Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing weight when im ment to be gaining it?

• 18-02-2010 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.
    Im currently in Oz at the moment, started training again 7 weeks ago after not training for 5 months. I began to look really skinny. Before I went away I was training 4 or 5 times a week and had myself up to about 73.5 KG, im 5'10 so I thought that was fairly ok. When I started training again a few weeks ago I was 67 KG. I weighed myself yesterday and Im down to 65 KG :confused:
    I look alot different to when I started, look alot more defined and muscular. And i definatly look alot more than I weigh.
    I want to get myself up to about 75 KG.

Heres my workout schedule.

I start and end every session with a good stretch. Im currently not doing any cardio.

Day 1 Chest and Triceps
    Dumbell Press
    Dumbell Flies
    Incline Dumbell Press
    Incline Dumbell Flies
    Close grip benchpress
    Tricep pull downs
    Tricep overhead extensions
    Tricep kickbacks
    Lying Triceps Extension (Skull Crushers)
    Ab routine (situps ect)
    Press ups

Day 2 Back and Shoulders
    Wide arm pull ups
    Barbell row
    Machine Row
    Front dumbell raises
    Lateral dumbell raises
    Arnold press
    Shrugs
    Ab Routines

Day 3 Legs , Biceps and forearms
    Squats
    45' Leg press
    Dumbell lunges
    Calf raises
    Hammercurl
    EZ Bar curls
    Reverse preacher bar curl
    Ab Routine.

I train 3 days a week (obviously :pac: ).
    Everyday when I get up I eat a bowl of porridge ,weetabixs or something egg based.
    Have a decent meal ( chicken breast or steak ) after the gym.
    Eat a decent dinner that evening ( different every evening but always has a decent amount of protein.
    Im also taking whey protein after my gym sessions.
    Anyone have any idea why Im losing weight instead of gaining?
    Should I take protein shakes every day including off days?
    Thanks
    Chris :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

No harm taking in a shake before bed each night mixed with milk for slow protein release.
    you should take a shake after a workout as you are doing and maybe just drink one with your evening meal aswell, or else start drinking some more milk. try getting 1-2L of full fat milk in per day for 3-4 weeks and see how that goes.
    also, if you really just wanna put on weight, make yourself eat more, even when you feel full, have another couple of forkfuls.

you should look at taking fish oil as well as a decent multivitamin.
    the workouts dont seem too bad to me except for three things that really stand out to me:

1. you dont have any deadlifting in there, therefore your lower back, glutes and hamstrings arent being hit as well as they could be. learn how to deadlift, start off light and progress from there.

2. you have no direct hamstring work - leg curls, romanian deadlifts, good mornings. you need to add 3 sets of 10 of one of these exercises to your leg or back day, maybe even both.

3. you dont describe reps or sets on chest day but it seems to me like you;re doing way too much chest work in one session. I would recommend dropping the DB flies both flat and incline as they are more of a chest definition exercise, and at your weight, you probably dont have a huge chest to define yet anyway so maybe do some Flat Barbell Benching (5 sets of 5 with 60% of your max) and then maybe Incline DB Pressing (3 sets of 8-12 reps)

To sum up:
    drink milk
    eat more
    focus on the compound lifts more
    train hard and with intensity

my 2 cents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Try and eat every 3 hours if you can, about 5 smallish meals.

Try to incorporate carbs, protein and fats into every meal about a 40/30/30 split for each meal.

Once you stick to this routine your appetite will adjust and you will start to be hungry every 3 hours or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

chrismon wrote: »

Anyone have any idea why Im losing weight instead of gaining?

If could be simply that you've added more fat to your body.
    You were 6kg lighter, but maybe you lost 8 kg of muscle and fat increased by 2kg.

So after a long break from training you've lost some of that extra fat in the first weeks in the gym,.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Cheers for the speedy replies guys.
    Ill definatly look into the deadlifts, iv never done them before so should be fun :)
    Yeah ill definaly drink more milk, iv had people tell me to drink the low fat milk though?
    I want to get bigger but also want to keep defined too.

Sorry guys forgot to put down what sets I do.
    I generally do 3-4 sets.
    First set of 10 reps on a medium weight.
    Second set of 8 reps on a medium to heavy weight.
    Third set of 6 reps on a heavy weight.
    Last set to failure on max weight ( 1 - 2 reps ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

you might have a (the?) virus ?

see a doctor

• Advertisement

Barname wrote: »
    you might have a (the?) virus ?

see a doctor

Not very helpfull :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

Have you upped your calories significantly since you started the training 7 weeks ago?

Yeah iv upped my calerie intake.
    I think ill just have to try eat more than normal from now on.
    Do you think the number of reps to sets is ok for what I want to do?

Advertisement