Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you vote for the Greens again?

• 18-02-2010 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭

Just a quick poll here, the reason I ask this is I think if the greens ever grow a pair and drop out of the FF sham government I might even go back to giving the local guy(trevor sargent) a vote.
    Before they were swallowed up by the FF machine I felt they had an important role to play and I think their only mistake was listening to the lies of a party built on lies... The ideals and grass roots of the green organisation are decent and admirable (I think) and they have learned a valuble lesson so maybe they could at some stage in the future be a positive influence on Irish politics.

If they dont stand up soon though I think they will be consigned to history and the small corners of the big parties that have an environmental interest will be rarely heard and even less of an influence.

Would you vote for them again if they did the right thing?

Can a mod add a poll to this thread?

1.Yes I might support the greens once again

2.No, No, Never

3.Who are these greens you speak of?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've a friend who ran on a Green ticket for a local council who I'd vote for again because the guy's got a lot of good ideas and plenty of personal integrity...

That said, I don't think I'd vote for the parliamentary party again until the current crop are completely removed from the party. Lie down with dogs you'll get up with fleas etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Some individuals in the Greens and I would really like to vote for them again - however - they are holding up an awful government.

The vote of confidence for Willie O Dea also makes me question what ethical and moral principles they are willing to innihilate in order to stay in government.

I think I would have to vote against them now as opposed to even just not voting for them sadly. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

Greens had their chance in government and they blew it spectacularly.

I'd have always given them a high enough preference vote, but I won't be wasting my vote on them anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Voted strongly for them in the past 6 years, but they will not get my vote for a long time to come.

Interestingly I am considering giving my vote to FF as much as it pains me. As much as I hate them, FG and Labour are just all wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I voted for them last time out - I feel betrayed, lied to, disrespected, violated and most of all as though I owe those of you that managed to see through them a huge apology.....

I am so, so sorry for that bad, bad vote I cast that day.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Never mind the disgrace of yesterday and today, NAMA is the reason I will never entertain that shower of spineless lackeys again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

I was just thinking about this this morning on the way in to work, while listening to that Gogarty fella from the Greens on RTE Radio 1.

In the times we live in, a Green party has an important place in politics. Unfortunately, I'll never vote for this shower of sh*tes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

never.

I might consider voting for a 'real' Green party with some integrity and sense, but never these shower or pricks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭billbond4

I wouldnt waste the lead on a pencil by giving them a vote in the next general election, they are only a shower of muppets !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Raiser wrote: »
    I voted for them last time out - I feel betrayed, lied to, disrespected, violated and most of all as though I owe those of you that managed to see through them a huge apology.....

I am so, so sorry for that bad, bad vote I cast that day.....

+1

From the moment Sargent u-turned, I knew we'd been sold a pup.

Never again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭John_Mc

MaceFace wrote: »

Interestingly I am considering giving my vote to FF as much as it pains me. As much as I hate them, FG and Labour are just all wrong!

More like shockingly, I cannot fathom people who would vote to keep FF in power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Councillors -yes.

TD's- NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭scr123

Have not ever voted Green but will give them a preference in next election. They came into government just as the long awaited crash was beginning to happen. They could have taken the easy way out and withdrawn from government immediately. Whether they stayed in to achieve some Green policies or accepted the country needed stable government to carry out the harsh measures necessary I do not know but I say fair dues to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tommy Bateman

I think it was a bad idea for FF to give them a chance, sure many of the country problems started around 2007, the same year as they got into government. Thank god for Lenny is all I can say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

I voted for Mary White the last time. I have a small bit of time for herself, but I will never in my life time vote for the Greens again. Their timid, pointless, lapdog approach in government has been hard to watch. They are the kingmakers of this government. They are holding it in place and yet Fianna Fail are running rings around them. I look forward to seeing them get their just deserves in the next General Election.
    Listening to the Green TDs recently is really annoying me also. They claim they have to stay in government in order to implement their green agenda. Well the punishment for implementing their green agenda over the last couple of years in a Fianna Fail will result in them being in opposition for the next 20 years, with little of no TDs, and implementing no green agenda whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Nope. Not ever. As far as I'm concerned all elections will be between FG/LB/SF and Independants for me from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever..

