Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Mod Action

Options
  • 18-02-2010 3:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭

Yesterday evening i opened a thread in the 'Travel & Holidays' forum, http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055831392
    Basically it was about a USB Stick containing all Budget's client database being stolen and people's information compromised.

I posted it in the 'Travel & Holidays' thread as Budget Travel were a travel company selling holidays, and thought the story would be very interesting to some of the boardsies who frequent that forum.

It was closed almost immediately by Moderator MikeDragon32 with no explanation. I sent him a PM, had no reply so i reposted it, this time with an explanation of why i felt that it should be posted in the 'Travel & Holidays' forum.

This was deleted more or less straight away and in my original post the message left by this mod was 'it's a travel company's liquidator involved in a security breach. There is no travel aspect to your post. Try consumer affairs or the biz forum. Repost it here again and you will be banned'

When Budget Travel announced job cuts a thread was started in 'Holidays & Travel' by the exact same mod!!!

I would like to know why i was threatened with a ban in this case, i feel that it was an abuse of mod powers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

First thing you need to do is have another Mod of the travel forum review it.

If you are not happy with that decision, or are not happy with taking it to another moderator, take it to the Category Moderators and they will review it.

If you are still not happy with the decision, you can have an admin review the decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

You were threatened with a ban for reposting a thread that was locked, citing that you hadn't received a reply to your PM. Essentially challenging a Mod action, right or wrong. I don't have any time for fight the powa types. The right place to challenge is here and you've done that now. You could and should have awaited a response to your PM where I could have explained why it was locked.

The difference between my starting a thread about a holiday firm going into liquidation is that a number of people may have been considering booking at that time. As I've said, your thread is about a security breach. I had closed the thread while I considered the best place to put it, your reposting it gave me the inclination not to bother. Even in AH the mods close threads rather than move them.

Advertisement