Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another shocking example of double standards........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Absolutely ridiculous decision

Where do we draw the line now? Should United be fined by UEFA for playing Rafa Da Silva instead of Wes Brown at RB against Milan? Do the FA now get to decide what a manager's best team is? Should we be fined if we play Anderson instead of Fletcher in a game? Do the FA get to decide on players' fitness or match-readiness too? Hargreaves is apparently physically fit now, but psychologically a bit reluctant to come back just yet. We gonna be fined for this?

Anyone got a link to the FA's statement/decision? Because on the face of it this just looks moronic beyond belief, so I'm hoping there's some other reason for it, like Mick McCarthy was spotted in a bookies before the game or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

SantryRed wrote: »
    Why should they have been fined in the first place? That's like saying if I was charged with assault even though I was no where near where this assault took place, and I was given a suspended sentence, I should just leave it be?
    okay I assume this is the game you are talking about. When Liverpool had a champions league final ahead of them. So this would be a different situation.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/6602879.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I gotta agree, it's a terrible decision. Managers pick their team, not the FA.

With regards to the Wolves / Liverpool debate, maybe the FA decided that there's a difference between fielding a lesser team 'cos you think you're not going to win anyhow and fielding a lesser team because it doesn't matter if you win or lose ( or you think your lesser players should still be good enough ). Maybe the FA think doing it in the middle of a season is different to at the end of a season ( when several teams who have nothing to play for give lesser players experience ). Maybe the FA find it easier to pick on smaller clubs? Who knows, for whatever the reason it's a stupid decision by them.

And to be honest, it's an even more stupid decision considering how toothless it is. A suspended fine? What exactly does that mean? If Wolves get in trouble again *then* they'll be fined? If the FA consider what Wolves did to be so wrong that it deserves to be punished, a suspended fine of a few thousand is hardly getting clubs quaking in their boots.

All in all, while some consistency would be nice ( the same for all clubs / all competitions ) when it comes down to it the FA shouldn't get involved in what players a manager picks. Do they have some rule that they're saying Wolves broke, or are they just making it up as they go along?

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ill talk about Liverpool till the cows come home but not on this thread. You want to set up a general thread on the issue and I have no problem with it at all.

This IS a general thread on this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

okay I assume this is the game you are talking about. When Liverpool had a champions league final ahead of them. So this would be a different situation.

So you promote the double standards? A relgation six pointer for Wolves is as big as a Champions League final for Liverpool isn't it?

Here's the link to the statement : http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~1969436,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Dave! wrote: »
    Absolutely ridiculous decision

Where do we draw the line now? Should United be fined by UEFA for playing Rafa Da Silva instead of Wes Brown at RB against Milan? Do the FA now get to decide what a manager's best team is? Should we be fined if we play Anderson instead of Fletcher in a game? Do the FA get to decide on players' fitness or match-readiness too? Hargreaves is apparently physically fit now, but psychologically a bit reluctant to come back just yet. We gonna be fined for this?

Anyone got a link to the FA's statement/decision? Because on the face of it this just looks moronic beyond belief, so I'm hoping there's some other reason for it, like Mick McCarthy was spotted in a bookies before the game or something
    http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/News/0,,10307~1969355,00.html
    http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~1969436,00.html
    A bit more information.....
    Apparently its a warning to clubs not to field under strength teams in future.

So you promote the double standards? A relgation six pointer for Wolves is as big as a Champions League final for Liverpool isn't it?

Here's the link to the statement : http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~1969436,00.html
    liverpool were playing in champions league final. Did Wolves have any big games on that week. I assume FA took into account that Liverpool were playing. And if Liverpool had beaten Milan it would have improved the top fours co-efficiency ratings.
    For the record this is the team liverpool put out. Hardly a weak team to be fair.
    Reina, Arbeloa, Paletta, Hyypia, Insua (Finnan 75), Pennant (El Zhar 65), Alonso, Sissoko, Gonzalez (Kewell 77), Fowler, Bellamy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

liverpool were playing in champions league final. Did Wolves have any big games on that week. I assume FA took into account that Liverpool were playing. And if Liverpool had beaten Milan it would have improved the top fours co-efficiency ratings.
    For the record this is the team liverpool put out. Hardly a weak team to be fair.
    Reina, Arbeloa, Paletta, Hyypia, Insua (Finnan 75), Pennant (El Zhar 65), Alonso, Sissoko, Gonzalez (Kewell 77), Fowler, Bellamy.

So You do promote the double standards?

Yes Wolves had a big six pointer at home to Wolves on that Sunday. Liverpool's Champions League Final wasn't for another 10 days after their game against Fulham. Stop trying to defend your club and take a pop at Wolves. It's one or the other.

To be fair-the reasons for putting out a double strength side are completely irrelevent in the eyes of the rule book.
    What Liverpool and United and others routinely do, especially in the latter stages of the season are no different to what Wolves did at United but they've not had any fines or decisions made against them as a result.

• Advertisement

So You do promote the double standards?

Yes Wolves had a big six pointer at home to Wolves on that Sunday. .
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

A CL Final 18 days away, and it was 7 days til their next league game. Wolves had a massive game vs Burnley in their following game.

In Liverpools next game, against Charlton at home, they played a stronger side, with just 10 days to go.

If you use the excuse of the CL final making it acceptable for Liverpool to play a weakened side vs Fulham, how do you excuse or explain playing a strong side vs Charlton?

Personally, I think teams should be able to field whoever they want, they pay all of these players to do exactly that. Also, as long as the team put out is capable of competing or winning the game, I really don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yes Wolves had a big six pointer at home to Wolves on that Sunday

Was one of them a weakened team :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Are you for real? Of course Liverpool's second string team is going to look better on paper than Wolves'. Liverpool are a massive club who spent a massive amount of money assembling their squad.

It doesn't change the fact (to quote a certain manager) that both Liverpool and Wolves decided one game was more important than another and dropped the vast majority of their first team when playing the less important game.

Liverpool (and other top clubs who have done similar) were not reprimanded, yet Wolves were.

It's a double standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

:confused:
    Simple logic tells me he meant to say Burnley.

A CL Final 18 days away, and it was 7 days til their next league game. Wolves had a massive game vs Burnley in their following game.

In Liverpools next game, against Charlton at home, they played a stronger side, with just 10 days to go.

If you use the excuse of the CL final making it acceptable for Liverpool to play a weakened side vs Fulham, how do you excuse or explain playing a strong side vs Charlton?

Personally, I think teams should be able to field whoever they want, they pay all of these players to do exactly that. Also, as long as the team put out is capable of competing or winning the game, I really don't care.
    okay Mitch you saw that United Wolves game. Did Wolves look at any stage like they were going to get a result?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

So fining Wolves is a joke but Liverpool doing it and nothing happening a couple of years back is wrong?

Double standards left right and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

okay Mitch you saw that United Wolves game. Did Wolves look at any stage like they were going to get a result?

red herring

Makes absolutely no difference. It is irrelevent. If there is a law saying you must field your strongest team then that should apply to the big teams too. Even though the big teams have a good chance of winning with a second string team. You're digging a hole.

CHD wrote: »
    So fining Wolves is a joke but Liverpool doing it and nothing happening a couple of years back is wrong?

Come on CHD. Dont tell me Chelsea wouldn't have done the same thing. Try and be fair here for once.

They did actually, yeah. They did far better that time than their 'full strength' side did vs United's second string in the Carling Cup.

Also, i'm not the one saying Wolves got what they deserved, I think it is a poor decision from the FA and it shouldn't have happened.

Liverpool played players they pay to be available and to play, vs Fulham.
    United played players they pay to be available and to play, vs Hull
    Wolves played players they pay to be available and to play, vs United.