Would consider voting for an Environmental Party, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Voted them number 1 last time, and vowed never again after the u-turn on going with FF etc. And things since then have reaffirmed that I will never vote for them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

If they'd dumped FF today, I'd have considered it if Gormley stood down.
    Now, never.

Trotter wrote: »
    If they'd dumped FF today, I'd have considered it if Gormley stood down.
    Now, never.

Well as my local Green TD is Paul Gogarty, still no way!! He is an embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

I gave a green a vote in the last general election,, because i wanted to get that shower of FFrs out. I would not have,, if i knew they were going in with FF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Well as my local Green TD is Paul Gogarty, still no way!! He is an embarrassment.

If he was the only one on the ballot paper, I'd stay at home and stick on a wash.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Jeebus - I'm a member and I wouldn't vote for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

No vote, no preference . . . . for the first time ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Voted 1 Green the last time, never again. Will get a preference ahead of FF but in danger of falling behind SF in my list. Will be voting to get the current shower out so the Greens will suffer for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Despite their performance in government, I blame everything on FF, not the greens, I feel sorry for them - I would consider it, because I like my local councillor, I almost always vote Labour, I know there's no chance of a green TD where I am living so might give green number 1 labour 2 - not 100% certain though - if they have a transfer pact with FF or run on the basis of reelecting the government then no way - I always give FF/FG lowest preferences

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Despite their performance in government, I blame everything on FF, not the greens, I feel sorry for them

FF wouldn't have had a chance if the Greens hadn't propped them up, though.

So while FF are primarily to blame, the Greens are the reason they got away with everything - from the initial u-turn, to NAMA and now the latest fiascos and contempt for the Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

If Gormley goes, I'd consider it based on how they get on with a new leader. If they keep up with this malarkey, no chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

I've voted Green all my adult life. I even campaigned for the Party last two general elections.

They will never, ever get a vote from me again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Would you vote for the Greens again?

NO NEVER EVER NEVER TREE HUGGING FIANNA FAIL supporting ******** :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

John_Mc wrote: »
    More like shockingly, I cannot fathom people who would vote to keep FF in power.

I believe that should we get through the full term of this government, FF will be absolutely shoe in's in the next general election. For a start they already have a staunch following who will vote for them no matter what, then you have the constituency favorites in which I woulld include Bertie the liar and Willie the liar, both assured of places should they run and finally, the main opposition are rapidly devising their own downfall led by Enda "now you'll see the real me" Kenny.

Our system of politics will assure FF of being in government next time round. The whole political system needs to be reformed for there to be any real change to holistic policy formation as opposed to self protectionism.

OI wrote: »
    I believe that should we get through the full term of this government, FF will be absolutely shoe in's in the next general election. For a start they already have a staunch following who will vote for them no matter what, then you have the constituency favorites in which I woulld include Bertie the liar and Willie the liar, both assured of places should they run and finally, the main opposition are rapidly devising their own downfall led by Enda "now you'll see the real me" Kenny.

Our system of politics will assure FF of being in government next time round. The whole political system needs to be reformed for there to be any real change to holistic policy formation as opposed to self protectionism.
    right so maybe you'd answer the question of the thread? it is about the greens not fianna fail

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

right so maybe you'd answer the question of the thread? it is about the greens not fianna fail

I voted green in the last local elections. I believe that we may be on the verge of a green economy as our survival as a human race may depend on it. Does John Gormley have any tangible solutions to offer to any of this countries ills? Not that I've seen. Have they completely sold out to get into power? Yes but they have pushed some stuff through that would not have been possible if they were in opposition and that's the way of this world. Poolbeg has hurt them aswell and Gormley is experiencing unprecedented unpopularity amongst county managers. I may vote for them again. I believe in the green agenda. Politics is politics, a means to an end. Better to get some policies through than none at all. And if the greens are qualified on the environment and ecological affairs, they may lead governments around the world in the not too distant future.

