Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Projector Opinions?

• 18-02-2010 4:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭

In the market for a new projector, I will be using it 70% buisness ( spreadsheets,powerpoint and some video files) & 30% home use for movies. I would need it to have vga for my laptop and would want hdmi for blu-ray player.Budget is around €700 so maybe some along the lines of an Optoma HD65.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Id suggest the Optoma HD65......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

If you want blue ray and true HD Id go for a BenQ W1000 over the optomaHD65 is the following.

BenQ w1000 offers:

Full HD 1080
    3 year warranty (most important)
    New lamps only cost 110 pounds sterling
    Reviews say its the best available
    3000:1 contrast
    Works in ambient light
    only cost 750 euro if bought from one website in UK.
    2 x HDMI
    VGA
    Composite

Ive spent hours and hours researching this and this seems to be the machine for that money.

It might depend on the size of the relevant screen. On smaller screens, you're perhaps unlikely to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p.....

You probably have a choice of a reasonably sophisticated 720p unit or a basic 1080p machine.

E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭F.Galway

The BenQ W1000 does push the budget slightly! The projector does not necessarily have to be full HD but maybe in the long run it might be worth throwing a little more on a full hd projector.It will make for fantastic movie watching anyways...and presentations :P

What size screens do you think you'll be using?

E

• Advertisement

the BenQ has a special offer on a 2m x 1.5m screen. As for the not noticing the difference. Look the only way you'd know a good 720 over a good 1080 is to have em side by side which obviously never happens.. Also the thing about the Benq besides the warranty being 3 times better than most and the lamps only being 150 euro its the fact that most other projectors with less spec, less warranty and less function ironically cost more!!!

As I say Ive spent a lot of time researching this cause I originally wanted to spend around 400-500 euro, then found out the lamp for the unit cost 300 euro!! So with this I spend an extra 250 euro, go from 800x600 res up to Full HD and get a better warranty. I was shocked..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Where have you seen for BenQ, which site do you think you will ordering it from

www.projectorpoint.co.uk they have loads of projectors there, something for everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭F.Galway

exaisle wrote: »
    What size screens do you think you'll be using?

E

I haven't gone about searching for a screen yet I had only been using the wall for previous projector as I didn't really watch that many movies on it. The room itself its quite narrow for where I want to use it, about 12 ft. wide. So what are my options in regards to screen.For work use it will be in boardrooms etc.It wont be based in my own office so wont be needing screen for work just home use.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 chirodoody

I know its not ideal, but could you project onto a wall with this machine in the daytime (not a brightly lit wall however) and get a clear view from say 30ft?
    Just wondering because i have a presentation in a hall, but no screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

F.Galway wrote: »
    I haven't gone about searching for a screen yet I had only been using the wall for previous projector as I didn't really watch that many movies on it. The room itself its quite narrow for where I want to use it, about 12 ft. wide. So what are my options in regards to screen.For work use it will be in boardrooms etc.It wont be based in my own office so wont be needing screen for work just home use.

Well the best plan is to continue with the wall at least initially for the new projector till you can establish a comfortable screen size on wall, position, etc... I think if you are stepping up to home cinema projector, although you tell us its for business :rolleyes:, it will get a lot more use. :D

Depending on the colour of the wall it might be fine for your needs, however to improve projecting onto a wall you can: repaint, and add a border/frame (some 1x3, painted matt black or covered with black velvet) around the screen area which will make a huge difference. There are also DIY paint mixes which can be used rather than buying special screen paint or just using ordinary colours. The other option is to obviously buy a screen, and you should be able to establish the size needed, once you have the projector up and running for a bit, and are happy with the size on the wall for the room, and viewing distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

FusionNet wrote: »
    If you want blue ray and true HD Id go for a BenQ W1000 over the optomaHD65 is the following.

BenQ w1000 offers:

Full HD 1080
    3 year warranty (most important)
    New lamps only cost 110 pounds sterling
    Reviews say its the best available
    3000:1 contrast
    Works in ambient light
    only cost 750 euro if bought from one website in UK.
    2 x HDMI
    VGA
    Composite

Ive spent hours and hours researching this and this seems to be the machine for that money.

Stunning price. I think I might wait for the 3d ones.

Advertisement