Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The first of the EU's federal interference powers becomes clear after Lisbon...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

recedite wrote: »
    “It's an interesting proposal,” said Mr Lenihan
    This obviously means "I'd tell you where to go, but I need to keep borrowing your money"

I don't think it obviously means that. I think your obviously jumping to conclusions and putting words in his mouth.
    Countersurveillance
    What does this mean? I assume it does not mean killing their spies.

Probably that they would have to overlook the other countries same as we'd be overlooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

The council of EU finance ministers said Athens must comply with austerity demands by March 16 or lose control over its own tax and spend policies altogether. It if fails to do so, the EU will itself impose cuts under the draconian Article 126.9 of the Lisbon Treaty in what would amount to economic suzerainty.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/financialcrisis/7252288/Greece-loses-EU-voting-power-in-blow-to-sovereignty.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

The council of EU finance ministers said Athens must comply with austerity demands by March 16 or lose control over its own tax and spend policies altogether. It if fails to do so, the EU will itself impose cuts under the draconian Article 126.9 of the Lisbon Treaty in what would amount to economic suzerainty.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/financialcrisis/7252288/Greece-loses-EU-voting-power-in-blow-to-sovereignty.html

The rest of the club has told Greece what it must do to stay in the club. If Greece cannot meet the EU's conditions, it will have to meet the IMF's conditions, which will be harsher, but will not, for some reason, attract the hysterical warnings of Evans-Pritchard.

Beggars...they don't get to be choosers.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

the EU will itself impose cuts under the draconian Article 126.9 of the Lisbon Treaty in what would amount to economic suzerainty.
    That would indeed be draconian, but I suspect no such Article 126.9 exists. But as the Taoiseach himself said, nobody would actually read the full text.
    I can imagine the Greek P.M. feverishly thumbing through his Lisbon Treaty amendments now, trying to find out WTF is in 126.9, from the safety of his debugged countersurveillance offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

There is no legal basis in the EU Treaties for the other EU member states (or the "EU itself" whatever that means) to impose cuts upon Greece. Specifically Article 126.9 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU) does not contain such a measure.

PS The Lisbon Treaty, like most other EU Treaties, consisted of a series of edits to the two major pre-existing EU Treaties. Now that Lisbon is "in force", these edits have been applied to those pre-existing Treaties and they have been transformed from their post-Nice versions to the current post-Lisbon versions. Therefore, Lisbon is merely a historical footnote at this stage. What counts is the current versions of the EU Treaties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Article 126.9 Excessive Deficit Procedure
    9. If a Member State persists in failing to put into practice the recommendations of the Council, the Council may decide to give notice to the Member State to take, within a specified time limit, measures for the deficit reduction which is judged necessary by the Council in order to remedy the situation. In such a case, the Council may request the Member State concerned to submit reports in accordance with a specific timetable in order to examine the adjustment efforts of that Member State.

This, for comparison, is the equivalent Nice article 104.9:
    9. If a Member State persists in failing to put into practice the recommendations of the Council, the Council may decide to give notice to the Member State to take, within a specified time limit, measures for the deficit reduction which is judged necessary by the Council in order to remedy the situation. In such a case, the Council may request the Member State concerned to submit reports in accordance with a specific timetable in order to examine the adjustment efforts of that Member State.

Note the non-existent change in wording.

amused,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement