Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build Advice / processor (photoshop)

Options
  • 18-02-2010 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi All.

Great reading through all the threads here, some great advice and info, I'm hoping I could get your thoughts on a build I am undertaking. Its my first build, can't wait, I'm in the middle of doing a hell of a lot of research but the component choices to me are like being in a sweet-shop as a kid, I want everything!(but you just can't have it).

This isn't a gaming PC, so the most important function that it will do that I think will influence the design is using photoshop. From what I can tell, processor speed is very very important so I'm going to start the build from there (step 1). Aside from a kick-ass processor, I want to get the PC on the ground relatively cheaply but then could upgrade to improved graphics card/ increase ram in the future. (I have read numerous articles on the internet but many are not recent enough)

So processor choice. I'm thinking an Intel Corei5. got sse 4.2, performs well. I understand that up to the 6xx series the graphics is integrated in the chip, so Im thinking I want to avoid this and get my own graphics card or at least have the option of upgrading it later if needed. So the 7xx (i5-750S) looks to match that (plus 4 cores vs 2, but at a cost). I don't want to slow down everything for beaing a cheapskate after getting a decent processor but the budget is tight outside of essentials (€600/700).

So before going further, do any of you have experience with this kind of build? What would you recommend procesor wise? This is an important choice so I want to get it right. Any other thoughts would be great. My main requirements are a) fast processor b)fast graphics c) scalable d)possbily dual monitor (that can wait). Other peripherals aren't essential, can beg/borrow/steal as necessary for start up.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Can't really go wrong with an LGA1156 build.

Get a Core i5 750, a motherboard supporting USB 3.0, SATA 6Gbps (for upgradability), an SSD for your HDD if you can stretch, and a decent, but mid-range GFX card, with at least 4GB ram.

If you're using CS4 - the GFX card can accelerate a lot of rendering functions - don't don't look over this lightly. A HD5750 or so would be perfect.

HDD performance is essential for large photoshop files, so thats why I stuck down an SSD - will really help improve large file saves etc

4GB ram - well, PS can be a RAM hog, so 4GB would be my minimum here TBH.

You may need to factor in the cost of the OS also - so you may have to skimp on some area's of the build.

Here's a rough idea:

i5, 4GB, 1TB HDD (not SSD), motherboard with USB3 and SATA6gbps support, HD5670 gfx card
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=753698&su=9F73E330-DEC3-4DA2-A6F4-2E1717FF6343

€688.69 without monitor or OS (and I didn't include a DVD drive as they can be had for less than €20 anyway).

But that would give you at least an idea of the sort of build you could look at, and its fully upgradable, future proof as much as PC's can be, and powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Can't really go wrong with an LGA1156 build.

Get a Core i5 750, a motherboard supporting USB 3.0, SATA 6Gbps (for upgradability), an SSD for your HDD if you can stretch, and a decent, but mid-range GFX card, with at least 4GB ram.

If you're using CS4 - the GFX card can accelerate a lot of rendering functions - don't don't look over this lightly. A HD5750 or so would be perfect.

HDD performance is essential for large photoshop files, so thats why I stuck down an SSD - will really help improve large file saves etc

4GB ram - well, PS can be a RAM hog, so 4GB would be my minimum here TBH.

You may need to factor in the cost of the OS also - so you may have to skimp on some area's of the build.

Here's a rough idea:

i5, 4GB, 1TB HDD (not SSD), motherboard with USB3 and SATA6gbps support, HD5670 gfx card
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=753698&su=9F73E330-DEC3-4DA2-A6F4-2E1717FF6343

€688.69 without monitor or OS (and I didn't include a DVD drive as they can be had for less than €20 anyway).

But that would give you at least an idea of the sort of build you could look at, and its fully upgradable, future proof as much as PC's can be, and powerful.

Thanks very much Gunner. exactly the kind of info I wanted. the rough idea is a good guide at the price I mentioned, plus RAM could be increased, option of SSD (but prob will leave it out for now), loads to improve on later if needed, but the framework is there for a future proof pc as you said,
    much appreciated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

a small fast hd as a swap disk will pop up speed, processor imo isnt the most important, any mid range would do, ram is what you want loads of 8 gig to keep things super fast

Advertisement