Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a tack shop

• 18-02-2010 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

can anyone recommend a tack shop that does good prices on saddles. it does'nt have to be the best of gear its just for a beginner. preferably one with an online store so i can have a look before i go down.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

steob16 wrote: »
    can anyone recommend a tack shop that does good prices on saddles. it does'nt have to be the best of gear its just for a beginner. preferably one with an online store so i can have a look before i go down.
    thanks

What area are you in? Someone might know one close to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

I'd suggest that the saddle is the one area that you don't scrimp on as a cheap (and thus often poorly fitting) saddle can do a lot of damage to a horses back. Consider looking at second hand saddles as you can often get bargins, plus the added advantage that they will be broken in.

It's probably best to go somewhere close to you so that you can have the saddle fitted by someone experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 steob16

shanagarry wrote: »
    I'd suggest that the saddle is the one area that you don't scrimp on as a cheap (and thus often poorly fitting) saddle can do a lot of damage to a horses back. Consider looking at second hand saddles as you can often get bargins, plus the added advantage that they will be broken in.

It's probably best to go somewhere close to you so that you can have the saddle fitted by someone experienced.

im not looking to scrimp really its just tack shop i went to did'nt have a saddle for under €900 and im not spending that on one for a beginner. i am in south dublin by the way so if anyone knows a shop they could recommend that would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

No worries, it would have to be a pretty special saddle for me to part with that kind of money too!

Off the top of my head, places with websites include Holmestead, Equestrian World in Maynooth, Equestrian Direct. They should all have a selection of second hand saddles instore.

Berneys do lovely saddles, but I don't know if they sell secondhand saddles themselves as I've never actually been to them directly (but have had a fab second hand Berney for about 18 years!). Anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Berneys do lovely saddles, but I don't know if they sell secondhand saddles themselves as I've never actually been to them directly (but have had a fab second hand Berney for about 18 years!). Anyone know?

Yep, Berneys sell second hand saddles - they sometimes do trade ins, so would often have a second hand saddle in stock. We bought one from them a few years ago. That said, it might be advisable to give them a call and see what they have in stock, just so you don't make a futile trip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

Goodwins in Mulhuddart are very good and they will come out and fit the saddle for you. I think they can supply second hand saddles too plus do repairs restuffing etc. I've always found them to be very good and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

Berneys do second hand saddles - both their own and some of other brands too. Like someone else said its worth ringing to see what they have in stock before travelling up to them. Holmestead also always have a range of second hand sadddles in store so they are worth a look too.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Tanzanite

premier saddlery in enfield have a good choice of new and second hand saddles

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I have a Berneys and wouldn't ride in anything else, even got it done up as it must be 30 yrs old. (The saddle was almost perfect, but girth tabs were getting worn)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

No worries, it would have to be a pretty special saddle for me to part with that kind of money too!

Off the top of my head, places with websites include Holmestead, Equestrian World in Maynooth, Equestrian Direct. They should all have a selection of second hand saddles instore.

WARNING - rant mode on.......
    I hope you didn't go to the third named business listed here. I went to their website and ordered a good few gifts for my daughter for her birthday. I though i was doing well ordering them 3 weeks before i needed them but as of today they hadn't arrived so i rang them. They told me "oops sorry, we were meant to ring you a few weeks ago and tell you ALL the items i ordered are out of stock and aren't getting them in anytime soon" Thats nice to hear when her birthday is this saturday which leaves me rightly in a mess. Am not impressed at all. i need other equine equipment and it'll be the last place i'll look for anyhting.
    Breath out - RANT mode off!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement