Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting service history information

• 18-02-2010 12:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been answered, I tried to search for it but was getting to many results.

Basically I bought a car and was told it had a full service history but not actually with the car. It was imported from the north so I done a UK car check on it and it returned what looked like service work. I wasn't really worried about this, the car was given a real good going over and I was happy it was in good shape so let this part go.

Basically I just wanna get the history (if it does have it!), so how can I do this? Do I just ring a dealership? and do they charge for it? I've read some posts on here that the key stores details.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been answered, I tried to search for it but was getting to many results.

Basically I bought a car and was told it had a full service history but not actually with the car. It was imported from the north so I done a UK car check on it and it returned what looked like service work. I wasn't really worried about this, the car was given a real good going over and I was happy it was in good shape so let this part go.

Basically I just wanna get the history (if it does have it!), so how can I do this? Do I just ring a dealership? and do they charge for it? I've read some posts on here that the key stores details.

How do you mean it returned something that looked like service work? AFAIK UK car checks only check HPI, MOT not service history.

Your only way to get the service book now is to hound the seller. If they don't have it when they sell the car there is little chance they'll have it now you've paid your money.

A full service history is only valid if they have the book for you too look at when you're buying the car, if they don't have it then consider it doesn't have a FSH for your purchase, so that you can verify that the service history is correct and not a fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

I done a hpi check on it and as part of the mileage report it has a load of listings and it says recorded by manufacturer. I was assuming they were services.

I was under the impression that I might be able to get the details, maybe not the book itself. Like I say, I'm not overly pushed if I can't but it would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If they can't find the book, ask them where they got the car serviced. Then contact that garage and ask for copies of the invoices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

If the car was for example an Audi.If you call Audi UK they can give you a fill print out of when and where it was serviced (That is if it was serviced in a main dealer).

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Right 1st Time

I tried that with BMW. main dealer only had records for work they carried out. Went to BMW customer care who basically said *uck off, we dont have to give it to you.

Remember that next time you go to buy a BMW Approved Used Car from their fantastic range:rolleyes:

After all didnt they use to say " Only we can access your Cars DNA" :(

• Advertisement

It's a BMW. I'll probably ask them to give me whatever details they have when I go for a service. It'll be either that or no business :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's a BMW. I'll probably ask them to give me whatever details they have when I go for a service. It'll be either that or no business :D

You should have gon ein with that attitude before buying the car.

The only way things like clocking will be gotten rid of is if people insist on service histories with cars.

Cant argue there, bit hypocritical but it was such a bloody great deal I got :D

The mileage report I got back from hpi suggested all was in order anyway.

Guess I'll just have to wait until service time before I can get it so.

Advertisement