Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good causes.

Options
  • 17-02-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

well,most of the C&Hers do some sort of good deeds every now and thens]or refuse 3 quid to a childrens charity,eh Grace :P [/s][b]correction: evidence below[/b

so,here's a thread to pimp out your causes and why you do it? it's something I always wonder is why people do work for particular causes.

for me,my big one would be console[an irish charity for helping those who've lost people to suicide and who have depression] because it's something close to my heart and that I've had a lot of dealings with the issue and know first hand how much it can mean to people.

I'm hoping to give blood in a few weeks[when I'm 18] and hopefully a few hours here and there to niteline next year,but they don't normally take second years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Children's Cancer Fund in Our Lady's Children's Hospital Crumlin.

Going out chugging* in the City Centre for them tomorrow (Science Day) so I should be able push the amount I've cobbled together to around a grand by the end of the week.

There are a few other charities I "like", but this is pretty worthy, also their donation income will probably be considerably down in this quarter due to that whole Haiti thing, so I think any push they can get will be pretty useful.

*Not real chugging, volunteer collecting, but I prefer the sound it....>_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Our Lady's Children's Hospital Crumlin.

When I was in secondary school I did an awful lot of Irish dancing. We were frequently involved in concerts, performances etc., we held a 'dance marathon' a few years in a row and donated all profit from the feiseanna our school ran to charity. The majority of this money went to Crumlin. Our dancing teacher's daughter has a very rare illness and she spends alot of time there so it's a cause close to all the dancers hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Irish Cancer Society through TodayFM Shave or Dye campaign.

Always wanted to dye my hair anyway, but with work, I wouldn't do it. Like helping this charity in raising funds, know people who have overcome the horrors, and also know people affected by immediate family members dying due to it. So find it very worthy.

If anyone here wants to sponsor me just say so and I'll throw up the link, would be much appreciated.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1022753294

Link to facebook so can see my hair at moment. Not just bluffing it! And some of ye may have seen it around UCD(come and say hi! if ya see me)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I have a nagging feeling I'm still giving Concern €4 a month... bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Its lollipop day tomorrow.
    All collections go towards supporting those with oesophageal cancer.
    Tbh, its not a charity I have any personal connection with. Just decided to help out since im going to be doing sfa tomorrow anyway.

Give us your money and you get a lollipop. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Excuuuuse me Alan

I volunteer for UCDSVP, give money to Concern...am a member of PETA and Greenpeace (please don't dis PETA. I'm not in the mood.) I raise money for Cork Simon a few times a year, OH and The Donkey Sanctuary in Cork, I freakin love that place. Helping them is a pleasure. The Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind have a spesul place in my heart too. Love those people.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Excuuuuse me Alan

I volunteer for UCDSVP, give money to Concern...am a member of PETA and Greenpeace (please don't dis PETA. I'm not in the mood.) I raise money for Cork Simon a few times a year, OH and The Donkey Sanctuary in Cork, I freakin love that place. Helping them is a pleasure. The Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind have a spesul place in my heart too. Love those people.
    Why would we diss them? By the way do you support the saving of teh Sea Kittens?

Oh dear, I think I might just keep my opinion on peta to myself..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I don't really give to charity because I just can't afford to. All my money gets spent on feeding me and paying for my buses. I want to help, but I don't have a massively huge amount of free time either, so *shrug*

I'm a bit selfish as well I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Hotaru wrote: »
    When I was in secondary school I did an awful lot of Irish dancing. We were frequently involved in concerts, performances etc., we held a 'dance marathon' a few years in a row and donated all profit from the feiseanna our school ran to charity

I love Irish dancing shows, I do them all the time :) We tried doing a dance marathon but it didn't go so well. Last St. Patricks Day we went to 7/8 different places and danced to raise money and that was pretty crazy but good at the same time. I might be doing that again this year.
    I did a lot of fundraising in TY. I was out in the streets selling badges, roses and bears about 6 times. It got a little boring but it was for good causes. Then i'm a prefect this year so when i'm not with first years i'm organising fundraisers and things like that for different charities. Mainly the Hope Foundation. It's a lot of fun actually (although a little stressful), going to miss it next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Nearly forgot about the piles of money I raised for Concern over my secondary school days... my school was the top fundraising school in Connacht for the Concern fast so it was a big thing every year. Those hours and hours I spent on freezing cold street corners shaking my little collection box... memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I lost my voice for SVP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Our school wants us to go calling around to doors for charity. Now, I'm all for charity, and I'm no greedy bastard, but does anyone else think I've the right to feel abit uncomfortable about it? I mean, first of all it's a recession, secondly nobody will take a young'un seriously, and thirdly I don't wanna be an annoying door-to-door salesman. I wouldn't mind collecting on the street or something, but badgering people for money for the ole poor in their face, in a recession?

