Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving Email delivery [spam]

Options
  • 18-02-2010 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Is there any techniuques or services available that could explain why and when an email broadcast will end up some or most recipients in the spam folder
    and how to resolve, improve email delivery ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

If there are, I'm sure spammers would love to know, which is likely why it's difficult. That said, there's various FOSS spam filtering projects out there from what I recall, you could probably read up on how their tech works, and if you're likely to be triggering anything inadvertently.

Probably the best approach would be to remind users to add your "from" address as a contact in their email clients when they sign up for whatever it is you're broadcasting. Once the mail is coming from a known contact, most clients will probably be unlikely to filter it as spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Hi Placebo,

What he said, plus if you are rolling your own sendmail you should make sure that
    the headers are correct and all the most common are present.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

One biggie is that the domain of the server from which the mail originates should be the same as the domain in the second part of the address.

When I send a mail from my account @gmail.com, that mail originates from some server whose address at least has gmail.com in the main. But if I use sendmail to send a mail from my hosted account on civiliantarget.net, it's going to originate from unix11.hosting365.ie (or something like that), and as a result, it's probably going to be trashed by the recipient's spam blocker.

You can see the origins of each mail by looking at the last received element in the message source.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

thanks everyone, hey civilian, yes im aware of that, is there any work arounds though without obviously buying that domain/host as we have several potential clients !?

Advertisement