Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasingly aggressive dogs

Options
  • 18-02-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for advice etc. on the below.

A few months ago I moved into a house in a cul-de-sac. Our next door neighbours have two terriers who bark at anything that moves. They are usually let out in the morning to roam the cul-de-sac for most of the day.

Recently they have become more and more aggressive. When I first moved in they would generally just stand around and bark at anyone who happened to be out and about. If I went to get something from the car they would stand at the driveway and bark incessantly but If I stamped my foot they would turn tail and run off. Now not so much.

Now they are standing their ground and follow people (while barking etc.) much closer then before. They have also started chasing cars and bikes in the cul-de-sac.

I feel it's just a matter of time before someone gets bitten (there are quite a few kids around the area), knocked off their bike or they get run over.

I am led to believe I won't get much joy through any interaction with their owners so am wondering what the best course of action is in getting the owners to keep them in their garden.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

Right have a 1 weekban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Have you checked his anal glands?

Nope, but now that you mention it I do recall one of them dragging his ass across pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Have you checked his anal glands?

its not his dog. I'd talk to the owner first, ask that something be done so that other channels don't have to be used. I that doesn't work report the owner to the ispca as he should have his dogs under his control at all times

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

pjgardiner wrote: »
    Nope, but if it's something you've an interest in doing I can pm you the address.

Please dont encourage the trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please call the dog warden in your area, these dogs are a menace and will end up biting someone, a child or person. So if you call the dog warden and explain that there are 2 aggressive dogs roaming in the area, they will sort it for you.

• Advertisement

Thanks, it seems as though calling the warden is the way to go but am just a bit concerned as to what action will be taken by the warden. Will the dogs be put down? Will the owners get a 2nd chance to keep the dogs under their control?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes they will get a chance, you can inform the warden where the dogs live so the warden should call into the owners. Might be a wake up call to them anyway and its not responsible to have dogs wandering like that.

Do you know the people that own them? what are they like?

I would report dogs to warden and say they are very aggressive to both people and dogs and they should be out very quick to sort it.

Would more then likely be told to f-off by the owners and mind my own business. Don't seem to be the type of people to take kindly to 'meddling'. Will give the warden a call so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 1nk3d4L1f3

Hi, i had a similar issue. But instead of being aggressive towards them. I threw cold water over them to calm them down. It worked for me. But otherwise i'd approach the owner's and if that doesn't work. Call the Dog Warden. http://www.dublincity.ie/Community/AnimalWelfare/Pages/DogControl.aspx

While the water may work for an individual I still reckon they'll continue to be aggressive to everyone else around. Have started carrying a bottle with me on the bike for the next time they try it.

As for contacting the neighbours I doubt very much I'll get a positive response and it would only make things worse if I was then to contact the warden. I doubt they would take to kindly to someone reporting them.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Please dont encourage the trolls.

My bad, sorry.

Advertisement