Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Stir Fry tips

Options
  • 18-02-2010 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Tonight i think I'm going to make a nice beef stir fry. Stir frying is not something I do usually, and I normally reserve beef for stuff like steaks, burgers and roasts (mmm) but I had some small rib eye steaks that I froze way back when so I may as well use them up.

My questions are these:

Does the fact that the beef was frozen make a difference to the taste? If so how to counterac?

Any tips regards marinading? I was going to use chilli, soy sauce and brown sugar and fry it on a super hot heat for about 2 mins to just sear the outside.

Any suggestions welcome! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Oyster sauce to go with your soy sauce.

Beef should taste the same if its fully thawed before hand.

I've found using honey instead of sugar tastes better and spring onions go very nicely with stir fries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Add some five spice powder if you have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

This is an extremely delicious and easy beef stir fry, serves two.

100g noodles
    2 tsp oil
    150g broccoli
    100g sugar snap peas, halved length ways
    4 scallions, sliced
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    175g steak, thinly sliced (or as much as you like)
    2 tsp sesame seeds
    2 tbsp clear honey

Cook your noodles, and set aside.

Heat half the oil in a non-stick wok. Add the broccoli and peas and a good splash of boiling water from the kettle. Steam-fry the veg until slightly tender. Add the noodles and half of the soy sauce and toss together. Divide between two bowls and keep warm.

Wipe out the wok and heat the remaining oil until smoking. Tip in your steak and stiry fry for 2 mins over a high heat. Add the sesame seeds and cook for 1 more minute, then add the honey, and toss to coat well. Add the remaining soy sauce and allow it to bubble briefly.

Spoon the beef and honey sauce over the veggies and noodles and serve immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

looks good mite use that receipe myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

If you marinate the beef before hand it won't fry because the water in the marinade creates steam, also the sugar in the soy and oyster sauces will burn in a super hot wok.

As Neuro-praxis said above, try frying thinly sliced steak in a little oil in a very hot wok, then add the veg and aromatics, cooking until fragrant. Add a little water or stock to help steam the veg, then add the sauces. All done in a matter of minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement