Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Leinster Good Friday - Reprecussions for City?

Options
  • 18-02-2010 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

looks like Munster Leinster in the ML will take place in TP on Good Friday according to the Examiner. Is this a bit of a disaster for the city financially?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

As in that the pubs will be shut? I guess, its kinda of mad to have a big game on the one of two days of the year you cant go to a pub afterwards, the city will be full of rugby fans with nothing to do afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

club houses and hotels are exempt arent they

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Icky Thump wrote: »
    club houses and hotels are exempt arent they

Why? Cos their not Catholic?

What a stupid law, If I was a barowner and not a Catholic then Id open my pub for the day no doubt about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

panda100 wrote: »
    Why? Cos their not Catholic?

What a stupid law, If I was a barowner and not a Catholic then Id open my pub for the day no doubt about it.

who gives a sh*t about religion!!! open anyways. and if you get in trouble, see what the courts say about it. Its some crock of shi*e! The sooner the evil horrible bastard church is rid of in this country the better :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Liam79 wrote: »
    who gives a sh*t about religion!!! open anyways. and if you get in trouble, see what the courts say about it. Its some crock of shi*e! The sooner the evil horrible bastard church is rid of in this country the better :mad::mad::mad:

Better still, say the guards told you it was ok to open and swear by it under oath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Roadend wrote: »
    Better still, say the guards told you it was ok to open and swear by it under oath.
    lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

here is a story of a restuaraunt that opened on a good friday and served alchohol

http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=79640

its a complete disgrace that this should be an issue.

pubs should not be closed on a good friday.

all the tea totallers out there will say why is everyone so annoyed its only one bloody day. you shouldnt need to drink one day in a year.

its not that i cant drink that annoys me. its im been told i cant drink.

good friday is a catholic holiday. its a black fast. surely it would make more sense to close butchers on a black fast???

even if they just treated good friday as any other bank holiday. if you are religious then dont go to the pub. its your choice.

if i wanna take one day off from drink a year i will choose for myself what day that is...........................

bloody backward country

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I wonder if they could get the game moved to the Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeteSanchez

We are playing the Saints (ironic) the following weekend Kess so the players will want all the rest they can get. This isnt a game against the Dragons after all!! ;)

As Icky said, its not that everyone wants to drink, its that we are not allowed to, just to keep a few paedophile protectors happy
    That galls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's not the first match to be palyed in TP on Good Friday, so what's new about this one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What date is good Friday this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

krudler wrote: »
    the city will be full of rugby fans with nothing to do afterwards

Is the city really that sad ? That there's nothing to do other than drink ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Yeah,past 6 in the evening the only place you can get a nice coffee is the lounge in the George hotel. The only other places that are opened are pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Liam Byrne wrote: »

This is one of the dullest cities in Ireland, theres nothing to do after 6 aside from the pub or cinema, no decent late night coffee shops in the city, the place turns into a ghost town once the shops close

This is one of the dullest cities in Ireland, theres nothing to do after 6 aside from the pub or cinema, no decent late night coffee shops in the city, the place turns into a ghost town once the shops close

Agreed

And LB stop doing the pioneer on it! After matches people like to relax and have a few drinks. Its what we do. Do you think any Leinster fans are gonna wanna cone all the way down knowing that once the game is over they can go back to their hotel and.....watch tv..?? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I thought if you were a resident in a hotel you could get a drink on Good Friday. Definatley so in some hotels, The Clare Inn, The Queens are two that I have experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

And LB stop doing the pioneer on it! After matches people like to relax and have a few drinks.

I never "did a pioneer", so quit with the OTT replies!

I just said that it's a sad state if there is - as some people claimed - feck all else to do in the city.

And that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I wouldn't blame people for being annoyed at not being able to get tanked up before the game. How else do you expect them to be able to sit through 80 minutes of pushing and shoving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Afaik, sports clubs can serve drink on Good friday so there will be some drink in Thomond Park. Also, hotels can serve residents, so travelling fans should be fine. I'm sure there will be a few lock in's. Maybe Justice O'donnell will give an exemption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Ah sure won't Willie fix it?? He'd get you a brothel license.... you can serve alcohol as well.... Only joking.....a Leinster supporter.....:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A good day for a house party so.