I voted green in the last local elections. I believe that we may be on the verge of a green economy as our survival as a human race may depend on it. Does John Gormley have any tangible solutions to offer to any of this countries ills? Not that I've seen. Have they completely sold out to get into power? Yes but they have pushed some stuff through that would not have been possible if they were in opposition and that's the way of this world. Poolbeg has hurt them aswell and Gormley is experiencing unprecedented unpopularity amongst county managers. I may vote for them again. I believe in the green agenda. Politics is politics, a means to an end. Better to get some policies through than none at all. And if the greens are qualified on the environment and ecological affairs, they may lead governments around the world in the not too distant future.

Thanks but have to say I don't really agree. The few things the Greens have got through, have been at the cost of their identities, principles, values, morals and their souls. And indeed the cost of the trust of a lot of voters who put them there. In my opinion that is far too high a price to pay, and I no longer trust anything they say and am not sure what they even stand for any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I think it was a bad idea for FF to give them a chance, sure many of the country problems started around 2007, the same year as they got into government. Thank god for Lenny is all I can say.
    "Lenny" of Nama fame? Can you point to any Green decisions which destroyed the Irish economy? Unlikely.

But the real disaster is for environmentalism in Ireland, which will take a long time to recover from the Green disaster

I probably will vote 1 FG 2 Lab 3 Green at the next election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Would take some convincing for a Green parliamentary candidate to receive transfers from me anytime in the near future. I feel that there is a need for a strong Green presence in Irish politics and honestly believed that they would perform an important role when I gave them transfers at the last election. Won't be happening next time I vote. Very disappointed with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Voted green no.1 last time, this time if they come knocking on my door I'm setting the dog on them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

anyone who votes green or FF in the next election should be taken to a room and sterlised so they cannot pass on their dumbass genes on to future generations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Our system of politics will assure FF of being in government next time round.

that will only happen if a party goes into coalition with them,just like this time with the Greens/PDs/InDs

Personally I think FG and Labour will get enough seats to form a Government, the question is will Labour do a deal with FF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Riskymove wrote: »
    that will only happen if a party goes into coalition with them,just like this time with the Greens/PDs/InDs

Personally I think FG and Labour will get enough seats to form a Government, the question is will Labour do a deal with FF?

Not a chance in hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Never have voted for the Greens, Never ever ever will. Never.

Never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

The Irish psyche: My father voted for them, my Grandfather voted for them, and since I am not capable of independant thought... I will vote for them too

'When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.'
    Eric Hoffer

Not a chance in hell.

I would have said that about the Greens last time!!

If no-one will join them they wont get in, the days of overall majority are well gone...at best they would need a few Inds...but given their very weak position, especially in Dublin, I cannot see them winning that level of seats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

I would NEVER vote for those hypocritical toadies:mad:

I would have said that about the Greens last time!!

If no-one will join them they wont get in, the days of overall majority are well gone...at best they would need a few Inds...but given their very weak position, especially in Dublin, I cannot see them winning that level of seats

The greens had an agenda but also immaturity, Labour are a different animal. They could easily have entered government with FF last elected. They were being courted but turned the advance down flat (they told FF to get to be fucked;) )

The greens had an agenda but also immaturity, Labour are a different animal. They could easily have entered government with FF last elected. They were being courted but turned the advance down flat (they told FF to get to be fucked;) )

yes but if the FG/Labour numbers did not add up how long would Labour wait in opposition?

yes but if the FG/Labour numbers did not add up how long would Labour wait in opposition?

If you look at what happens to any party that gets into bed with the current FF party then you will see the reasons for avoiding them like the plague.

PDs - No More
    Greens- soon to be extinct

Not a good indictment for being a partner in a FF government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

The Green Party are behaving like total amateurs. They are not cut out for politics as was demonstrated by Eamon Ryan the other day in the Dáil, he was like a nervous school boy. The sooner they go the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭freewheeler

bytey wrote: »
    anyone who votes green or FF in the next election should be taken to a room and sterlised so they cannot pass on their dumbass genes on to future generations.
    At last! a quite brilliant suggestion! Well done Sir! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Simply "No" - never.

• Advertisement
Advertisement