Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car insurance with quinn direct

Options
  • 18-02-2010 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Can i get my insurance by calling into one of their offices/buildings. Or does it have to be by phone?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hi darraghm92, as far as I know, they deal only by phone or online (www.quinn-direct.ie). You might be able to get cover with them through a broker though.

I'll move this thread to the Motors Forum, it's probably better suited there, and you should get more responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Isn't online easier ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

You can go into their office in Blanchardstown and buy cover there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

if you can do face to face it is better, if there offices are near you....

you can barter with a person on price... you cant barter with an on line server....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

if its cheap insurance you are looking for i recently moved from quinn to briton insurance and save 550e. 21 year old male, not a bad saving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

VW 1 wrote: »
    if its cheap insurance you are looking for i recently moved from quinn to briton insurance and save 550e. 21 year old male, not a bad saving!

+1 saved €300 over quinn:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

i saved 400 by going to allianz. they even count named driver experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I'm with Quinn ever since I went private insurance and stopped driving company cars.

Last year, I had to make up a quote from 123.ie to beat them back down to 300, where I was willing to pay. This year, they wanted 345! Having rang them twice, the best they could do is 328! Plus allowing 2 claims against my full NCB. If I thought I was going to crash twice in one year having not claimed in so many years (and my excess is the same value as the policy), then I would just have to go and shoot myself before I injure myself and others. Instead, i got quotes through www.insure.ie and www.quoteme.ie. RSA Select and RSA Driver seem the best. With €10 extra, you get personal accident insurance etc. So for €272 +€10, I get the policy I wanted with Quinn Direct but having rang twice, they're out of options and out of time. It pays to be non-loyal. I didn't cause 9/11, I didn't cause the floods in Munster and I didn't invest unwisely in Anglo Irish Bank. So I will keep my €50-€70 thanks very much and, next year, if Sean Quinn's on the money, then he gets mine. But not this year.
    Incidentally, for the exact same quote and policy from RSA, there was a large differential. An unacceptable one.
    Incidentally, for a policy with equal merits, Quinn had quoted €345 on renewal, RSA Select Private car was 272 with insure.ie and another example, RSA Best Car was €315 with Quoteme.ie. AXA was in the stratosphere on both intermediary websites. €800+ FFS !!! No wonder they're giving away a €1000 and using punter's margins to advertise the fact on the radio. They'd want to be giving away a week in a quality hotel to be charging €800 for my insurance, 37 yr old male, rural, full NCB, 10 yr old 90hp Xantia, TPFT. I mean come on.

Hope Quinn give you a great discount face to face but don't let them fob you off with world factors, global warming, the state of the nation or the imminent arrival of 2012 and the Lemurians.......... :-D

Just tried Britton Insurance for an online quote and got €397! Daylight robbery. It shows it pays to really dig around for your quotes as it will benefit different driver types differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭donaghs

They're often the cheapest. I had a bad experience with them though and would avoid them in future. My car got broken into and damaged as a result, and without getting into libellous territory, I got the impression that they didn't expect me to claim - and if I did try, the increase in premium after would be too painful. Can PM you more details if you want. In order to claim and get repairs done I had to go to a specific garage which had a specific price.
    I eventually switched Insurer due to the premium increases. They also dragged their feet when it came to passing on the paperwork for the new insurer.

I find online application don't really work in reality. when you are talking to someone over the phone you can get more discounts from simply discussing the various options and angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

hi, whats the excess on your policy, if ya dont mind me asking? im with quinn (€300 excess), just got a slightly better quote from britton, but the excess is €4000!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

im with britton and my excess is €190 im surprised at 4k try ringing them as they reduced my quote by €130 just by ringing them and re-entering details

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭FGR

I'm currently with Quinn but have noticed that 123.ie are offering better quotes to me at the minute. Not going to be renewing my insurance until September but will most definitely be considering them in the future.

Also - I've noticed that Quinn's database of vehicles is a little behind. They don't list the new 1.6tdi engines on Skodas for example. I wonder will they recognise the model through their Car Reg checker?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

donaghs wrote: »
    They also dragged their feet when it came to passing on the paperwork for the new insurer.

Had this happen to me also - nearly lost my policy with my new insurer due to it. Ended up I had to threaten legal action to get the paperwork out of them - it went on for over 2 months. Also had problems with them relating to a claim but I'd imagine that a lot of people could tell you a similar story.

What it comes down to is that they are cheap for a reason, the ryanair of insurers. All goes well, you pay your premium and all is good, but if you need to claim or have someone try to claim against you in duboius circumstances you realise why so many people have unflattering things to say about Quinn.

To sum it up I would say you are better off going with another insurer first time for the sake of 50 or 100 quid to save yourself the stress and hassle if the worst happens and they have to actually do what they are paid to.

But then again thats just my 2c :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I would avoid them for car insurance. All its good for is to cover for the guards, in otherwords just to say your insured. I went to aviva this year through a broker. Quinn was 50 euro less but their not worth it. I have commercial policies with them and they are the best value allrite

Its cheaper by the way to ring as opposed to getting a quote online from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

without getting into libel territory you should try being the injured party by someone insured by quinn direct.....:mad:

Absolute shower of fcukers...having being at that end my advise would be to seek legal advise as soon as you get involved with them as it will save you time, money and effort in the long run and will act as a buffer for the bulls*ite they will try to get you to settle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ColinB90

without getting into libel territory you should try being the injured party by someone insured by quinn direct.....:mad:

Absolute shower of fcukers...having being at that end my advise would be to seek legal advise as soon as you get involved with them as it will save you time, money and effort in the long run and will act as a buffer for the bulls*ite they will try to get you to settle.

Absolutely agree. I too have been the injured party and held to ransom by this excuse for an insurance company. They are good till you need to claim and then you will realise what they are really like. Tp sum it up, they are fraudulant scumbags. Life would be much easier for everyone if they had have gone bust!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chill.ie (Conor)

Hey guys, I work with Chill.ie, an online insurance broker. We are based in Blackrock and compare over 16 insurers and are pretty competitive for young drivers. You can click here for a 3 minute online quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ive found Chill to be very hit and miss. A couple of years ago they saved me nearly €300. Last year the best they could do was nearly €1000 more than what I eventually got the insurance for. Well worth checking them out tho for the sake of a few minutes filling in the online form.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Just got a quote with chill to see what they offered. Hibernian & Quinn are charging around the €1,700 mark. Chill.ie €3,400

@OSI: Hi, I did try to input the following details into the nononsense.ie quote engine
    Male 22, Hyndai 1.6 Lantra, NCB 2 years, No Penalty Points and it refused to quote me. I would suggest giving us a call and we can see what we can do with the online price you got. Thanks!

• Advertisement

@watsinaname: Would you mind me asking what you got a quote for? I find this surprising as we compare over 16 insurers and are generally quite compeitive for young drivers. Thanks!

OSI wrote: »

Thanks for clarifying exact details, impressive demonstration btw.

Advertisement