Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thumbs up for baby showers!

Options
  • 18-02-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭

I went to my first Baby Shower a few years ago (it was held by an American lady). At first I was very cynical about the whole concept.

However, after seeing how they work I really am a fan of them.

They are great for bonding and enjoying being with your friends before the birth of baby. Plus you get lots of practical presents that you will actually use.

Anyone else have any thoughts about Baby Showers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

tbh, I don't have enough female friends to have a baby shower :(
    Also I am not quite clear who is organising things like that as all of my experience from them is from tv and movies. Is it a pregnant girl herself who organises it or her friends?

I think it can be great in principle as long as it is actually focused on the woman and not the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

ebmma wrote: »
    tbh, I don't have enough female friends to have a baby shower :(
    Also I am not quite clear who is organising things like that as all of my experience from them is from tv and movies. Is it a pregnant girl herself who organises it or her friends?

I think it can be great in principle as long as it is actually focused on the woman and not the baby.

Can be organised by a close friend, a sister or the lady herself!

Good point about it being about the mammy and not the baby.

Great for a first child (new mammy can get lots of advice!)....don't know about a second child?????

I'm reading 'Birthing from within' by Pam England (recommended by midwife in the hospital) and she talks about how a lot of different cultures have initiation rituals for woman becoming a mother. And that baby shower is kind of a twisted remnant of that. It's an interesting read :)

I know a couple of girls from India and apparently there's a party for the expectant mother when she's 3, 5, 7 and 9 months pregnant where she gets pampered and given presents and stuff like that. Almost made me wish I was in India :D

I'd say it is still good for subsequent children, maybe kind of like 'we still love you and we are here to help' sort of gathering of friends :)
    I'm not certain, but with the 1st baby there's all this hype and with subsequent ones a woman can feel like no one cares or something...I'm purely speculating here, expecting my 1st in a week and a half :D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

I think these are great - you can make them as elaborate or as low-key as you want and they're definitely not just a movie thing!

Not only are they are great opportunity to celebrate with a group of women, it's a great chance to share pregnancy/parenting stories and tips, receive/swap second-hand items, receive new gifts, or what we tend to do in our family is all pitch in cash to contribute to the cost of one big item (eg car seat, pram, cot etc). You can also bring along practical things like baby wipes etc which the mum-to-be will be very grateful for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

ebmma wrote: »

...I'm purely speculating here, expecting my 1st in a week and a half :D

Exciting! Good luck!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

had a shower for my first, my friend 'organised' it - as in sent out the invites and stuff but i did the rest as it was in my house. had a lovely day with the girlies and got lots of things i needed. wish i had had the energy to organise another 1 on my second, but no such luck.

Exciting! Good luck!!!!

thanks! :D
    I think I'm having a mini-baby shower every time my sister in law comes over - I think she loves giving people stuff :D
    I haven't bought a single babygro.

Advertisement