Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog dragging bum

Options
  • 18-02-2010 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey, anybody got any ideas - I have 2 dogs, the male drags his bum along the ground a few times a day - any idea what this means? The second dog has started to do this now, is she just copying him or is there a real problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Could be 2 things:
    Worms or
    Anal glands that need to be emptied so its a trip to the vets for you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

Your dogs either have worms, or need their anal glands emptying.

What breed are they? Some breeds need their anal glands emptying more than others.

I'd say its more than likely worms though as the second dog probably caught them from the first dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

Yeah happened to us once.

It's usually because the dog isn't eating enough biscuits etc,and they are jst eating normal dog food.

I'd bring them to the vet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭littlelady

thanks for the replies, they are both westies and fed on Science Plan-nothing else and both recently wormed at the vets. I better bring them to the vets just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

More than likely their anal glands, small dogs seem to suffer more. See the vet and then try to bump up the fibre in their diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

More than likely anal glands but a vet will need to empty them as its not a pleasan experience at all, lol.
    Be prepared for a very stinky smell:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

Removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Sounds like definate anal gland issues - the vet can drain them easily for you. Certain breeds are more prone to anal gland problems than other breeds, just the luck of the draw. Anal glands usually drain themselves when the dog goes to the toilet, if their poo is not bulky enough there is not enough pressure to get the glands drained. If it is a a regular problem, perhaps try giving them more fibre (I usually give some Shredded Wheat) to bulk out their poo.

Be prepared for a nasty smell when they are drained!

sounds like thats the problem so, lovely :eek:
    Would it be unpleasant for them? Its just that I am due to bring them for vaccinations in 2/3 weeks, should I wait until then or go straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Lmao_Man wrote: »
    It's usually because the dog isn't eating enough biscuits etc,and they are jst eating normal dog food.
    :confused:

littlelady wrote: »
    Would it be unpleasant for them? Its just that I am due to bring them for vaccinations in 2/3 weeks, should I wait until then or go straight away?
    Id bring him straightaway its uncomfortable for them to be honest. Get the vet to show you what to do so you can do it yourself if it happens again.But be warned....the smell is vile!!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Stellaartois--Wrong forum to say you hate dogs in.
    Consider this a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

littlelady wrote: »

If the gland is impacted I'd assume it'll be extra smelly if it 'pops' at home so I'd take them to the vets.:eek::eek: It only takes two seconds for the vet to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I wouldn't wait until they're due their vaccs. Impacted anal glands can become infected or rupture. I have seen it happen and it's not pretty. It is uncomfortable for them and if they're at the point where they are dragging their bum then they are trying to relieve the discomfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Immediately to the vet, anal glands can be unpleasant for them. You will also need to mop/vacuum the affected areas, although I'm sure you know that! All the best.

thanks for the advice guys, will bring them this evening or tomorrow :D

you could prob get the vet to give them their boosers then anyway, save you another trip in two weeks!

you could prob get the vet to give them their boosers then anyway, save you another trip in two weeks!

Good thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

They should be emptying your dog's glands at your dog groomers. It's standard for most dog groomers to do it + not necessary to go to the vet. My friend is a groomer + told me this. Maybe your dog's groomers don't do it? Or perhaps ask them to...if they're properly trained they'll know what to do.

beauty101 wrote: »
    They should be emptying your dog's glands at your dog groomers. It's standard for most dog groomers to do it + not necessary to go to the vet. My friend is a groomer + told me this. Maybe your dog's groomers don't do it? Or perhaps ask them to...if they're properly trained they'll know what to do.

Not all groomers empty the glands, its more commonly done by vets, and if done incorrectly it can do a LOT of damage. Ive done two extensive grooming courses and both advised not to go near the glands.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Yeah, my dog had it, not enough fibre in her diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

andreac wrote: »
    Could be 2 things:
    Worms or
    Anal glands that need to be emptied so its a trip to the vets for you.:)
    Oh jayssus, am I sorry I opened this disgusting thread?

Not all groomers empty the glands, its more commonly done by vets, and if done incorrectly it can do a LOT of damage. Ive done two extensive grooming courses and both advised not to go near the glands.
    Oh, sweet jesus, yes, keep far away from the anal glands........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Irlandese wrote: »
    Oh jayssus, am I sorry I opened this disgusting thread?
    Then I suggest you don't open any further threads if this is your addition.
    Post helpful posts or not at all thank you.

I may report you to Fanny Craddock or PND for this........

star-pants wrote: »
    Then I suggest you don't open any further threads if this is your addition.
    Post helpful posts or not at all thank you.
    Well, my dog loved it when I started to laugh while responding.........
    Go on, smile and kiss the dog.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Irlandese wrote: »
    I may report you to Fanny Craddock or PND for this........

Irlandese what forum do you think you're in exactly? I've already issued you with a warning.
    on second thoughts - take a few weeks break

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Ive done two extensive grooming courses and both advised not to go near the glands.
    Seriously? Can I ask why? Genuinely interested btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

I would say it was anal glands too (is your dogs biting its back legs too?) Only you have two dogs dragging bums.
    So either it is worms or if both your dogs have anal gland issues you are feeding them really bad food so should think of changing it.

I'm interested to know too why groomers shouldn't do this? Any groomer I've gone too has had no problem doing it. You can also do this yourself just get the proper groomer or vet to show you how its done.

I brought them both to the vets, their anal glands were blocked. I feed them both science plan so it wasnt down to their diet apparently its quite commoon in smaller dogs, only took a couple of mins and they are both fine now thank god :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement