Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Wexford

Options
  • 18-02-2010 1:57am
    Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭

I got word today that I am on a shortlist for jobs in the Wexford area, would be based in Gorey, Enniscorthy or New Ross... North Wexford is looking most likely though.

Just wondering if people have any advice for me in relation to accommodation, good locations to live, ways to get involved in the community and the like. I'm in my late twenties and if I could afford it at all would consider living on my own as I'd be moving with a dog and that can be difficult in a houseshare.

Bit nervous about the whole thing so any advice is appreciated as I want to make an informed choice!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I got word today that I am on a shortlist for jobs in the Wexford area, would be based in Gorey, Enniscorthy or New Ross... North Wexford is looking most likely though.

Just wondering if people have any advice for me in relation to accommodation, good locations to live, ways to get involved in the community and the like. I'm in my late twenties and if I could afford it at all would consider living on my own as I'd be moving with a dog and that can be difficult in a houseshare.

Bit nervous about the whole thing so any advice is appreciated as I want to make an informed choice!!

If it's Gorey you end up in this link has a list of estate agents http://www.goreylinks.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=&PID=56 although it's not exhaustive.
    Presumably you have your own transport, if so I'd suggest Riverchapel, perhaps Riverchapel Wood. This is a fairly new estate C. 5 years and there are a few vacant lets in it. It's about 3 miles from Gorey and about 1/2 mile from Courtown, with the beach and the forest park, so ideal for a dog.
    I'd say you could pick up a 2 bed for about €500/month, plenty of haggle room in the present climate.
    I'm not sure what you mean by involvment in the community but Gorey has various social clubs.
    If you prefer to be closer to the centre of things then there are several estates on the outskirts of Gorey, notably Ramsgate, close to the railway station. This also has large green areas for the dog. Gorey wouldn't be my cup of tea but there are some nice areas, certainly if it was a choice between Gorey and Enniscorthy, I would pick Gorey every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

bmaxi wrote: »
    If it's Gorey you end up in this link has a list of estate agents http://www.goreylinks.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=&PID=56 although it's not exhaustive.
    Presumably you have your own transport, if so I'd suggest Riverchapel, perhaps Riverchapel Wood. This is a fairly new estate C. 5 years and there are a few vacant lets in it. It's about 3 miles from Gorey and about 1/2 mile from Courtown, with the beach and the forest park, so ideal for a dog.
    I'd say you could pick up a 2 bed for about €500/month, plenty of haggle room in the present climate.
    I'm not sure what you mean by involvment in the community but Gorey has various social clubs.
    If you prefer to be closer to the centre of things then there are several estates on the outskirts of Gorey, notably Ramsgate, close to the railway station. This also has large green areas for the dog. Gorey wouldn't be my cup of tea but there are some nice areas, certainly if it was a choice between Gorey and Enniscorthy, I would pick Gorey every time.

+1
    agree with everything here, I've been living in riverchapel for the past 3 years and I love it, loads of things to do for the kids and the dog. my brother lives in riverchapel wood and the estate is grand, houses are nice and cheap too

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

Would not dream of moving to riverchapel. Water and sewer problems in the summer. Too busy during the summer- traffic, noise, lots of antisocial visitors etc

Move to gorey town and be close to all amenities- new cinema, leisure cetres, clubs, shopping etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Ryan T wrote: »
    Would not dream of moving to riverchapel. Water and sewer problems in the summer. Too busy during the summer- traffic, noise, lots of antisocial visitors etc

I think you've just described Gorey except for the anti-social bit, that's a constant in Gorey.
    Water problems are more a feature of higher areas like Poulshone or Ardamine and, such as they are, are being addressed at the moment. I'm not aware of any sewage problems in Riverchapel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Murchal

Maybe somewhere a little further south of Gorey would be best. I think it prob depends on where you coming from and what you're used to. Courtown, Riverchapel etc. are great places to live, but because of the huge influx of tourists during the Summer and on bank holidays, it can seem so claustrophobic. Kilmuckridge is a good area - right on the coast with a blue flag beach at Morriscastle and still only 10-15mins from Gorey. It can still get crowded during the Summer though and if this worries you, best move a few mins inland - Monamolin, Boolavogue and Oulart might work. Monamolin has 4.5Km of forest walks on Carrigrew Hill, which would be good, seeing as how you have a dog and its near three towns - Gorey (10mins), Wexford (25mins) and Enniscorthy (20mins).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

hi i have a place to rent in enniscorthy if your interested ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    Would you be into a private house in Carlow just 25min from Gorey (Cheap)

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

the hunter wrote: »
    hi i have a place to rent in enniscorthy if your interested ??
    Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi
    Would you be into a private house in Carlow just 25min from Gorey (Cheap)

Job actually fell through but thanks a million everyone!!

