Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cavity Insulation

• 18-02-2010 12:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

A quick question about cavity insulation, if I build a regular cavity block build with a 150mm cavity and a 110mm rigid board with a 40mm cavity, can I pump the remaining 40mm with bonded beads???

Will this effect the dew point, cause damp build up or excess moisture???

Will it reduce thermal looping?

What type of u value could you expect?

Is it worth then drylining the internal Walls with a further insulated slab?

Sorry about all the questions, have got some great advice here and appreciate the time taken to answer lads!

Oh one other thing I'm finding it very hard to decide between a regular cavity block build and an external insulation build, any pro's and cons and people experiences would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

srdb20 wrote: »
    A quick question about cavity insulation, if I build a regular cavity block build with a 150mm cavity and a 110mm rigid board with a 40mm cavity, can I pump the remaining 40mm with bonded beads???

1. Will this effect the dew point, cause damp build up or excess moisture???

2. Will it reduce thermal looping?

3. What type of u value could you expect?

4. Is it worth then drylining the internal Walls with a further insulated slab?

Sorry about all the questions, have got some great advice here and appreciate the time taken to answer lads!

Oh one other thing I'm finding it very hard to decide between a regular cavity block build and an external insulation build, any pro's and cons and people experiences would be greatly appreciated!!!!

1. wont affect dew point, with 110 (are you putting 60 + 50 in cavity?)mm board the dew point is within the cavity anyway.

2. no, not really. thermal looping is caused when the board insulation is not held tight against the inner block face. pumping the cavity isnt going to make much difference.

3. probably around .18 but i dont think youve thought out the practicalities. can you get 110 board insulation? are you going to pay for two types of installations? most of teh cost of pumped insulation is getting the vehicle to the site.....

4. "is it worth....????"............ is it worth what?? it is worth it if its done correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Typically bonded bead insulation requires 50mm min cavity . You would be better to do either/or in the cavity .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Thanks for the quick replies lads

What's the typical u values for a full fill bonded bead within a cavity lads?

If I dryline with insulated plasterboard on the internal wall will I encounter any damp problems, for some reason I keep thinking it will but not sure why.

Basically Im looking for suggestions for the best and I mean best cavity Insulation setup available lads.... Any tips

Advertisement