Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensing and Courses

• 18-02-2010 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭

Dear all,

I was just browsing this forum and couldn't find the information I was looking for.

Perhaps you could contribute your knowledge and then make a sticky of the information when gathered.

What is the licensing scheme for boating and sailing?

For example: License A entitles you to man boat types from X to Y but not Z. Courses are offered by ABC club and cost €&& taking ££ days to perform.

This kind of information could be very useful for a beginner like me who would like to get into more water activities.

Thank all and I hope you can help me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Alkers

There is no licensing for boats unless you're taking fair-paying passengers as far as I'm aware. Obviously this doesn't apply to ships etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

No Licensing of leisure boats in Ireland. I would recommend getting some training by the ISA though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Thanks for your answers guys.
    I think I may have asked the wrong question though :o

I was trying to ask more about the licensing of the driver/sailor/captain.
    Like what qualifications are required to take which types of boats onto what types of waters?

Thanks again, maybe someone can shed some light.

I tried ISA's website, but must say found it quite puzzling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Another consideration is that if you wish to use a VHF radio on your boat, you have to achieve a certificate of competency, then register a ships radio license for any vessel on which you use the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Silver Breeze

enda1 wrote: »
    I was trying to ask more about the licensing of the driver/sailor/captain.
    Like what qualifications are required to take which types of boats onto what types of waters?

In Ireland and the UK there is NO required certification or licence for the owner/skipper/sailor of a leisure sail or power boat.

There are required licences and certificates for vessels, power or sail, which carry paying passengers.

In leisure sailing, there are very few "legal requirements."

--if a marine VHF radio is fitted to the boat, someone aboard must have a VHF short range operator's certificate. Issued by IRL Dept of Transport and GBR Marine and Coastguard Agency

The Lifejacket Law
    There must be suitable Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs) for everyone on board any boat.
    A suitable PFD must be worn in the following situations:
    --By anyone on board an open boat that is under 7 meters in length.
    --By anyone on deck on a boat that is under 7 meters length.
    --By anyone under the age of 16 on board an open boat or on deck of any other type of boat.
    --By anyone being towed in another boat or on any other device (skis, donuts etc.)
    --By anyone on a personal watercraft (jet ski)

Except when:
    --Tied up alongside or made fast to an anchor, marina, pier or mooring.
    --Immediately prior to, during and after swimming from a boat that is not moving through the water.
    --Putting on, wearing or taking off diving equipment on a boat that is not moving through the water.

A handy explanatory PFD brochure is here. (pdf file)

Age Restrictions
    You have to be 12 years or older before you can drive any boat with an engine over 5Hp (3.7 Kw).
    You have to be 16 years or older before you can drive a personal watercraft (jet ski) or a powerboat / motorboat that is capable of 17 knots or more.

Alcohol and Drugs
    While operating a pleasure craft, or being towed by or on board a vessel or object being towed by a pleasure craft, it is against the law to consume or be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

While on board a pleasure craft it is prohibited to consume alcohol or drugs in circumstances which:
    --Could affect the safety of others on board or others using Irish waters
    --Create a disturbance on board or be a nuisance to others using Irish waters.

The International Maritime Organization was established in 1948 through the United Nations to coordinate international maritime safety, pollution prevention and related practices. IMO has over the years drafted a number of Treaties which maritime nations, including Ireland, sign up to.

Rules and regulations contained in the treaties are enforced by Irish statute law.
    International Regulations for Prevention of Collision at Sea (IRPCS) also known as Col Regs
    Safety of Life at Sea Convention V (SOLAS V)
    Marpol (Marine Pollution)

All IRL vessels must met and obey the rules laid down in the above three conventions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I know this is somewhat old, but a bit of knowledge:

You can sit a powerboat course to license you to drive power boats. The course is a 2 day course which gives you "Powerboat Level 2" or your "National Powerboat License"

Once you have this license, you can apply to the ISA for your International Certificate of Competency or "ICC". This licenses you in most countries abroad to be in control of any vessel not exceeding 24 meters in length or 80 gross tons. If you complete the relevant courses for the sailing aspect, such as Yacht Masters etc, it will license you to be in control of those vessels, but I'm not sure of the length and wait limits for them. It also specifies costal waters only if you have only trained at see, or inland if you have only been on lakes etc. Your original certificates will specify this, and that is how they get the information for the ICC. It expires every 5 years and you just have to apply for a renewal, much like the car license. There is a fee for this, which I'm not sure of.

Also, in relation to what it doesn't license you for:
    You may not take persons on board for reward (ie charge for trips etc) unless you hold a commercial endorsement. This requires Powerboat level 3 "Advanced" (there are other level 3 courses such as safety boat, so if someone says they have level 3, it may not mean advanced)
    you must also hold a valid fist aid certificate, issued by an ISA recognised affiliation. (I knew a doctor who had to get one)
    you must hold a valid sea survival certificate.
    Your vessel, must have a passenger boat license, and there are different bands in which it can be recognised, which control how far out you can go etc.

In terms of the VHF training, the user must be qualified and the handset must be registered to a specific boat. There are a number of levels you can achieve. Module one qualifies you for VHF usage and about EPIRB's and SART's, there might be a bit more, the documents are filed away at the minute. Module 2 qualifies you for DSC and more about EPIRB's and SART's, Navtex along with few other things AFAIR. You can then go on to Module 3 and 4 which go in depth with UHF and other long range communication used on ships.

Most jurisdictions in Spain require yo to have an ICC, although Lanzarote won't let you rent power boats at all, bar the odd jet ski rental etc.

Just saw you asked about clubs and prices etc.
    www.powerboatschool.ie is a really great place to learn, known the guys in there for years and they have built it from the ground up, years of experience between them, I know plenty of people who swear by them.
    It's €315pp for a two day Level 2 course that qualifies you for life, the price drops considerably if you have one or two more people on the course. The maximum ratio is 1:3

the powerboat school also offer VHF courses, all the other powerboat courses such as safety boat, advanced, sports boat etc. They will sort out your ICC for you and have the appropriate courses available so you can be commercially endorsed. They'd also help you out getting the passenger license if needs be.

Your best bet, if you want to sort this out for yourself, is to have a look at the site, and give them a call if you want to do any courses. They have the answers to all the questions you asked and many more, or just ask again here and I'll help.

Let us know how you get/got on.

If I think of anything else I'll throw it in

Advertisement