Mods might want to lock this now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sally2222

Hi guys..
    im kind of in a similar situation..i recently got a job in wicklow town but will be working a lot in wexford..
    ive been told that arklow or gorey are my best bets to find accomodation...
    im 23 yrs old..which would be the better option do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

sally2222 wrote: »
    Hi guys..
    im kind of in a similar situation..i recently got a job in wicklow town but will be working a lot in wexford..
    ive been told that arklow or gorey are my best bets to find accomodation...
    im 23 yrs old..which would be the better option do you think?

If you're dead set on living in one of the towns I would say Gorey personally. Lots of new houses and development there in the last few years, new cinema opening soon etc. rent is not too expensive either but I guess that could be said for anywhere at the moment.

One thing to remember there is lots of very nice areas north of Gorey/south of Arklow if you have transport and wouldn't mind living a few minutes outside a town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cheesly

hi sally2222, I work in Rathdrum (right next to Wicklow town) and commute from gorey town. its 30-40 minutes but its mostly on the motorway so its not that bad.
    I HATE living in Gorey and plan to move to arklow during the summer. Arklow has much better shops first of all. Also there's only like two places to go out really in Gorey.(not the best)
    I've lived in Dublin, Kilkenny, Limerick and Cork before and love the hustle and bustle of a big place. I find it really hard to talk to people when I'm out in Gorey, people are quite cliquey and I find it really hard to make friends. (just to say im a really chatty outgoing person!!)
    gorey locals have also told me the same- that the place has changed over the past few years.
    Maybe arklow won't be much different but I have really tried with Gorey. Don't mean to offend anyone from gorey but thats my experience of it. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 j.coffey

I am actually looking to rent out a room in gorey town if your interested, wouldn't mind you bringing your dog!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

never mind gorey...just come to wexford town and commute ! youll have a ball and coming into the summer plenty of excellent beaches to choose from and a good buzz around !

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DUBDUBDUB

and dont want to start intercounty war so here goes!!

I can move with my job from Dublin to the south east and am looking at either Wexford or Waterford.

I am not Irish and my Missus is a Dub (not a scumbag or a D4 head, normal, friendly Dub, No Howyas or Batterborgers etc)

Kid goes to Educate together school so i am really limited in location choice to Waterford or Wexford Town.

I am looking for advice as to where near Wexford town we should move to? Has to be quite close as the Missus Doesnt really drive but is learning fast.

We would be renting at first then looking to buy when we find the right place.

As everyone is, we seek an area with low crime, nice houses, friendly folk etc etc and close to town

I have already asked pretty much the same questions on Waterford forum and people were very helpful.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

DUBDUBDUB wrote: »
    and dont want to start intercounty war so here goes!!

I can move with my job from Dublin to the south east and am looking at either Wexford or Waterford.

I am not Irish and my Missus is a Dub (not a scumbag or a D4 head, normal, friendly Dub, No Howyas or Batterborgers etc)

Kid goes to Educate together school so i am really limited in location choice to Waterford or Wexford Town.

I am looking for advice as to where near Wexford town we should move to? Has to be quite close as the Missus Doesnt really drive but is learning fast.

We would be renting at first then looking to buy when we find the right place.

As everyone is, we seek an area with low crime, nice houses, friendly folk etc etc and close to town

I have already asked pretty much the same questions on Waterford forum and people were very helpful.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. thanks in advance

I just looked the Educate Together school up in Wexford and its located in Clonard which is a nice enough area, its pretty much a residential area a short distance from the town which has its good and not so good sides to it. Nothing too bad imo though. There are newer estates like Beechville etc. as well as older estates like Liam Mellows. You could probably also find one off houses in the area or a bit further away.

If you want to pick out houses on Daft in the area, I (and presumably others) could give you an opinion on that specific area. I think you can search nearby to a specific address in the advanced settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Us Wexford folk are more used to dealing with Dubs than the Waterford folk are,so your missus will settle in quicker in Wexford.:)

Lots of places to choose from in the Clonard area and Wexford town isn't too big to be overwhelming and has a local link bus.The town also has all the major stores so shopping shouldn't be a problem.Check out google maps to get a feel for the area virtually.A drive to Dublin from Wexford town is only about 90 minutes now depending on traffic.

Advertisement