United did similar vs West Ham on the last day of the season in 07/08. United lost the game and West Ham stayed up. People criticised United for it, I defended the club saying they should be allowed to pick from everyone they employ, and that on the balance of play United were by far the better side and the goal came from a poor piece of goal keeping from van der Sar, our first choice keeper.

• Advertisement

Come on CHD. Dont tell me Chelsea wouldn't have done the same thing. Try and be fair here for once.

of course they would and they should be entitled to do so unless the PL want to heavily get invovled in team selection.

Thats completely irrelevent.
    Nice to see you defending your team and I had said initially that was what I had expected but if its wrong for Wolves to do it, its wrong for any team to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Stupid decision but I don't think it's a ploy to get at the smaller teams. There are also plenty of cases where the bigger teams get treated more harshly due to their high profile.
    The fact that Mick admitted to fielding a weaker team is probably the crux of the issue. Generally managers will say that they are resting players rather than openly admitting that the are sending out a weaker team.

Either way, it's very arbitrary to deicide what is and what isn't a weakened side but a manager will certainly force the FA's hand by making the decision for them.

£25K is nothing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

I can see why people are irked at this fine but I'm glad Wolves got fined - should have been more. I have never seen such a blatant, disgusting throwing of a game.

Comparisons to the top 4 clubs are silly. The top 4 teams regularly rotate their squads because they are often competing in multiple competitions over a short period of time.

Its not double standards, it is linked. If Liverpool, and United for example, were fined for doing the same as Wolves did (and United have done it in the league on at least 3 occasions i can remember - West Ham, Chelsea and Hull) then the Wolves fine would not be a joke.

They were, however, not fined. Only Wolves have been fined, for doing something bigger clubs have got away with.

As I have said, I don't think any side should be fined for it unless it is proven there is an element of match fixing, but it is still a poor decision to see Wolves fined while others have not been. That IS a double standard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

They would but Chelsea' second string is top notch and prob would have won :)

Double standards are coming from everyone here. Wolves are delighted with this I'd say. Nothing happens, it worked for them and clubs in the future can't do this like the way Liverpool did a couple years back without thinking they can be punished.

This is perfect for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

means nothing.

i've seen two 'full strength' teams playing against each other where one team never looks like getting a result.

at the end of the day, managers should be able to do what they want with their squads. it's not for anyone else to decide who their strongest side is on any given day.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Stupid decision but I don't think it's a ploy to get at the smaller teams. There are also plenty of cases where the bigger teams get treated more harshly due to their high profile.
    The fact that Mick admitted to fielding a weaker team is probably the crux of the issue. Generally managers will say that they are resting players rather than openly admitting that the are sending out a weaker team.

Either way, it's very arbitrary to deicide what is and what isn't a weakened side but a manager will certainly force the FA's hand by making the decision for them.

£25K is nothing though.
    Dont get me started on the size of fines for rule breaking............

However, I do have to ask myself why are wolves singled out for this? Because McCarthy said thats what he was doing seems to be the only difference here and in other cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Absolutely absurd. Absurd.

Ardent wrote: »
    I can see why people are irked at this fine but I'm glad Wolves got fined - should have been more. I have never seen such a blatant, disgusting throwing of a game.

Comparisons to the top 4 clubs are silly. The top 4 teams regularly rotate their squads because they are often competing in multiple competitions over a short period of time.

Again, in the eyes of the rule book this isnt an excuse for fielding an weakened side.
    The fact is their best players are fit.....they should play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think people are losing sight of the most important thing about Liverpool and Fulham - it helped to see Neil Warnock relegated. Benitez should be given a medal for his part on getting that sour faced twunt out of the top flight.

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/57496,sport,football,mccarthy-feeds-wolves-to-manchester-utd
    Manchester United 3 Wolves 0. There was nothing remotely ferocious about Wolves as boss Mick McCarthy handed Manchester United an easy win in what was Alex Ferguson's 900th league game in charge of the Reds.

