Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I wish I'd thought of that!"- The Little Thread Of Handy Dandy Tips & Tricks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Danniboo wrote: »
    Milk is great for removing hair dye that's got on your face.

Iron your bedclothes when you've put them on the bed it's so much easier.

People iron bed clothes? :confused: I've heard it all now!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

These two have served me well...

If you spill red wine on carpet, clothes etc smoother it in salt straight after and leave it for a few hours...looks like new when u take it off!

Also vaseline and a cotton pad makes for a fantastic, and gentle, eye make-up remover ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

What should one try for bad foot odour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

WindSock wrote: »

not for your actual feet, but pop burnt toast into smelly shoes and the carbon should absorb most/all the odour. most odour-reducing insoles have carbon in them so this is the cheaper option. and you'll make a fun crunchy sound when you walk :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 galwaylady

For more grip on your footwear spray hairspray on the soles, worked wonders in the big snow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

People iron bed clothes? :confused: I've heard it all now!

Yeap and pyjamas :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Taking wheatgrass capsules every day is supposed to be really good for all types of body odour including foot odour. And it deals with the cause internally rather than just covering the smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Tescos Ironing Water, only 1.80 and leaves your clothes smelling yummy plus handy little squeezy thing to stop you spilling water everywhere .. genius :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Is it liek comfort vaporesse? That one is cheaper :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

LadyE wrote: »
    Is it liek comfort vaporesse? That one is cheaper :D

Or dribbling a little fabric softener in to the water and shaking well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 smaaaa

Loreal tru match foundation BEST EVER

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Or dribbling a little fabric softener in to the water and shaking well!

I actually tried that before, but it made black stuff dribble out of the steam holes in the iron, like it was dirty?

Maybe I used too much tho :o:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

vaseline and the rough side of an old clean sports sock is great for exfoliatting your lips so that lipstick goes on smoother and looks better. you can use a rough face cloth too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RightlyRandom

sam34 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

My exact reaction when i first saw it haha
    NoDice wrote: »
    YOUR FIST??!! Man.. Sounds like it wasn't a love bite at all.. Here we call them bruises from being punched!! :pac:

haha believe me if it was anywhere else besides my neck it probably would have been classed as a bruise from a punch! :eek: all i can say is thank f*ck for arnica n toothpaste.... worked wonders! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Use white wine on red wine spills to stop it causing a stain.

Read threads before posting in them to make sure you are not just repeating what has already been said.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smoggy11

Cillit bang grime and lime remover. It will literally clean everything.

We were cleaning out my uncles flat, (he's a filthy git, those houses on 'how clean is your house' have nothing on him. Clothes had rotted on the floor) and if it wasn't for cillit bang I may have killed myself. Honest to god, environmental health had got onto him at this stage.

It even cleaned all the dirty, mouldy, rusty, scummy, disgusting money that had made its way through the layers of rubbish to the floor.

I highly recommend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Littleblondehen

If you run out of body scrub, mix baby oil and sugar together. (Be careful it's quite slippery in the shower)

If you have run out of liquid eye liner, or want to try it without buying it, sharpen your eye pencil and blast it with a hairdryer to make it soft.

To keep your nails and tonails in good nick, gently use the corner of a towel to push back the cuticles after a shower.

Bicarbonate of soda helps to remove stains (from white clothes in my expierience) and odors from clothes, you can make a little paste with it and water and put it onto the stain for a few minutes before the wash, or put a couple of spoons of it in with the washing powder.

If you find you tend to pespire even while using deodrants or anti persperints, dab some mouth wash under your arms.

Talc/baby powder is great for soaking up excess oil in your hair if you haven't got time to wash it, although I would prefer to use dry shampoo - be careful if you have dark hair!!

Face masks - if you can eat it, you can put it on your face! Also if you use some medical gauze and put that on your skin first before the mask it makes it less messy, just remember to cut out some holes!

A water mist (you can buy bottles that mist rather than spray) can be sprayed over your makeup, from a distance, to help to set it. Some girls I know use hairspray! but I prefer the water mist.

I'm sure I have some more!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pinkpigs

if you are chopping chillies and accidentally rub your eye or nose with your hand and in doing so transfer chilli poision, soak the affected area in milk or vodka.. (don't add soda water or lime to the vodka, chances are you end up locked and half a thai green curry - speaking from experience :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

WD 40 is brill for getting rid of stickers that won't come off properly. Have had to do it plenty of times-works a charm!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭anomalous

McChubbin wrote: »
    All hail Kim and Aggie!

