Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I wish I'd thought of that!"- The Little Thread Of Handy Dandy Tips & Tricks

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Thank you whoever said that baby oil is a great make up remover. I had a shower last night and my skin looked clean but I still had a bit of eye makeup under my eyes I was amazed that there was still foundation on my skin! :)

I have lovely clean skin now! :) Thanks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Justask wrote: »
    Tumble dryer sheet in a hoover bag....give a lovely fresh smell :)

Love this thread :)

Good one. A few drops of fragranced oil on the filter or bag works well too. I use the oil I have for those little tea-light oil/water burners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

When I don't have any serum to stop the frizz in my hair, I use facial moisturizer or hand cream instead... Does the exact same job.

Quick blast of the "cool" button on your hairdryer adds shine to your hair and removes static.

Once you've washed out your conditioner, do your last rinse on a cool temperature. This seals the cuticles in your hair and adds extra shine, makes hair easier to style too!

Boots often do "travel sized" options of regular products. Great idea to try out a new product without having to shell out for the full one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Neyite wrote: »
    buy shoes early as you can during the day - feet swell while shopping so if you try later on, they might fit, but once you wear them for real, they might be too slippy.

*ex shoe shop worker & shoeholic*:D

Worked in footwear myself for a while and was told the exact opposite!

Try shoes on at the end of the day when your feet will be slightly bigger?!

-If you are dying your hair at home, use vaseline around your hairline to stop the dye bleeding onto your skin, but don't get it in your hair or the dye wont take.

-Lather, rinse repeat. Always repeat if you want to actually clean your hair (probably not necessary if you wash your hair every day!) it's surprising how many people don't know this!

-Cif and a toothbrush is effective for cleaning most runners! Don't put them in the washing machine!

-If you get caught in the rain and your shoes/runners get soaked through, stuff them with newspaper it will absorb the water and they will dry out alot quicker.

-If you happen to spill oil on your Uggs, rub/sprinkle chalk on them and let it dry a little and then brush it off. Also if they get water stains on them, when they are dry take a soft bristled brush and brush them down and they will be good as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭niamhzie

salt dissolved in the minimum amount of water [ie still a bit grainy like body scrub] will get out blood or grease stains- even from whites!

and you can make scrambled eggs with far less hassle in a mug, blitz it in the microwave for a minute, stir though and go again until they're done, and it's way easier to pop the mug into the dishwasher when you're done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Just opened a packet of crisps and can't finish them? Put them in the microwave, it's a sealed unit so will keep them fresh for days - works for bread too, just remember to take them out before you use it though :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Fimsh

This post is so old but if anyone is still reading it then pick me up magazine has tips in every issue there great you can probably get them online!
    Also Olive Oil and sugar is a great exfoliant i would never buy an exfoliant again.
    Egg white is a great face mask followed by the egg yolk!
    Vinegar truly does clean glass to a T.
    A slice of lemon in your fridge takes away odours.
    olive oil on feet and then in socks over night leaves soft feet.
    Also olive oil in your bath leave soft skin!

Now that ive a place to share all my tips ive seem to forgotten most! But coke is a good limescale remover!
    Sprinkle baking soda into the carpet leave for a while before hoovering it can eliminate fabric odours!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Milton is great for removing coffee satins from cups. I use it one cup at a time so you only need about half a cupful and swirl it about. If you don't like that idea, damp salt will work if you rub it all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thefireinside

xzanti wrote: »
    Same principal when washing blood stains out of clothes.. cold water all the way.

Yep, soak sheets/underwear in cold water and a lash of salt.. sorted! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Fimsh wrote: »
    Now that ive a place to share all my tips ive seem to forgotten most! But coke is a good limescale remover!
    Sprinkle baking soda into the carpet leave for a while before hoovering it can eliminate fabric odours!

Coke is also great for taking off burn marks in pots. pour coke into pot leave overnight and wash off.

Can you imagine what coke does to your insides if we are using it for limescale and burned pots :eek:

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

lala stone wrote: »
    How does that work?

Vaseline stops the skin sticking to the inside of your shoe, and prevents the blisters. The body tape is double sided so if you stick some to your heel on the opaque tights and that sticks to the inside of your shoe it stops the shoe slipping off the heel.
    Worked in footwear myself for a while and was told the exact opposite!

Try shoes on at the end of the day when your feet will be slightly bigger?!

Well, the way I know it is that when you have tried them on with swollen feet, and are they are comfortable then, you might be up to a half size bigger than you normally would be.

The next time you put them on they will be loose as your feet will have returned to normal size that half size smaller. Shoes will widen and stretch anyway with the warmth of your feet so better to start off with the right size for non swollen feet.

It would be similar to buying a bra when your boobs are swollen from pms. when they go back down to their usual size the bra will gape at the cup for 3 weeks of the month when they are not swollen.

Justask wrote: »
    Coke is also great for taking off burn marks in pots. pour coke into pot leave overnight and wash off.

Can you imagine what coke does to your insides if we are using it for limescale and burned pots :eek:

Thanks for the burn tip!! but yeah omg i dont want to drink coke again now when uv put it like that eeekk :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Milton is great for removing coffee satins from cups. I use it one cup at a time so you only need about half a cupful and swirl it about. If you don't like that idea, damp salt will work if you rub it all around.

If you have a dishwasher and a lot of stained cups and mugs - even teaspoons - stick it on a hot cycle with a little squirt of bleach on top of the items in the top rack (so it doesn't drain away at the start of the cycle).

Guaranteed spotless sparkling cups, mugs, glasses and cutlery, and it de-whiffs and de-greases your dishwasher too.

But remember run the things through the rinse cycle after the bleachy wash, to make sure theres no residue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Any tips on keeping clothes in drawers/air tight boxes smelling fresh?

I was thinking along the lines of baking soda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Any tips on keeping clothes in drawers/air tight boxes smelling fresh?

I was thinking along the lines of baking soda?

Dryer sheets!! :D:D:D:D 2/3 in each drawer keep my underthings fragrant also they build up the fragrance already deposited on the clothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Dryer sheets!! :D:D:D:D 2/3 in each drawer keep my underthings fragrant also they build up the fragrance already deposited on the clothing.

Well, if you want your clothes smelling, then that's the trick alright! I received a box of clothes from a friend who'd put dryer sheets in it & I could still smell the dryer sheets after washing the clothes a couple times. In fact, I hung up the dryer sheets in my utility room & they stunk it up for a week :D

Doctor evil, there's nothing wrong with using baking (ie: bread) soda in your drawers. It will absorb any odours & moisture, which will leave your clothes smelling like nothing at all...clean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Ayla wrote: »
    Well, if you want your clothes smelling, then that's the trick alright! I received a box of clothes from a friend who'd put dryer sheets in it & I could still smell the dryer sheets after washing the clothes a couple times. In fact, I hung up the dryer sheets in my utility room & they stunk it up for a week :D

Doctor evil, there's nothing wrong with using baking (ie: bread) soda in your drawers. It will absorb any odours & moisture, which will leave your clothes smelling like nothing at all...clean!

What brand...they sound great!!:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

A layer of salt left on the burnt kayer if dinner in a pan will he like new overnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭joanmul

I soak towels in washing soda and hot water for a few hours before putting them in the washing machine. I use 30o heat wash instead of 40o for economy reasons but the washing soda has already loosened the grime. I haven't used it for ordinary clothes because it's supposed to be used on cotton and linen only.

• Advertisement
Advertisement