Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I wish I'd thought of that!"- The Little Thread Of Handy Dandy Tips & Tricks

Options
  • 17-02-2010 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭

Have you got a handy tip for getting more life out of your make-up bag?
    Or have you an ingenius trick for getting gum out of your hair without a trip to the salon? Let's hear it!

Thought it'd be a good idea to start up a thread where we can all share little tips and tricks for making life that little bit easier.

I'll start with this simple gem for stretching out shoes that are too tight:

Stretch your shoes with ice:
    First, clear a space in your freezer (ideally, have a whole drawer cleared out). Get two standard-sized freezer bags and fill them to capacity with water. Place one bag of water into the end of each shoe, making sure it's stuffed in fairly tightly. Leave in the freezer overnight and you should find that due to the water doubling in size as it ices over, your shoes will be loosened by at least half a size.

This works best with fabric shoes, though I've yet to test it out with leather.

(Note: If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize and give the Mods permission to move it as appropriate)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

This is daft, but baby wipes are ridiculously good at polishing taps/shower etc!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good for car interiors and numerous other things too. OK the smell lingers for a while but soon clears. Does no damage either as you cant put dodgy chemicals near a baby's bottom.

Vinegar is another beauty. Cleans so much. Glass especially. Great for shower cubicles too.

Baking soda is great for doing cookers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

If you get ink on clothes soak it in milk before sticking it in the wash. Works wonders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Use tumble dryer sheets to clean tv screens and computers. They're anti-static help repel dust.

If a metal zip keeps sticking, rub a white candle down the closed teeth and it'll move freely.

Put a squirt of bleach in the dishwasher before running it on a hot wash and it'll remove tea/coffee stains from your crockery and make your cutlery like new.

Put a dot of superglue into a papercut to seal it up and stop it stinging.

If you run out of shaving gel, use hair conditioner on your legs for a smooth shave.

Dip your wet toothbrush in baking soda for a cheap and effective stain removing tooth polish.

Spray suede handbags and belts with suede shoe waterproofing spray to repel stains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Giselle wrote: »
    Use tumble dryer sheets to clean tv screens and computers. They're anti-static help repel dust.

If a metal zip keeps sticking, rub a white candle down the closed teeth and it'll move freely.

Put a squirt of bleach in the dishwasher before running it on a hot wash and it'll remove tea/coffee stains from your crockery and make your cutlery like new.

If you run out of shaving gel, use hair conditioner on your legs for a smooth shave.

Dip your wet toothbrush in baking soda for a cheap and effective stain removing tooth polish.

Spray suede handbags and belts with suede shoe waterproofing spray to repel stains.

At the risk of sounding daft... With or without toothpaste?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding daft... With or without toothpaste?

Without, but its quite abrasive so don't do it too regularly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Oh, i won't. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I know for a fact there is a thread around here full of handy hints and tip, but i can't for the life of me remember. And it wont come up on the search i do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Hairspray is useful for getting pen off painted walls and leather couches and handbags. God bless How Clean is Your House! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Millicent wrote: »
    Hairspray is useful for getting pen off painted walls and leather couches and handbags. God bless How Clean is Your House! :P
    All hail Kim and Aggie!

A few tips for beauty on a budget, courtsey of my granny:

Protein Face Mask:
    Seperate one egg. Into the whites, mix a teaspoon of sugar and about 1 1/2 tablespoons of oat flakes. Mix together and then slatter your face with it. Let harden and leave on for 15 minutes then rinse. The oats and sugar will exfoliate your skin whilst the protein in the egg whites will nourish and make your skin silky.

Cheap Fake Tan:
    Get some cold tea bags and a tub of moisturiser. Strain out the teabags and mix with the moisturiser-roughly 2 parts tea to 4 parts moisturiser.
    The effect will be subtle but can be built up for a particular shade.

This one works wonders for my sensitive scalp:

Avocado, Cucumber & Mango Hair Mask:
    In a large bowl, mash together an avocado, half a cucumber and about one quarter of a mango. Mix in 10-12 drops of tea tree oil, a splash of watered-down honey and 10 drops of aloe vera or jojoba oil. Mix together until it forms a thick paste. Plop it onto your head, comb it through and leave it to "ferment" for an hour or preferably overnight. Rinse out and marvel at the silkiness. Also, your head will smell like mango yumminess!

No toothpaste?
    Mix Bongela and bicarbonate of soda. Tastes absolutely rank but great for scrubbing off coffee stains in a hurry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Maybe its the medic in me but that sounds quite dangerous to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Your own saliva will get out a bloodstain (if it's your own blood)
    - Note: I only advocate this for little specks, i.e. when you prick your finger, otherwise ...ew :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

bronte wrote: »
    This is daft, but baby wipes are ridiculously good at polishing taps/shower etc!

And we use these on our skin?! :eek:
    Glad I'm not a baby wipe fan...

Oh and Jules I think that was moved to fashion & appearance, more beauty related... 'Tried & Tested' I think it was called.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Vaseline rubbed inside straps and where skin contacts straps prevent blisters.

tit-tape is better than heel grips in shoes that are slippy with opaque tights..also brilliant with straps,

Insoles in a shoe a size above your feet will not make them fit. if you are told this in a shoe shop, its crap.

buy shoes early as you can during the day - feet swell while shopping so if you try later on, they might fit, but once you wear them for real, they might be too slippy.

*ex shoe shop worker & shoeholic*:D

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

My dentist nearly had a hissy at me for doing the above. Super bad for the enamel apparently.

