Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SARAH JANE

• 18-02-2010 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

is it just me,
    or does anyone else find it cheesy in every episode when she says mr.smith i need you
    and the steam comes out and all the 'epic' music comes on!

ive become a fan recently and cringe every time this happens!!

it just seems a bit stupid

cant get the video up but heres a link ->->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U92ySHOBJxM
    ^^ chessy or wah?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

tis a funny joke, I think the Doctor says something like "does that music always happen" to him when he does it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

No it actually doesn't bother me - it's a bit tongue-in-cheek. The over-bearing music in the parent show annoys me far more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Youtube video fixed for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ixoy wrote: »
    No it actually doesn't bother me - it's a bit tongue-in-cheek. The over-bearing music in the parent show annoys me far more.

Yeah it's nothing compared to the Murray Gold overblown music in Doctor Who. No wonder David Tennant had to shout so much all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I don't watch this but I've seen bits now and then and yes, it is cheesy and makes me cringe every time. Tbh I hate the whole idea of Mr Smith in general. The show is (from what I've seen) more directed towards children than the main show so it's understandable I guess. I think the main reason it bothers me is because any element like that in Doctor Who annoys me. So many good episodes were ruined with pointless childish sub-plots to cater for younger viewers (even though the whole premise of Who is to frighten children and not patronise them with comedy green cacti people). I'm going to shut up before I take up the whole thread with my ranting.

• Advertisement

The show is (from what I've seen) more directed towards children than the main show so it's understandable I guess. I think the main reason it bothers me is because any element like that in Doctor Who annoys me. So many good episodes were ruined with pointless childish sub-plots to cater for younger viewers (even though the whole premise of Who is to frighten children and not patronise them with comedy green cacti people).

Depends which Who you are talking about. RTD said it was the intention of himself and the producers to make it Family Drama, a full drama series, which is, actually, why it was brought back - to anchor the then rubbish BBC1 Saturday evening schedules.

Sarah Jane is totally directed towards children - it airs on CBBC after all - you could argue that the main show is aimed at children primarily, but with added elements for adults. If it wasnt you owuld have had more scary monsters in Waters of Mars and also, for example, Tim Mcinerny's transformation into an Ood in Planet of the Ood would have been a lot more yuck had the show been pitched the other way around.

And, first question Stephen Moffat was asked in an interview was "is Doctor Who a children's programme?" and his replay was very much that it was, and will continue to be.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

SJA is aimed at children but doesn't treat children as idiots - so, for example, we get the touching but dark Trickster episodes each season. Sure they used the bloody Slitheen but even once got them away from the farting fat suit gag (yeah, they were treated more maturely than on the parent show).

Wheras the family show should be pitched more at the middle ground but has too much silliness - Slitheen, Cactus people, stupid walking dough blob things (Antipose?). I think it should treat kids with more intelligence and tone down on the antics - SJA rarely does it, so why should Doctor Who? I don't recall this in the original show (okay I'll forget Pertwee in drag)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I like the fanfare. It's funny, intentionally cheesy and fits with Mr. Smiths often pompous personality. At least they've had enough scenes of people rolling their eyes and telling him to be quiet and hurry up to acknowledge how silly it is.

In my opinion the average episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures shows far more restraint and maturity than the average episode of new Who and anything from season 1 of Torchwood (though to be fair a 2-year old having a massive tantrum shows far more restraint and maturity than season 1 of Torchwood). As a whole Sarah Jane has been the most consistent of the 3 in terms of quality with very few truly bad episodes. Although Torchwood has come a long way and I'm hopeful for the new season of Doctor Who, Sarah Jane is by far my favourite and it's a shame to see it still being dismissed by people as "only a kids show".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

No arguments from me, Sarah Jane adventures is a far more mature program then people give it credit for. You compare dealing with thins like split parents or elderly people with Alzeimers with things like a gas that bonks everything that moves or a lady in cyber heels and a bikini and tell me what's the more adult of the two.
    But at the end of the day it's still a young persons show so you need to reassure the kids that the saviour of the day is on the way. Hence the fanfare.
    As for Murray Gold's work on Doctor Who main, I think it's been just fine. It's no worse then any other sci fi drama around today.

elekid wrote: »
    I like the fanfare. It's funny, intentionally cheesy and fits with Mr. Smiths often pompous personality. At least they've had enough scenes of people rolling their eyes and telling him to be quiet and hurry up to acknowledge how silly it is.

In my opinion the average episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures shows far more restraint and maturity than the average episode of new Who and anything from season 1 of Torchwood (though to be fair a 2-year old having a massive tantrum shows far more restraint and maturity than season 1 of Torchwood). As a whole Sarah Jane has been the most consistent of the 3 in terms of quality with very few truly bad episodes. Although Torchwood has come a long way and I'm hopeful for the new season of Doctor Who, Sarah Jane is by far my favourite and it's a shame to see it still being dismissed by people as "only a kids show".

it is consistant because it knows where it is at - unlike Who under RTD which didnt, and led to a wide and sometimes contradictory remit. Anyone who has watched it knows it is not only a kids show - case in point being the way that Sarah Janes character is portrayed in the show.

• Advertisement
Advertisement