Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD funding for NI

Options
  • 18-02-2010 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

Howyas,
    I'm applying for a PhD in Queen's, it's a funded studentship except that they won't fully fund applicants from the Republic (only fees and they give 100% funding to NI & UK applicants). I've been looking into the NUI travelling studentship scheme, but I've little confidence in them funding me. I've also been looking into the North-South Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme, but again I don't want to be putting my eggs into this basket either. The thing about this PhD is that involves going to India for 18 months so there's a fair bit of travel involved.

Anyway, does anyone know of any PhD funding for me in NI/UK that will cover a stipend?

Cheers in advance!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

What's your subject area?

Re. the residency requirements at QUB and their stipends - do you know how they classify you? Is it country of birth/nationality or where you're applying from? Also are they School funded?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

pow wow wrote: »
    What's your subject area?

Re. the residency requirements at QUB and their stipends - do you know how they classify you? Is it country of birth/nationality or where you're applying from? Also are they School funded?

It's a funded research project in the School of Geography, Archaeology and Palaeoecology so my research area would be in coastal geology/physical geography. I haven't been resident in the UK for three years (applying from the Republic) so I'm classified as an 'EU resident, fees only' which only covers 20% of what I need, good but not great when the project involves working in India for 18 months. The school is part of the DEL funding but again, UK - full stipend, EU-fees only.
    It's a bit ridiculous to be honest but sure can't change bureaucracy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I know, and one thing you'll notice when (if?) you do go to university in NI is how many of the general bursaries/funds administered by the colleges are for NI students only :rolleyes: It's been a campaign issue in the SUs for years (at least they peddle it as one to the students with Irish accents!) but it's still going strong.

The DEL aspect is non-negotiable on the residency from experience, is there nothing the School will do for you?

pow wow wrote: »
    I know, and one thing you'll notice when (if?) you do go to university in NI is how many of the general bursaries/funds administered by the colleges are for NI students only :rolleyes: It's been a campaign issue in the SUs for years (at least they peddle it as one to the students with Irish accents!) but it's still going strong.

The DEL aspect is non-negotiable on the residency from experience, is there nothing the School will do for you?

Feck all, I've been told by my potential supervisor to stick down in my personal statement/cover letter that "I realise I do not qualify for full funding in NI and that I am looking for alternative funding at present... etc... etc..." Well at least it's a campaign issue... bit silly to be honest, you'd think in this day and age that once you're in the EU that funding is funding and everyone should be entitled to the same. It's not just NI either though, I looked up the National Environmental Research Council (NERC) and they pretty much are identical with their nationality criteria, UK only-full bursary, EU-fees only. I suppose I may just apply for the ones that I have already mentioned and see what happens, hopefully my proposal is strong enough. I am in a way lucky though because it's two professors, one in QUB and the other is a World Bank Consultant with a third external supervisor who's a professor as well and they're pretty much the top people in their fields so that might help.
    Cheers anyway!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 John Wells

El Siglo wrote: »
    Howyas,
    I'm applying for a PhD in Queen's, it's a funded studentship except that they won't fully fund applicants from the Republic (only fees and they give 100% funding to NI & UK applicants). I've been looking into the NUI travelling studentship scheme, but I've little confidence in them funding me. I've also been looking into the North-South Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme, but again I don't want to be putting my eggs into this basket either. The thing about this PhD is that involves going to India for 18 months so there's a fair bit of travel involved.

Anyway, does anyone know of any PhD funding for me in NI/UK that will cover a stipend?

Cheers in advance!:D

I would definitely apply for the NUI Travelling Studentship. If you've got a well developed project and a produce a good proposal you'll definitely be in with a chance of receiving funding.

• Advertisement

John Wells wrote: »
    I would definitely apply for the NUI Travelling Studentship. If you've got a well developed project and a produce a good proposal you'll definitely be in with a chance of receiving funding.

It's worth a shot anyway, better than sitting on my backside and praying for 42 grand of funding! I've applied for a PhD before (last year) and funding from IRCSET, didn't get it but I wasn't disappointed. But this time seems different because I'm really interested in this topic and I've actually added something to the proposal that wasn't given to me (a methodology that could be used that as far as I know has never been employed in this field, and definitely not in the location that I'm looking at). It just feels so right this time that I can't get the shaft! Well, I'd better prepare my proposal for them in any case. Thanks for the advice folks, really appreciate it.

Advertisement