Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Build Issue

Options
  • 18-02-2010 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

G'day all,
    Im having a bit of a problem with my first "from scratch" gaming rig. Heres the TLDR version, Im getting no signal or beeps when I start up the machine. Im booting with only the CPU, mobo and PSU connected.

Heres the long version, Iv been looking into building my own computer for a few months before Christmas and intended it to have it ready on the 25th. However, things didnt go to plan so Im only after getting everything about a week ago. My origional idea was to have a budget build that could play some of the modern games without low frame rates. Team fortress 2, mass effect, Call of duty 4, etc. I followed some of the $500 builds on maximumpc.com, tomshardware.com and pcper.com to give me a reference point.

In the end I decided to go with my own franken-build. As time went on my budget increased and I saw more games I wanted to play so I was able to get better components. I used the guides still but looked at their previous recommendations as well as sites like tigerdirect, neweeg and amazon to see what people said.

About 2 weeks ago I got my CPU and motherboard (the last components). I took every precaution ( ESD strap, rubber gloves, set up on wooden desk, etc) so that if something went wrong it wouldnt be down to bad handling. I take my time and 3 hours later everything is hooked up. I press the power button and all the fans start going at 100% but no beeps and no signal. I go over all the connections and try again. Same problem. I take it appart and then put it back. Still wont work.

At this point Im guessing the motherboard or the CPU is DOA so I bring it back to komplett.They test the mobo and say its working fine. I grab my self a new CPU and last night try the CPU mob and PSU again. Still no beeps.

Heres a run down of my rig:
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
    PSU: CIC 550w Gold power supply
    Graphcs card: Sapphire Radeon 4870
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDr3
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 250gb (which I cant find a link for)

So I hand this over to you guys, the experts. What do you think is wrong ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Playsatan wrote: »
    G'day all,
    Im having a bit of a problem with my first "from scratch" gaming rig. Heres the TLDR version, Im getting no signal or beeps when I start up the machine. Im booting with only the CPU, mobo and PSU connected.

Heres the long version, Iv been looking into building my own computer for a few months before Christmas and intended it to have it ready on the 25th. However, things didnt go to plan so Im only after getting everything about a week ago. My origional idea was to have a budget build that could play some of the modern games without low frame rates. Team fortress 2, mass effect, Call of duty 4, etc. I followed some of the $500 builds on maximumpc.com, tomshardware.com and pcper.com to give me a reference point.

In the end I decided to go with my own franken-build. As time went on my budget increased and I saw more games I wanted to play so I was able to get better components. I used the guides still but looked at their previous recommendations as well as sites like tigerdirect, neweeg and amazon to see what people said.

About 2 weeks ago I got my CPU and motherboard (the last components). I took every precaution ( ESD strap, rubber gloves, set up on wooden desk, etc) so that if something went wrong it wouldnt be down to bad handling. I take my time and 3 hours later everything is hooked up. I press the power button and all the fans start going at 100% but no beeps and no signal. I go over all the connections and try again. Same problem. I take it appart and then put it back. Still wont work.

At this point Im guessing the motherboard or the CPU is DOA so I bring it back to komplett.They test the mobo and say its working fine. I grab my self a new CPU and last night try the CPU mob and PSU again. Still no beeps.

Heres a run down of my rig:
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
    PSU: CIC 550w Gold power supply
    Graphcs card: Sapphire Radeon 4870
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDr3
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 250gb (which I cant find a link for)

So I hand this over to you guys, the experts. What do you think is wrong ?

you spent 28euro on a POS power supply that prob doesn't even remotely supply 550W let alone 250W..... EPIC FAIL.
    (this is the classic noob mistake, one I made on my first build also.)

The very first thing you need to do is test with a "proper" PSU.

Would suggest buying a cheap corsair psu or something of similar quality.
    You cannot afford to skimp on a PSU for a gaming rig, just causes tears in the long run.

Yeah a corsair 450W prob costs 66 euro but it will actually provide 450W as opposed to some nasty pos "value" psu that does not even remotely do what it says on the tin....

Ya, psu not supplying ATX spec voltage to the board is likely. Ram could be the problem. You are sure it is in the correct slots as per mobo instructions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Playsatan

Ok, brought the rig into college to have a few of the lads in the CompSoc take a look at it. Just as they were opening the case I noticed one of the 6 pin plugs for the ATX power wasnt in . . . .

Lo and behold, after plugging it in the computer boots up fine. Whats better is that the guys saw my cheap PSU and offered me a 520w corsair to replace it with :D . Im just a bit worried as my graphics card advises I have 500w PSU to run.

/facepalm

The corsair will easily power that setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

david7536 wrote: »
    /facepalm

The corsair will easily power that setup.
    +1 :rolleyes:
    Yeah deffo good enough Psu for that rig.

Glad to see it all ok for you now,enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Playsatan wrote: »
    Ok, brought the rig into college to have a few of the lads in the CompSoc take a look at it. Just as they were opening the case I noticed one of the 6 pin plugs for the ATX power wasnt in . . . .

Lo and behold, after plugging it in the computer boots up fine. Whats better is that the guys saw my cheap PSU and offered me a 520w corsair to replace it with :D . Im just a bit worried as my graphics card advises I have 500w PSU to run.

You should be banned from REAL LIFE for being too freakin' lucky!! :eek:

Advertisement