Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time lapse problems

• 18-02-2010 12:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Tried my first time lapse today. note the two operative words, "tried" and "first"

One major problem I have is the camera seems to be moving on its own. It was on a tripod hooked up to my mac which was set to take the images at 20 second intervals, so it wasn't touched. It was either the wind, and it wasn't windy really, or more likely, the mirror moving for each shot. I'm using a D90. I'm aware now, Ii wasn't earlier, that there is an exposure delay setting so any movement from the mirror should die down before the shot is taken. But this wouldn't really solve my problem (if its the mirror) as the mirror would still be moving for each shot.

Have a look and see what you think. Any feedback on it at all would be great, but I'm mainly looking for insight on the movement. Focus on the rocks on the left to really notice it.

Killiney Bay Time Lapse

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

For me it looks the the autofocus was on and camera refocused before taking each shot. And most of the lenses change the focal length a tiny bit during focusing.
    Manual focus (even using a bit of masking tape on the focusing ring) and manual exposure mode are your best friends right after the tripod and remote shutter release (in your case in form of laptop).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I had this problem the frist time I tried TL with my D90.
    Thonda hit the nail on the head, Auto-focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Highly recommend having a look at this youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/milapse

You'll also find useful info at www.timescapes.org

Also, I don't know what lens you where using, but I'd recommend to use a manual lense, and have the aperature locked wide open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

ThOnda wrote: »
    For me it looks the the autofocus was on and camera refocused before taking each shot. And most of the lenses change the focal length a tiny bit during focusing.
    Manual focus (even using a bit of masking tape on the focusing ring) and manual exposure mode are your best friends right after the tripod and remote shutter release (in your case in form of laptop).

I looked at it again and you seem to correct. If you look at the left and the bottom, they both move inwards, which is in line with adjusting the foal length. A movement by the mirror or wind would see the same shift at all areas.
    mrmac wrote: »
    Highly recommend having a look at this youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/milapse

You'll also find useful info at www.timescapes.org

Also, I don't know what lens you where using, but I'd recommend to use a manual lense, and have the aperature locked wide open.

Thanks for the links, I'll have a look later on when I get back home. I'm using the kit 18-105. I'll flick everything over to manual next time and see how I get on. There were a few settings over on manual but I didn't do them all, my bad.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Manual *everything*!

Movie won't load for me. Stupid Apple...

• Advertisement

I have done a couple with that same lens. I found turning off the VR (with the camera on a tripod) helped with consistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

is there a mirror up facility on the D90 ?

pixbyjohn wrote: »

I wish! Afar as I can tell, the mirror lock up is for sensor cleaning and the shutter won't fire while engaged.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think so, read the manual and searched the interwebs for info.

sineadw wrote: »
    Manual *everything*!

Ye it'll be full manual from now on.
    Stupid Apple...

Don't insult the gods!! :P
    I have done a couple with that same lens. I found turning off the VR (with the camera on a tripod) helped with consistency.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go without VR. Might even posts the results here!
    pixbyjohn wrote: »

Nope, the closest thing is exposure delay which resets the shutter after each photo, not what we want here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

alexlyons wrote: »
    Might even posts the results here!

Do! You shouldn't need mirror lock or anything. I've never used it. You using an intervalometer?

Edit - I see you're using a mac for timing.

(fights... urge.. to say... that's the problem...)

• Advertisement

Do! You shouldn't need mirror lock or anything. I've never used it. You using an intervalometer?

will do! I think the auto focus was the issue on that one. I'm using my mac at the minute. I'm gonna get an intervalometer soon, there's one for the D90 for €25 plus a few quid shipping on ebay!

Advertisement