Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cached web pages on some servers

Options
  • 18-02-2010 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,
    Just checking if anyone knows why a webpage would be cached on some servers and not on others. I have an issue where my site is showing old info for some people when they visit my homepage, but is fine for others. My web designer tells me there's nothing he can do about it, but i have my doubts. Would love any thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Typically your site should provide a cache expiration policy.

This can be set by the web server(s) or the web-pages / content manager.
    So what is convenient for your web designer depends on how the site is hosted on the internet.

Often the site can be set to have different policies for different content, e.g. gifs and jpegs are slow to expire.

If you want to test yourself for your site, you can download a plugin like firebug on the Mozilla Firefox browser. This can allow you to view the response headers sent by the site for the page.

E.g. for getting www.boards.ie you see the header...
    Response Headers
    Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 14:21:52 GMT
    Server Apache/2.2.13 (FreeBSD) mod_ssl/2.2.13 OpenSSL/0.9.7e-p1 DAV/2 PHP/5.2.11 with Suhosin-Patch
    X-Powered-By PHP/5.2.11
    Cache-Control private
    Pragma private
    x-ua-compatible IE=7
    Content-Encoding gzip
    Vary Accept-Encoding
    Keep-Alive timeout=5, max=100
    Connection Keep-Alive
    Transfer-Encoding chunked
    Content-Type text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

Where the cache-control settings are explained
    http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.9.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DerekG

Thanks ressem,

I'm looking into this now and will follow up with my developer.

Much appreciated.

Advertisement