After Saturday's impressive 1-0 defeat of Spurs at White Hart Lane, Wolves turned up at Old Trafford with a second string team, boasting just 41 Premier League appearances between them this season as McCarthy rested key players ahead of Sunday's clash with Burnley. Only goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann had played in the Spurs victory and it showed as United cruised to a comfortable win with goals from Wayne Rooney, Nemanja Vidic and Antonio Valencia.

McCarthy's team selection didn't go down well with the Wolves' faithful who had made the journey to Manchester on a bitter December night. Chants of "We want our money back" rang out from the away fans' section, but the manager was unrepentant.

"I played the best team available to me," explained McCarthy. "The fittest, best and strongest I could pick, that hadn't played on Saturday... I can understand the fans but that is my first team. I've got 21 players to pick from and they are all first-team players. I hope fans understand that. My decisions will be judged on whether we stay in the Premier League."

For the first half an hour Wolves' rookies kept United at bay but then Ronald Zubar handled in the penalty area and Rooney fired home from the penalty spot – his 12th league goal of the season. Shortly before the interval Vidic extended the hosts' lead with a header from a Darron Gibson corner.

Valencia made it 3-0 in the second half with a half-volley after Dimitar Berbatov and Paul Scholes had combined to create the chance. The victory moves United level on points with Chelsea (who host Portsmouth tonight) and Ferguson sympathised afterwards with McCarthy's predicament: "It wasn't surprising [Wolves fielded a weakened team], given that they have Burnley on Sunday... Wolves put up a good show considering it was mostly their second string out."

It's within the powers of the Premier League to punish Wolves for their team selection as the rules state that clubs shall field a full-strength team for every match, although the league told BBC Radio 5 live it was "unlikely they would launch any investigation

Some key points here. Fergie quotes IMO were self serving and two the Wolves fans themselves weren't happy about it.

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/57496,sport,football,mccarthy-feeds-wolves-to-manchester-utd

Some key points here. Fergie quotes IMO were self serving and two the Wolves fans themselves weren't happy about it.

Again, the fans not being happy about it is irrelevent in the eyes of the rulebook.
    Are you saying thats why they got the fine, because their fans werent happy about McCarthy fielding a weakened team against United?

You're stance on this issue is a great example of the double standards that exist in soccer.

And your points have what impact on enforcing the rules ? Your own fans and the opposition manager have to buy into the managers team selection perhaps ?

kippy wrote: »
    Again, the fans not being happy about it is irrelevent in the eyes of the rulebook.
    Are you saying thats why they got the fine, because their fans werent happy about McCarthy fielding a weakened team against United?

You're stance on this issue is a great example of the double standards that exist in soccer.
    Not at all. Liverpool had a big game ahead of them. McCarthy on other hand thought that his team had a chance against Spurs but not against United. And remember this. benitez was resting a few players ahead of a very long season as well. This Wolves game came at a relatively early time of the season.

kippy wrote: »

Exactly. The law is the law, saying "but this....but that" have absolutely no bearing.

Judge: You stole money from the till.
    Me: Yes but he is a millionaire so it won't really affect him.
    Judge: Oh sorry, I did not realise, be on your merry way just don't steal from the poor.
    Me: Thanks judge, I'm glad you saw sense.

:rolleyes:

how are they key quotes? Or at least, how do they back up any point you have made?

No one is saying they did not rest players for the Burnley game.

Their fans being upset doesn't matter one iota.

How in the hell are Fergie's quotes key to this issue, or were you just looking at a reason to have a pop at him?

The point is they rested players for a massive game vs burnley a few days later (as should be their right). You excuse Liverpool resting players based on the fact they had a CL game over 2 weeks later (and then played a stronger side vs Charlton 8 days later)

Not at all. Liverpool had a big game ahead of them. McCarthy on other hand thought that his team had a chance against Spurs but not against United. And remember this. benitez was resting a few players ahead of a very long season as well. This Wolves game came at a relatively early time of the season.

all Irrelevant. unless you can point to where they are covered in the rulebook. CL final ? early in the season ? :pac:

In my eyes,
    Thats all irrelevent....... The rulebook does not allow for excuses.
    I could start making excuses for wolves (their players needed a break, they wouldnt have the fitness levels of Liverpool United etc), McCarthy is battling relegation etc etc

• Advertisement

magma69 wrote: »
    Exactly. The law is the law, saying "but this....but that" have absolutely no bearing.

