Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax free game design proposal??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Not sure if anyones aware of the latest "ideas" campaign, being spearheaded by the President herself, interesting to see what idea is coming in at number two at the moment...making game design an "art" in the eyes of the revenue. Personally I feel it would be an overnight revolution for all those involved in programming/design

http://proposals.yourcountryyourcall.com/ct/ct_a_view_idea.bix?c=D284E307-BEF9-4396-AF6E-14009EAB8647&idea_id=028E7CC0-E16D-436B-B265-B1A3ECC7A179
    I think thats a brillant idea!
    As a software developer, who loves games, I would be all for this.

I think its pretty obvious that many of these large companies (EA, Activision, Ubisoft) would work on the moon if they thought it would increase their quarterlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    I think thats a brillant idea!
    As a software developer, who loves games, I would be all for this.

I think its pretty obvious that many of these large companies (EA, Activision, Ubisoft) would work on the moon if they thought it would increase their quarterlies.
    Excellent Idea...good thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I'm all for trying to kick-start the industry in Ireland, but I don't think asking the government to promote it and then not get any taxes from developers as a result is going to work very well. Classifying game developers as artists is a bit of a stretch - especially considering actual performance artists like musicians & actors aren't covered by that exemption.

However, tax breaks & incentives for games companies - absolutely, that's long overdue. Too many good game developers have left to go to Canada (myself included), the UK or the States because of the lack of a real industry in Ireland. We're not going to come back until solid studios are set up by experienced developers, and for that to happen the government & the IDA needs to make the country more attractive than the UK. Realtime Worlds have already stated that they'd consider moving from Scotland to Ireland given the right incentives from the government. I'm pretty sure that was a hollow threat aimed at trying to get the Scottish government to get a move on in the same way, but I'm sure other companies would consider Ireland a real alternative given the right incentives.

I've added my vote to the proposal, as I reckon any attention or movement on the issue is a good thing. But I think it's taking the wrong approach, which is unfortunate as it is more likely to be ignored as a result.

Advertisement