I'm not even gonna consider whatever the fúck it is you people meant up there ^

Just wrote the rantyist blog post of my life and can't decide whether it made me feel better or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Excuuuuse me Alan

I absolutely love The Donkey Sanctuary! I think it's such a beautiful place down there and the work they do is fantastic. You read such horror stories in the letters and to see how they turn the poor animals' lives around is just fantastic. I have always been a big supporter of their work.

I have a big thing for charities that work with third world countries and hungry children and that. The Trócaire box is filling up nicely in my house! And anything to do with Chernobyl or Belarus really. I have organised stuff in the past for a charity that works with the poor children in the orphanages. It's heartbreaking to see pictures of these places and I would like to think that someday I could go out there and help in any way I could.

As may be obvious from my donkey love, anybody collecting for animals always gets something. I just love animals and I really can't pass them by.

Those P.A.W.S bastardz on Grafton Street are a motherfúcker. The amount of times they pilfered my bus money...

I'm not even gonna consider whatever the fúck it is you people meant up there ^

Just wrote the rantyist blog post of my life and can't decide whether it made me feel better or worse.

I'll explain if you want, I'll have to seriously sober up first though!

While I might despise peta, I dont really want to get banned for expressing my opinion on them!

Fad wrote: »
    I'll explain if you want, I'll have to seriously sober up first though!

While I might despise peta, I dont really want to get banned for expressing my opinion on them!
    I seriously, seriously, seriously don't want.

Cant handle the truth? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I do the trocaire fast every year, they made a big thing of it in school so that got me into it.
    Have been a member of the DSPCA for years now, signed up one day when I was in town randomly, thought it was worth my while.
    Did a shit load in TY, and volunteered in a St Vincent De Paul shop as part of my president's award.
    Planning on joining UCDSVP next year.

Although these days, I've been far to broke to really be able to give much to charity, but give whatever little change I can afford usually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Im did collecting for concern :) and i would love to do shave or dye but my school won't let me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Am a uncharitable bastard myself apparently. It's not my fault, it's all them charity workers for being so eerily cheery all the damn time. :(

They have this strange alien hive mind thing going for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Sorry folks, just to clarify.
    Lollipop day is friday he 26th. I felt like such a fool when I rang the organiser and told her I was on the way up. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Don't worry, here I won't burden yourself with nonesense, as always I respect your opinion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Oooh the found memories of standing in the freezing cold asking people for money until you got the urge to throw the bucket at the people who just ignored you :p
    I actually love collecting, a guy even offered my hot chocolate one day. Didn't drink it though, he looked kinda dodgy :(

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Wikipedia wrote:
    Some of the campaigns have been controversial. The 2003 Holocaust on your Plate exhibition consisted of eight 60-square-foot (5.6 m2) panels, each juxtaposing images of the Holocaust with images of factory farming. The campaign was inspired by the Nobel Prize-winning Jewish author Isaac Bashevis Singer, a vegetarian and animal rights supporter.[27] Singer wrote (as the main character in one of his novels): "In relation to them [animals], all people are Nazis; for them it is an eternal Treblinka."[27] Photographs of concentration camp inmates were shown next to photographs of caged chickens, and piled bodies of Holocaust victims next to a pile of pig carcasses. Captions alleged that, "like the Jews murdered in concentration camps, animals are terrorized when they are housed in huge filthy warehouses and rounded up for shipment to slaughter. The leather sofa and handbag are the moral equivalent of the lampshades made from the skins of people killed in the Nazi death camps."[28][29] The Anti-Defamation League denounced the campaign, its chairman, Abraham Foxman (himself a Holocaust survivor[27]), calling the exhibition "outrageous, offensive and tak[ing] chutzpah to new heights... The effort by PETA to compare the deliberate systematic murder of millions of Jews to the issue of animal rights is abhorrent."[29][30]
    PETA regularly asks towns and cities to change their names. In April 2003, they offered free veggie burgers to the city of Hamburg, New York, in exchange for changing its name to Veggieburg. It campaigned in 1996 to have the town of Fishkill, New York, change its name, claiming the name suggests cruelty to fish. (The root "kill", found in many New York town names, is Dutch for "creek.")[114] In October 2003, the group urged the town of Rodeo, California call itself Unity, an acknowledgment of Union Oil's role in saving the area economically in the late 19th century. PETA offered to donate $20,000 worth of veggie burgers to local schools if the name was changed.[115] In 2007, the group asked Commerce City, Colorado to change its name to KentuckyFriedCruelty.com.[116] In October 2008, PETA launched the "Save the Sea Kittens" campaign, calling fish "sea kittens" in an attempt to give them a positive image.[117] In April 2009, PETA asked the Pet Shop Boys to change their name to Rescue Shelter Boys. The musicians said that while they were unable to agree to the request, it "raises an issue worth thinking about."[118]

Now, I'm genuinely not trying to bait you here. And I'm sure that PETA do a lot of good work, but stuff like the above just makes me shake my head in a sort of "implied facepalm" way.

Advertisement