Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice for novice on gloves please

Options
  • 18-02-2010 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

just wondering what thickness most people would recommend for gloves?

I bought 5mm boots today. one guy replying to my booties advice post likes 1.5mm for gloves. I'd been thinking 3mm, but would just like to hear what some of you reckon too.

also, if size is measured in terms of wrist-to-fingertips length, then my hands are maybe slightly larger than average. but I'm quite skinny so my fingers ain't chunky. I'm just wondering if this might mean I should be goig for a size small?

again, any advice and opinions much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

just wondering what thickness most people would recommend for gloves?

I bought 5mm boots today. one guy replying to my booties advice post likes 1.5mm for gloves. I'd been thinking 3mm, but would just like to hear what some of you reckon too.

also, if size is measured in terms of wrist-to-fingertips length, then my hands are maybe slightly larger than average. but I'm quite skinny so my fingers ain't chunky. I'm just wondering if this might mean I should be goig for a size small?

again, any advice and opinions much appreciated.
    My current gloves are 1mm and they are only ok but I find the 3mm one to chunky, it's up to you. Make sure you get ones that a just about fit to big and they swell with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

I got a pair of Gul 3mm and used them last weekend, they were fine - kept the hands reasonably warm and weren't too chunky.

My mate got a pair of webbed gloves, think they were 1.5mm - he said they were great for paddling but useless against the cold

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Dont use gloves. My skinny hands cope just fine.

Try a few sessions without. Your hands might get used to the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Would agree with the posting above. If you have got this far through the winter without them, then keep going.

Make surf you keep getting blood to your hands especially the fingers. Play imaginary piano, drum your fingers on your board, make tight fists, whatever suits you. That will help keep the circulation going out to them and keep the worst of the cold away. Many others put them under the armpits when sitting up waiting between sets. Each to their own

Tried gloves for one session over Christmas having not worn them for past few winters, and they had to come off after 20 mins. they affected my stroke too much, hated not feeling the board on pop up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

agree with the others as to not wearing them. The feel like lead blocks on the ends of your arms after a while..........

If I had to I'd wear the 1.5mm. Purely for weight reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 donga_perkins

Put Vaseline on your hands, keeps em nice and toasty. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

I dunno, If you wear gloves all winter you eventually get used to them. Come spring/summer when you take them off you'll have he-man paddle strength.

More concerned about decent booties though. No biggie if your hands go numb but if you can't feel your feet there's no point in staying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

thanks for this chaps. most helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

My hands are not small so I went for a medium size and they were an ok fit but I knew no better. One day I left my gloves at home and borrowed a spare small size off a mate. Way better fit in the water, much easier to paddle due to less weight, and much warmer. Go small.

Advertisement