Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

implementing a redirect

Options
  • 18-02-2010 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭

ok, hope this is in the right spot. looking for a little advice.

context;
    - have a domain (mydomain)
    - have set up a blog (photo blog) in mydomain/blog/
    - haven't anything in particular at the top level of mydomain but i'm fairly sure that having the /blog is best for the overall structure as the top level may be used for other purposes (albeit related) in the next year or so.
    - so that the top level (mydomain) doesn't give an "Access Forbidden" message I want to implement a redirect.

So basically when someone lands on mydomain I want them to be redirected to mydomain/blog/;

Now technically I know of three ways that I can achieve this;

- php generating a 302 response (rather than 301 which I believe signifies a permanent move). This works fine.

- I understand that the HTML http-equiv="REFRESH" redirects are still supported by major browsers but was reading that this is less preferred on the basis that it may be heading for obsolescence. However it does work fine.

- Javascripting. This works fine too, but meh, I dunno - javascript isn't something that I particularly want to pollute my site with. (my lack of knowledge rather than anything particularly wrong with the technology).

So in theory the result i'm looking for is the php generated 302 response. But I was reading also that google doesn't really like the 302 responses - due to site url hijacking etc.. (just what i've read rather than I understand exactly what its all about).

So my question to you kind people is;

What is the most appropriate way to do the redirect - any of the above, or something entirely different.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

1) Post a 301 permanent redirect - Google wont have any problem with that.

&

2) Register the site with Google Webmaster Tools & set your preferred landing page URL.

Would'nt it be easier just to redirect to blog page to the main index page?

Advertisement