Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[C&C] Steaming hot infrared eye candy

• 18-02-2010 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

How is my composition? Arrangement/crop in all of these is niggling at me.

20100217104619_48.jpg

20100216190520_1.jpg

20100217190104_1w.jpg

20100217210731_5a.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

love em. smashing work.

saw #2 the other day on your blog and thought it fantastic.

no issue to my mind with composition, etc... the last would be my least favourite but still a great image. the rest of them are A+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I like them ,no 3 has an other-worldly feel. no idea about the technical side of it though !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭smcclaw

They're fantastic, love them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Super work on these. Like all of them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

They're great. I'd love to know the locations...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭veryrandom

These are gorgeous! They look like paintings! (this is a good thing). How did you get the gorgeous black and white effect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I think the crop is a bit too tight on them. Except for the second one, i'd leave a little space for them to breathe a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

All of them are outstanding!

Particularly love that tower thing, where is it??

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Number 3 is just amazing! Where is that tower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I love #3

Did you add a blue tone to shot 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Do you have the sensor modified on your camera for infrared photography? All shots are amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

They look great; if I had to nitpick maybe a bit more foreground on number 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

swingking wrote: »
    Do you have the sensor modified on your camera for infrared photography? All shots are amazing

I shoot through an R72 filter glass; I do it this way partly because I am poor, and partly because I *want* the 30 second exposures.
    daycent wrote:
    They're great. I'd love to know the locations...

Locations locations locations:

1. Tyrone House, Kilcolgan, Co. Galway.
    2. Dunguaire Castle, Kinvara, Co. Galway.
    3. Ballycurrin Lighthouse I'm not sure on the lighthouse's townland, so I'll just say ''Ballycurrin Demense, Co. Mayo." Ballycurrin Demense, Co. Mayo.
    4. Ross Errilly Friary, Headford, Co. Galway.

It starts in camera with good white balance (pretty much ''Auto'') and a polarizer to get the sky nicely dark.

Processing is simply...I browse black and white presets in Lightroom and drag sliders around until I'm happy. In a lot of cases I'll do a two-layers-plus-gradient job on the sky (#'s 1 and 3) to get it perfectly dark. My own modification of Mike Lao's two 300 (film) presets form the basis of much of my black and white. The presets are like the Swiss Army Knives of Lightroom.

I started a beginner's guide to Infrared on my blog here. Heart me enough and I will get off my butt to finish it. I have a whole start-to-end workflow ready to go up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

do circular polarisers work with that filter?

Fenster wrote: »
    Processing is simply...I browse black and white presets in Lightroom and drag sliders around until I'm happy. In a lot of cases I'll do a two-layers-plus-gradient job on the sky (#'s 1 and 3) to get it perfectly dark. My own modification of Mike Lao's two 300 (film) presets form the basis of much of my black and white. The presets are like the Swiss Army Knives of Lightroom.

Have you tried Silver Efex from Niksoftware? Thats what I use for b/w conversions, absolutely love it.

I've never actually heard of it before this very moment in time. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Have you tried Silver Efex from Niksoftware? Thats what I use for b/w conversions, absolutely love it.

Interesting. Why do you prefer it over LR/PS?

sineadw wrote: »
    Interesting. Why do you prefer it over LR/PS?

I don't really use Photoshop that much, I use CNX2 for most of my processing (simply gives me the best results), I only use Photoshop for really basic things, and as a platform for Nik- Filters. Silver Efex is great, because its so easy to use, and I like the fact, that it can simulate so many old b/w films.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Visuelle

Number 1 is tightly cropped but they are all very good, especially like number 2, great job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Last three are bang on, first one kinda sticks out like a sore thumb for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Silvr efex is superb for converting.

Advertisement