Judge: You stole money from the till.
    Me: Yes but he is a millionaire so it won't really affect him.
    Judge: Oh sorry, I did not realise, be on your merry way just don't steal from the poor.
    Me: Thanks judge, I'm glad you saw sense.

:rolleyes:
    End of the day FA have set down a precedent. So clubs in the future have to stick the ruling of fielding a strongest team. And at least Rafa put out a team. Not so long ago that United pulled out of FA cup to play in World Club championship which was absolutely appalling IMO.

Not so long ago that United pulled out of FA cup to play in World Club championship which was absolutely appalling IMO.

If only red herrings were food :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Not so long ago that United pulled out of FA cup to play in World Club championship which was absolutely appalling IMO.

wtf does that have to do with this thread?

You're wrong btw, but it has absolutely zero to do with this thread.

Ever heard of a strawman argument? You are the master of them.

End of the day FA have set down a precedent. So clubs in the future have to stick the ruling of fielding a strongest team. And at least Rafa put out a team. Not so long ago that United pulled out of FA cup to play in World Club championship which was absolutely appalling IMO.

what has that got to do with it? Seriously? And they were forced to compete in Brazil by the FA and government who wanted United to help with the WC2006 bid. United didn't want to field a side of youth players in the FA Cup.

Seriously, stop bringing up utterly irrelevant points to deflect from your assertion that what Liverpool did was fine but Wolves were right to be punished..

I totally agree, what United did was appaling-they got nothing of a repirmand for it either because what they did suited an FA agenda at the time.
    The FA havent put down a precdent. That rule has been in the rulebook since it was written, it hasnt been enforced until now. Thats absolutly appaling.
    Do you honestly beleive the premierleague will be able to pin this on Liverpool or United or anyone else for that matter at the end of the season where these clubs will end up fielding weakened teams? Highly hightly unlikely.

Everything about this smacks of double standards. The fact that you wont admit to Liverpool doing the exact same thing on occasion says it all really.

I agree United pulling out was a terrible decision but once again it is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. I hope instead of imposing this rule for the future they should do away with it. Far too much grey areas for this rule to used effectively and fairly.

• Advertisement

They would but Chelsea' second string is top notch and prob would have won :)

Double standards are coming from everyone here. Wolves are delighted with this I'd say. Nothing happens, it worked for them and clubs in the future can't do this like the way Liverpool did a couple years back without thinking they can be punished.

This is perfect for everyone.
    Again Im sure FA were aware of the Liverpool's situation. For me there were exceptional circumstances. Pool were in champions league final. It was a long season. FA were not going to make an example of a team representing its assocation. the better the english teams do the better for the association.

Again Im sure FA were aware of the Liverpool's situation. For me there were exceptional circumstances. Pool were in champions league final. It was a long season. FA were not going to make an example of a team representing its assocation. the better the english teams do the better for the association.

the FA :confused:

Ridiculous. Just ridiculous reasoning. I'm done with this thread. Intelligent debate ended long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

What the hell are you talking about? Have you even answered a single question anyone has asked you? You are so predictable...

Poster: "Why were you okay with Liverpool doing it, but not Wolves?"
    You: "Wolves play their home games at Molineux, and wear an orange type home jersey. Cleary, they are a football team."

You consist of nothing but WTF statements.

You're using this one example for Liverpool. Its not the only time Liverpool could be accused of fielding under strangth sides. United could be accused of doing it a few times a season.
    Its already been said that those exceptional circumstances make no difference on the rules

• Advertisement
Advertisement