Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying GTX 275 for XPS 630i.

Options
  • 18-02-2010 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just a quick question about upgrading graphics cards.
    My current setup is:

XPS 630i
    Q6600 (@2.4GHz) currently OC'ed to 3.0GHz
    Dual 9800gt in SLI
    4GB Dual Channel DDR2 800MHz [4x1024MB]
    640 GB harddrive (7200) + 250GB (7200)
    Vista 64bit

I'm interested in possibly purchasing a Nvidia GTX 275. It's been recommended it to me, partly due to my lack of will to upgrading the PSU/mobo on the XPS630i. Which is 750W (stock) I believe. Planning on keeping one of my 9800GT as a dedicated PhysX card. Any suggestions? Sound like a good idea?

Anyone know a good place to go to get one of these? Pixmania have one for €200 while amazon have it for £250. Anyone got a good list of places to look at? Does the manufacturer really matter that much (Palit etc)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭jbloggs

I recently bought the Zotac GTX275 from cclonline, but I see they are out of stock...

The manufacturer can matter as regards warranty etc..., I bought the Zotac because of this very thing, not really keen on Palit but BFG, EVGA, Zotac are decent...

The Sparkle is on offer Here for £189.99 (plud del)

If you can find it the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 275 Super Overclock 1792MB is considered to be good.

However, if I was spending £200+ I would buy an ATI HD 5850...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Conorkc

I have one of these in my setup, a EVGA GTX275 infact serious bang or your buck! I can recomend it very strongly. I bought mine from komplett.ie at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I have the GTX280(Don't think there is much difference from the GTX275) and it handles everything I throw at it. I've no idea about using the 9800GT as a dedicated PhysX card. Sounds interesting though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I've no idea about using the 9800GT as a dedicated PhysX card. Sounds interesting though

Oh you can deffo do it. And because the 9800GT is such a solid card, it should be able to handle the PhysX no plroblem. My only concern is the power supply. It's 750W and I believe they recommend a 630W min. Not sure if it will be able to handle the GTX 275 AND a 9800GT.
    I was this close to buying a GTX 285 in Peats today but I realised I would get it much cheaper online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Its more the Amperage on the Dell PSU that would have me worried than the overall wattage.Some 9800's have no power connectors either.

@OP : Is your PSU one of the FSP units ? Some of them are fairly decent

I'd go with the ''Twin Frozr OC'' edition from MSI if you can find it.If not,Komplett sell the ''SSC'' EVGA GTX275,it's out of stock at the moment.

Look into the 4890 from ATi aswell

• Advertisement

Deano12345 wrote: »
    @OP : Is your PSU one of the FSP units ? Some of them are fairly decent

I'd go with the ''Twin Frozr OC'' edition from MSI if you can find it.If not,Komplett sell the ''SSC'' EVGA GTX275,it's out of stock at the moment.
    Not too sure about the PSU really, as I don't know too much about it. Kinda my weak point.
    Found this one on Komplett.ie but I can't seem to be able to buy it, and it isn't telling me when it will be back in stock.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=449598

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

If you can get a pic of it,I can tell you about the PSU.They dont seem to stock that model anymore and thats why its not for sale.Go for the EVGA one :)

Deano, you got a link for the one you recommend? The SSC EVGA one.

Advertisement