretch of canal behing Croke park or further up at the drumcondra locks, failing that, parts of the grand canol used to be good but I haven't fished that place for years.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Mona Lott

No licence required for sea fishing. Theirs a good little shop called ABC in Little Mary Street - handy for bait, tackle and info. Theirs a Angling section under 'Sports' on boards which include links to the various spots along the East coast - best of all, have fun and enjoy ;)

The hot water run off from behind Poolbeg is noted for big mullet - just watch out for the longtails at dusk :eek:

Take the Dart out to Howth or Fun Laoghaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The folk over in the Angling forum may be able to help you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Masada wrote: »
    What kinda setup do you have? Course/sea/fly ect.,

The best thing to be fishing for a this time of year is pike really, they hang around shallower waters in feb/march., if ya want to do that, try the stretch of canal behing Croke park or further up at the drumcondra locks, failing that, parts of the grand canol used to be good but I haven't fished that place for years.,

The canals have been fished to death by people who dont return fish to the water.
    The greatest offenders are eastern europeans who are used to fishing in huge watercourses with infinatly larger stocks of fish than we have in irealnd.
    As a result,pike stocks in particular have been wiped out in a lot of areas.
    I wouldnt publicly post a good fishing spot anywhere on boards unless you want to arrive there some day and find somebody netting the water and bringing any fish they catch home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Scien wrote: »
    I dont need a license for sea fishing though do I? [/n00b]

Nope..the only thing is that its too early for most sea species at the moment and teh winter run of whiting etc is just about over.
    You should start to see a serious improvement by the end of may to the middle of june when speciess like mackerell start to move inshore...research methods to catch them online or ask any people you know who fish.
    Fishing in canals is still possible despite the hammering they've taken over the years.
    Get light tackle from a tackle-shop..3lb breaking strain line and size 16 hooks,dig up a few worms and you're good to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

Hi, pm me and I can arrange to take you to a few good spots for sea fishing. I can also advise as to tactics, rigs baits etc. Usually fish by myself so company would be good. Have a load of places accessible by public transport around Dublin. Been sea fishing for 5 years and coarse etc since I was a kid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Degsy wrote: »
    The canals have been fished to death by people who dont return fish to the water.
    The greatest offenders are eastern europeans who are used to fishing in huge watercourses with infinatly larger stocks of fish than we have in irealnd.
    As a result,pike stocks in particular have been wiped out in a lot of areas.
    I wouldnt publicly post a good fishing spot anywhere on boards unless you want to arrive there some day and find somebody netting the water and bringing any fish they catch home.

While i agree with ya in a certain sense as i have seen people taking out decent size tench and bream a few years back. Most of the damage to the stocks was caused by the corpo themselves when draining the water out, leaving it for a few weeks and letting it run back in but all the fish had either been run through the canal or allowed to die in the empty canal bed.

I remember fishing both the Grand and Royal 10 years ago and it was a completely different game to the way it is now. loads of species etc etc.

croker is still decent for pike though., ive fished that canal down the country end end and its brilliant, would reccomend it,.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

Degsy wrote: »
    Nope..the only thing is that its too early for most sea species at the moment and teh winter run of whiting etc is just about over.

Not really true mate, there are loads of species around. Codling still well available etc. Its just knowing the spots, tactics and rigs/bait most likely to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Scien wrote: »
    Cheers for the help.

Think I'll wait on until at least the clock goes forward at the end of next month. It'll give me a chance to research the angling forum.

Doubt I'll chance river fishing tbh, sitting on a pier with an ice box sounds more desirable. :)

You still haven't said what kind of kit you got scien. Is it sea or fresh water stuff you got? I do sea fishing, I only pop out to spots around Dublin, in winter too, so if you figure out what you have and when you want to use it I can bring you out when I'm going too.

Advertisement