Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Ad Video Game Music

Options
  • 18-02-2010 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

Watching tv there and this ad comes on and I instantly recognised the music, was pretty shocked to hear video game music being used for something else (youtube videos don't count)

Found the ad :

Its C&C Generals for those that don't know.

Anyone ever encounter any other video game music used in a similar way? TV Ad or film?

Even though theres been some fantastic tracks from video games over the years, people would generally still give you funny looks if you said bla bla track from bla bla game is very good. Yet a film or tv soundtrack is fine...

I guess times are changing.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Haha, it is very C&C now that you say it. I can't think of anything, but there was that whole M.Bison fiasco :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

RTE2 used lots of the Halo3 soundtrack during the coverage for the Irish World Cup play-offs against France,
    I think Top Gear used some aswell but Im not certain

Edit: can't find video of RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Top Gear used The Hell March from Red Alert for about 30 seconds on one show during a car test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Haha, it is very C&C now that you say it.

Its not just very C&C, it is! Its this exact track :

(also used in the intro for the game too)

jonnybadd wrote: »
    Top Gear used The Hell March from Red Alert for about 30 seconds on one show during a car test.

Wow! Hell march and all, my fav C&C track. I watch a lot of top gear and never saw this. That's pretty cool I gotta say, they always pick good music on top gear. I'd have honestly jumped out of my seat if I saw that episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

yeah i noticed this ad too :P. Have to say it did surprise me.

Rte using halo music for soccer lol:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

OT: I find myself singing "I'm a Mechanical man" on occasion.

Was I the only one to stick game CD's into CD players to listen to the tunes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,435 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Was I the only one to stick game CD's into CD players to listen to the tunes?

Yeah you were because the music wasn't on the CD noob :P

I remember often back in the ps1 days track 1 was the data and the rest was the music from the games. Remember listening to wipeout 2097, GTA 1 Quake 2 (pc ) and the likes. :D

btw best C&C 1 track :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Yeah you were because the music wasn't on the CD noob

The Worms theme was :D

What a riff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

EmacB wrote: »

Rte using halo music for soccer lol:rolleyes:

whats wrong with that? the halo soundtracks are all brilliant pieces of work

• Advertisement

lol @ halo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,435 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Helix wrote: »
    whats wrong with that? the halo soundtracks are all brilliant pieces of work

Halo 2's soundtrack was arse and I never even noticed Halo 3's soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Halo 2's soundtrack was arse and I never even noticed Halo 3's soundtrack.

the halo 3 ost is a bloody masterpiece

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

you could play music from the game disc. did it with the mechwarrior games a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

This is the main piece of music RTE used for the playoffs:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i remember tg4 using the "arrow sounds" from age of empires in there gaa coverage a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Love this!!! Its a pity Frank Klepacki didnt do Generals, the music would have been so much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 BaelNaMblath

VG music is awesome, and should be used elsewhere.

Korvanica wrote: »
    Its a pity Frank Klepacki didnt do Generals, the music would have been so much better

The music in generals was pretty damn good. But your right, Frank is the man.

Jesper Kyd is another great.

Advertisement