Memorise "Righty tighty lefty loosey." This knowledge will serve you well.

You can preserve fresh herbs in ice cubes for future use.

A liberal spray of WD40 around plant pots, will help keep the slugs at bay.
    It also helps get rid of bug stains, from your car grill, and numberplate.
    It cleans your cast iron while protecting from corrosion.

Vicks vapor rub, massaged in and left overnight (Under bedsocks). Is an excellent foot treatment.

Don't leave your clothes sitting in the washing mashine/tumble dryer. Take them out immediately, smooth and hang them. This will reduce the need to Iron.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

panda100 wrote: »
    Maybe its the medic in me but that sounds quite dangerous to me?
    IIRC they experimented with cyanoacrylate glues)superglue as far back as the Vietnam war for medical usage. You can get medical grade stuff even now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate#Toxicity But yea Id agree industrial household stuff may not be a good plan.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

if you spill something oily or greasy on your clothes, get a brown paper bag, place it over the stain and then iron over the bag, this will draw the grease out

toothpaste brings up a wonderful sparkle on gold or silver jewellery

toothpaste makes lovebites disappear quicker :o

a kitchen scissors is a faster way of cutting chicken for a stirfry than some crappy kitchen knife

i second teh vicks vaporub for smooth feet

an alka seltser left to dissolve in your toilet will leave it nice and white

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

sam34 wrote: »
    toothpaste makes lovebites disappear quicker :o

That one never worked for me! :o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

If your mascara has dried up, leave it (sealed) in a cup of hot water for a few minutes and it melts the leftovers for you..

If you have a black garment that attracts fluff etc, wrap cellotape around your hand with the sticky side facing out and you've got yourself a makeshift lint remover..

Use an old (clean) sportsock if you're applying instant fake tan and you don't have an applicator mitt..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

lighter fluid (the kind you get to refill zippos etc) will get greasy stains out of clothes

if you drop candle wax on a carpet, get as much out as you can with a fork (without damaging the carpet) and then put a couple of layers of kitchen towel on top and iron, repeating until all the wax is gone

if you spill red wine on a white table cloth, dump a load of salt on it ASAP. It'll minimize the amount of staining you have to get out later.

To get pet hair off your furniture, don rubber dishwashing gloves and wipe it down. The hair sticks to the gloves.

If you have an open fire, orange peels make GREAT kindling. They contain natural oils so they burn longer than paper, and they smell fabulous. I've never tried it with other citrus fruits but I bet they work.

If you've got a fresh blood stain, soak it in ice cold water with a bit of bio washing powder. If the fabric isn't too delicate, you can rub the stain with another part of the same garment and it should come straight out.

To reduce the stink from an indoor cat's kitty litter, sprinkle in some baking soda when you change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

vicks is amazing. Chesty and congested? Take a facecloth, wet it, rub vicks onto it and put it on the radiator before you go to bed. Humidifies the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The only one I ever remember is when changing pillow cases & duvet covers. Turn them inside out and grab the corners of the pillow/duvet then shake it over.

& Baking soda works well for fridge odours too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Neyite wrote: »
    Vaseline rubbed inside straps and where skin contacts straps prevent blisters.

tit-tape is better than heel grips in shoes that are slippy with opaque tights..also brilliant with straps,

Insoles in a shoe a size above your feet will not make them fit. if you are told this in a shoe shop, its crap.

buy shoes early as you can during the day - feet swell while shopping so if you try later on, they might fit, but once you wear them for real, they might be too slippy.

*ex shoe shop worker & shoeholic*:D

Oooh, good tips, Neyite. whilst on the subject is there anything I can do to tighten my shoes up a wee bit? I have a FIERCE pair of Demonia "kerb stompers" (aka Frankenstein platforms) but they came about a size and a half too big. I've tried insteps and although they help, my toes are still sliding around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Butter too hard to spread and tearing your bread to pieces?
    I don't like leaving it out of the fridge,so
    I always spread a lump on the underside of the lid until it's soft and spreadable.
    As the lid won't break,you can squish and spread it with as much force as you want,until it's soft enough-only takes a few seconds.

Tiny bit of clear nail varnish,to stop a small tear turning into a ladder in a pair of tights.

If you keep knocking off your alarm clock and sleeping in, get a really loud annoying one and leave it somewhere where you have to actually get up and walk to to turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Wow guys brilliant thread!! Good job!
    • I find using kitchen paper to clean windows/glass coffee tables, glasses works wonders. Removes all dust and cleans it perfectly. - Also works with stainless steel kettles, bins, toasters etc.
    • Baby oil on a shower curtain prevents it from discolouring
    • Food related - If you're making a fruits salad or taking chopped bananas or apples into work or whatever, mixing them with a bit of lemon juice stops them going soft and brown.
    • Putting half an onion into your fridge overnight will get rid of any dodgy odours as it absorbs the stronger smells.
    • If your drinking glasses are getting cloudy from the dish-washer, soaking them in warm water and vinegar and then wiping them off will have them sparkling new again for you!
    • If you find your lighter clothes (delicates like underwear, light cotton cardys, tights etc) are getting destroyed in the washing machine, putting them into a pillow case for their wash keeps them fresh and pretty safe during the wash!
    Hope someone finds these useful! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

Heres the thread from before, there's loads of good stuff in there :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055395370

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

According to one the girls it's also great for defrizzing hair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

To scent a room, essential oil or perfume on a lightbulb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

For that burning feeling on the balls of your feet in high heels rub some bonjella- if its good enough to numb a babies gums, it'll numb your feet also!

Advertisement