Confirmed
    TP
    Good Friday
    8.05 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Confirmed
    TP
    Good Friday
    8.05 pm

Good Friday 2010 - Agenda.

11.30am wake up and subdue hangover with threats of more alcohol.
    11.35am - Make good on threats using stockpile of beer from fridge.
    12.05pm Eat medium rare steak for breakfast, using holy picture as a makeshift platter.
    12.30pm Invite everyone you know over to your house for the Rugby later.
    12.35pm+ Drink, eat meat and blaspheme until crucifixion would seem like a pleasant alternative!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Pockets full of booze fo the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

there's nothing to stop people buying their own beer the day before and having a few drinks on the train/houses etc before the game

as mentioned above, the club houses at the ground can also serve

One thing that I am curious on is that when there is a Munster game in TP, the local media always report it as being worth about 10 million or so to the local economy.

Yet I was reading an article today about the Ireland-Brazil match being held in London, and basically they were saying that if such a game was held in Croke Park with 60,000 in attendence, then it might be worth up to 5 million to the local economy there.

What I am curious about is how some reckon a Munster game with a crowd of 15k to 25k can be estimated to be worth twice the value to the local economy as a game that could bring in 50k to 60k of people.

My gut reaction is that the 10 million figure is just spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Kess73 wrote: »
    One thing that I am curious on is that when there is a Munster game in TP, the local media always report it as being worth about 10 million or so to the local economy.

Yet I was reading an article today about the Ireland-Brazil match being held in London, and basically they were saying that if such a game was held in Croke Park with 60,000 in attendence, then it might be worth up to 5 million to the local economy there.

What I am curious about is how some reckon a Munster game with a crowd of 15k to 25k can be estimated to be worth twice the value to the local economy as a game that could bring in 50k to 60k of people.

AFAIK It was arrived at from a report compiled by local accountants. I think was based around surveys of visiting fans and local fans and their spending habits for the duration of their time in Limerick. I'm sure the report would be available online somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭glanman

Kess73 wrote: »

yep it is normally spin. I have done work on Economic Impact studies and it is all about how it is phrased... for example on one project I did, one way we were able to work out the event was worth 30million+ while another way it was only worth between 4-5.5million which was fairer assessment... For example they have to decide if they count limerick people as economic impact... by this I mean, if a limerick person spends €100 at the match is that economic impact or just money that they would have spent in limerick another day and another time if the match wasn't on? Leinster fans and non Limerick Munster fans are the ones who have a real effect on the city, limerick people are just displacing their spending...

So in a nutshell, 10million is bull but lazy journalists dont check this out, just take the local politician/PR/Marketing persons word! I would say the true impact would be closer 1million to 2.5million, depending on the ability to buy drink but obviously this would need to be surveyed to get a decently accurate figure...

• Advertisement

glanman wrote: »
    yep it is normally spin. I have done work on Economic Impact studies and it is all about how it is phrased... for example on one project I did, one way we were able to work out the event was worth 30million+ while another way it was only worth between 4-5.5million which was fairer assessment... For example they have to decide if they count limerick people as economic impact... by this I mean, if a limerick person spends €100 at the match is that economic impact or just money that they would have spent in limerick another day and another time if the match wasn't on? Leinster fans and non Limerick Munster fans are the ones who have a real effect on the city, limerick people are just displacing their spending...

So in a nutshell, 10million is bull but lazy journalists dont check this out, just take the local politician/PR/Marketing persons word! I would say the true impact would be closer 1million to 2.5million, depending on the ability to buy drink but obviously this would need to be surveyed to get a decently accurate figure...

Yeah I was just curious on it. I grew up in Liverpool and as most know there are top Premiership teams in the city, meaning that pretty much every weekend there is a game that has forty or so thousand people at it, with large numbers coming from other parts of England or abroad, but the studies done on the economic impact of those matches, despite having way more people coming from abroad than many of the Munster games, was coming in at around 3 to 4 million pound worth of business for the city.

So the 10million plus that the local guys say the games in Limerick are worth always seemed very high to me.

I have a feeling that your figures would be closer the mark to be honest, in terms of actual financial impact in Limerick for Munster games.

Advertisement