A few tips for beauty on a budget, courtsey of my granny:

Protein Face Mask:
    Seperate one egg. Into the whites, mix a teaspoon of sugar and about 1 1/2 tablespoons of oat flakes. Mix together and then slatter your face with it. Let harden and leave on for 15 minutes then rinse. The oats and sugar will exfoliate your skin whilst the protein in the egg whites will nourish and make your skin silky.

Cheap Fake Tan:
    Get some cold tea bags and a tub of moisturiser. Strain out the teabags and mix with the moisturiser-roughly 2 parts tea to 4 parts moisturiser.
    The effect will be subtle but can be built up for a particular shade.

This one works wonders for my sensitive scalp:

Avocado, Cucumber & Mango Hair Mask:
    In a large bowl, mash together an avocado, half a cucumber and about one quarter of a mango. Mix in 10-12 drops of tea tree oil, a splash of watered-down honey and 10 drops of aloe vera or jojoba oil. Mix together until it forms a thick paste. Plop it onto your head, comb it through and leave it to "ferment" for an hour or preferably overnight. Rinse out and marvel at the silkiness. Also, your head will smell like mango yumminess!

No toothpaste?
    Mix Bongela and bicarbonate of soda. Tastes absolutely rank but great for scrubbing off coffee stains in a hurry.

the hair mask and the face mask sounds great

put some ordinary cooking oil on your hands and add some sugar then rub them together the sugar will exfoliate your hands and when you wash it off they will be so soft (i get exema on my hands so this is quite good between flare ups to get your hands back in good condition)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭addictedtoshoes

Ok so it's not the most amazing tip you'll ever get but the BEST EVER eye make-up remover is a bit of baby oil on cotton wool, and so cheap!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

Hydrogen Peroxide mixed 50:50 with a liquid washing detergent will get red wine out of anything. Make sure you leave it soak for a little while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

Neyite wrote: »
    Vaseline rubbed inside straps and where skin contacts straps prevent blisters.

tit-tape is better than heel grips in shoes that are slippy with opaque tights..also brilliant with straps,

How does that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

In relation to love bites I've heard the works, toothpaste...vinegar...none worked on me.

I actually discovered this when I went paintballing with some male friends. Afterwards I was covered in bruises the size of satsumas! I soaked some witchhazel (clear liquid, available in chemists quite cheap) into some cottonwool and held it against the bruises for about 15 minutes. THEY WERE GONE THE NEXT DAY!! It works the same, but quicker, than arnica :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

I must try this! I have wide feet so sometimes I have to buy a smaller size when I want to wear heels, but I usually end up with blisters after a few hours of dancing. :( I've tried putting band-aids before I go out, but they never stay on long enough to be effective.

FORGET BUYING BLISTER PROTECTION CRAP! go to pharmacy and ask for duoderm extra thin, its a dressing used for pressure ulcers/delicate skin. It can be cut to size, works wonders and will last a good bit if u cut it wisely. Plus its sorta skin coloured...

apparently rubbing soap (solid) against the frictitious areas will help too!
    * i also have wide feet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Neyite wrote: »
    buy shoes early as you can during the day - feet swell while shopping so if you try later on, they might fit, but once you wear them for real, they might be too slippy.

*ex shoe shop worker & shoeholic*:D

I'd always been told the opposite- that if you buy early in the day then the shoes will be painful to wear for a full day as they'll be too tight once your feet start to swell. It makes more sense to me to buy when your feet are at their biggest!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Wash your hands in COLD water after chopping onions or garlic to get rid of the smell.. hot water cooks it into your skin and the smell lingers longer..

Same principal when washing blood stains out of clothes.. cold water all the way.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Tea Tree Oil.

Put some on cottonwool and wipe your feet making sure to do inbetween the toes.

the smell is a bacterial and with Tea Tree being the worlds best anti-bacterial agent it will be cleared up within a week - never to return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

xzanti wrote: »
    Wash your hands in COLD water after chopping onions or garlic to get rid of the smell.. hot water cooks it into your skin and the smell lingers longer..

Same principal when washing blood stains out of clothes.. cold water all the way.

You can also rub a raw potato on your hands to remove onion/garlic smells. Rubbing your hands on stainess steel whilst washing them will also remove bad smells-run your hands over the head of the tap if they are stainless steel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Tumble dryer sheet in a hoover bag....give a lovely fresh smell :)

Love this thread :)

Advertisement