Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sperm Mobility Problem

Options
  • 18-02-2010 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

We''ve been trying to concieve for 2 years and everything seems to be coming up good for me but we just got the results of my husbands sperm sample for the 2nd time that shows a problem with 'mobility', everything else is fine sperm count etc. Has anyone else had this result and what was the outcome? Is there anything we can do to improve the 'mobility'? We were told the usual about drinking, smoking, mobile phone, laptop, electric blanket etc. Is there anything my husband could take or a treatment he could do to improve this. The next step is for him to get a complete SA which costs close to €500. They have also mentioned IUI and IVF to us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi firiesclose

Sorry to hear about your husbands results and that you've been ttc 2 years
    We're ttc more the 6 years, now heading for IVF.
    We used to have a big problem with motility a+b (the fastest) was only 34-50% of total sperm in several tests but everything else was also fine and we went on to IUI (5 times) which unfortunately wasn't successful.
    However my husband did a radical lifestyle change no alcohol,no coffee, weight loss,healthy eating,supplements and daily excercise he now has high motility with 81% being a+b.
    He could take korean (panax) ginseng supplements 500 600mg dosage 3x a day which potentially could increase motility my husband takes this along with co enzyme Q10,1000mg vit C,omega 3 and wellman multivit.
    Also avoid hot showers,my husband gave up baths because of this.
    Expect a minimum of 3 months to see results as thats how long it takes to make new sperm that are mature.
    Depending on how bad his results will be in the next SA the doctors will know whether you should go to IUI OR straight to IVF but sure its worth a shot improving his results in preparation for those too to give the best chance.
    If his results aren't really bad they'll probably recommend up to 3 iui's as that can help the sperm get there as they get a 'lift' most of the way so more of them get to the egg and if you take fertility meds that would further increase the chances if you have multiple eggs in that cycle.
    Best of luck with the next SA and whatever your next step is.

Advertisement