Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For the fan experts out there

Options
  • 18-02-2010 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭

Whilst I know little about motherboards or ram, I know less about fans, I just bung them in.

This time I am looking for a quality fan, quiet as possible, good cooling.. and very very low profile

Its not for overclocking.. just to replace a stock AMD 955 cooler.. which barely fits under a power supply in a MATX case..

Really sorry I can''t give exact dimensions can maybe find out tomorrow..

Any ideas? the noise from this AMD fan at stock is just too high.. I don't mind underclocking but would prefer to keep the speeds and run a better fan

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Hey I am thinking of getting the Scythe Shuriken on this page from HWS - seems low enough (anything that is the same or lower than AMD stock cooler is fine)

Do I need to buy special mounting brackets or anything?

Is this cooler decent?

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp?agid=440&search.sKey=&rp=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

That cooler will be fine but will cost you to much as there is a 30 euro delivery charge from hardwareversand.
    The dimensions that you can fit would help people suggest a cooler for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Do you have any 120mm fans on that case,it may be worth looking into the Corsair H50 if you do.

Other than that,the Scythe Mini Ninja seems to be a favourite with the M-ATX crowd.Komplett used to have it but they seem to no longer have any Scythe products listed

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What case are we dealing with? Something like a Sugo SG03 wouldn't even be able to take a Minja :(

And while the Shruiken is awesome its not a high-performance model. It'll run pretty hot with a 125W+ CPU like the X4-955BE. That's more H50 territory :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Well people have been complaining the stock cooler from AMD is loud, but with the 'speed' holes in the Sugo02 it ends up being v loud

I wasn't planning on such a hot chip, but the deal was too good, so I don't mind

Anyway I have about 80mm total clearance above.. frostytech recommends some decent ones.. the samuri scythe looks the part.. but if there is something that will run quieter out there then ill go for it

• Advertisement
Advertisement