Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attention seeking Retriver

Options
  • 18-02-2010 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

My 20 month old Golden Retriver is starting to become a nuisance. He keeps stealing anything he can find because he knows we'll give out to him and he'll get attention. Is there anyway to stop this behavior??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

1) clean up, so there's nothing to steal
    2) ignore him when he does it

simples :D

And then, give him lots of attention on your terms so that he doesn't have to come looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our 7 month old retriever is the same for taking stuff!! He knows it'll end up with us telling him to 'leave it!!' and he'll get a treat when he does! I don't mind it thou because when we're out in the park etc I only have to tell him once and he'll leave whatever it is eg a stick/food/something gross alone straight away without looking if I have something to offer him in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Must be a retriever thing! My lab does it & he's 5 now. Doesn't do it with me as I just ignore it for a bit & then call him to me & take away whatever he has "stolen" - usually a sock or slipper. But he gets great craic out of my daughter - he waits for her to come downstairs in the morning, then grabs the belt from her dressing gown & takes off with it. Cue lots of shouting & chasing through the house & a very happy dog :)

LisaO wrote: »
    But he gets great craic out of my daughter - he waits for her to come downstairs in the morning, then grabs the belt from her dressing gown & takes off with it. Cue lots of shouting & chasing through the house & a very happy dog :)

Our guy pulls our socks off! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Sindy our Retriever/Spaniel cross likes slippers, socks and dirty underwear are her favourite. See attached pictures.
    Ignoring works, she only wants the chase and of course lots of good attention.

• Advertisement

Our puppy pulled everything off one of the the radiators last night - which was mostly my undies :rolleyes::D

Advertisement