Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rule Governing Youtube Comments?

Options
  • 18-02-2010 7:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Firstly, my apologies if this has been mentioned before.

I heard recently about a theory, that has become a rule, governing all youtube comments. The basic premise is that; within something like 20 comments, on any given video, the topic will degenerate into an argument over race or religion.

Has anyone else heard of this rule? I believe it to have an official name, but can't find it anywhere!

If i'm in the wrong forum I can only beg the forgiveness of more regular posters!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I heard recently about a theory,

I know just the place for such theories.......moved to CT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

XKCD had an interestin take on Youtube Comments:D:D:D

youtube.png
    listen_to_yourself.png

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's a special place in hell reserved for youtube commentators.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Its not even funny if they are real people......lol
    I sometimes look at those comments and laugh and other times i shake my head and wonder.
    It might be an inside joke by youtube employees?

There's a similar law called Godwin's law, if that's what you're looking for.

I'll move this on to AH, you might get a better answer there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

It could be true. I don't read YouTube comments generally because they're astoundingly detarded, but I remember watching "Give Up Your Aul Sins" about a year ago and scrolling down out of curiosity. The comments were a big flame war about religious indoctrination of schoolchildren.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I blame the black Jew. RETARD!!

As crap as the comments are, I've found some good tunes through them.. Just like 4chan, ya have to wade through alot of shit but you'll usually find something good eventually.

Since this isn't youtube and we have mods here to step in on stupid comments its easier

Rabies, banned for the above comment

Take a day or two off..
    You're usually such a great poster, what happened you?

Rabies wrote: »
    Rabies, banned for the above comment

Take a day or two off..
    You're usually such a great poster, what happened you?[/B]

Point taken.

Ok.

Bye :(

*grumble*

fvcking nazi mods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Hmmm, Rabies has been spending too much time online these days perhaps?

Rabies wrote: »
    Point taken.

Ok.

Bye :(

*grumble*

fvcking nazi mods

Split personality?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Come to think of it, its kinda like AH.

After about 3 comments on a thread it descends into witty sarchastic comments full of puns....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

There's technology blogger called "mememolly" on youtube who gets millions of hits per clip and her stuff never degenerate into an argument over race or religion!

Instead her comment threads generally degenerate into 1000's of comments by randy blokes describing what they'd like to do to her given half a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Trolling on YouTube is sooo much fun.:D
    All you have to do is mention the words black, Jew or Protestant and then wait for the replies.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Youtube would be so much better if they disabled the comment function. It hurts the eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Also of note is the amount of people who can't seem to figure out how to use 'show more comments' button and end up asking the exact same question that's been answered fifty times already. Comments on youtube make me die a little inside each time I read one :(

Although, there does seem to be an exception to this theory with videos of classical music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

bonerm wrote: »
    There's technology blogger called "mememolly" on youtube who gets millions of hits per clip and her stuff never degenerate into an argument over race or religion!

Instead her comment threads generally degenerate into 1000's of comments by randy blokes describing what they'd like to do to her given half a chance.

There is a good chance no one has commented on this post yet as any of the boards users who fit into the emboldend part( a rough estimate would be 3/4) have gone to youtube to check out mememolly and are now adding thousands more comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Alessandra wrote: »
    Youtube would be so much better if they disabled the comment function. It hurts the eyes.

Eh just don't read them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Apart from the stupidity, what's really shocking and makes you despair is the disgusting comments if the video is presented by an attractive woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Heh, I rarely ever read the comments but they can be pretty damn funny. It's just trolling, it's the reactions that crack me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

As crap as the comments are, I've found some good tunes through them.. Just like 4chan, ya have to wade through alot of shit but you'll usually find something good eventually.

true I have found some deadly tunes from going threw the comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

any irish video some scummer will mention how ireland is much b8tr than the engish....fck them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Heh, I rarely ever read the comments but they can be pretty damn funny. It's just trolling, it's the reactions that crack me up.

shut the f*uk up duggy747! what the f*ck do you know about it you idiot. Why dont you say it to my face!

only messing duggy :D. Once i corrected an american on a 9/11 video, he left a comment like
    "Hell yea, we killed Sadam for what we did!"
    to which i commented, "you mead osama?"
    Which resulted in me getting getting a nasty comment, on how wrong I was. was very funny. Such an idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

shut the f*uk up duggy747! what the f*ck do you know about it you idiot. Why dont you say it to my face!

only messing duggy :D. Once i corrected an american on a 9/11 video, he left a comment like
    "Hell yea, we killed Sadam for what we did!"
    to which i commented, "you mead osama?"
    Which resulted in me getting getting a nasty comment, on how wrong I was. was very funny. Such an idiot

Please tell me you're joking..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Word. People get way too hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

bonerm wrote: »

If she actually had some content in her videos people might comment on something other than her appearance. But she just talks about nothing for 3 minutes so she has an excuse to gaze into the camera and subtly flirt with her body language/expressions.

btw, her blog (which allows anonymous posting) is more troll infested than /b/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

baz2009 wrote: »
    Please tell me you're joking..

about 9/11? hell no! the amount of americans that think saddam was behind 9/11 is unreal! Also every second or third comment on a 9/11 video is about how the US government was behind it. Im telling you, those youtube posters must know something we dont, and beware if you try reasoning with them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I hate youtube posters, and i'm not contradicting myself because I tend to post on youtube, but I just hate the ignorant morons who post on youtube. The worst are the racist posters, because it just turns into a huge race row and filled with racist slurs and sh!t.

But you know, looking at most youtube videos, they do tend to turn into religous or political arguments somehow. Even videos which have nothing to do with the arguments are still filled with bickering.

Advertisement